Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endowment Mortgage

Options
  • 15-02-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have an endowment mortgage due to mature at end of this year, there will be a considerable shortfall in the policy that was to cover the mortgage, I was thinking of going down the legal route regarding the shortfall in the policy but have been informed that this is not possible now due to (Hall V ACC Irish Supreme Court 2012) judgement.
    Does anyone know what this judgement was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

strongbow2 wrote: »
    I have an endowment mortgage due to mature at end of this year, there will be a considerable shortfall in the policy that was to cover the mortgage, I was thinking of going down the legal route regarding the shortfall in the policy but have been informed that this is not possible now due to (Hall V ACC Irish Supreme Court 2012) judgement.
    Does anyone know what this judgement was.

Have a look through courts.ie and you should be able to find the judgement details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Who are you thinking of taking to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 strongbow2

Thinking of taking the company that sold me the policy to court, for poor performance of the policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

strongbow2 wrote: »
    Thinking of taking the company that sold me the policy to court, for poor performance of the policy.
    Does it mention past performance not being a guarantee of future performance?

No it does not.

It says that:-

''Irish Life have two safeguards in place for repayment of the mortgage capital at the end of the term. Irish Life uses a conservative growth rate assumption in setting premium rates - 7% per annum for the indexed premium payment plan (Homeloan Account) and 7.5% for the level payment plan (Level Homeloan Account). The average performance of Irish Life's managed fund over the period 1974 - 1992 has been 13.4% per annum. Whilst this was achieved in times of unusual economic circumstances Irish Life expects an average growth rate of 9.25% per annum based on the company's assumption of a future low inflation environment. This provides a considerable margin over 7.0% and 7.5% assumed in setting premium rates for repayment of the loan and so provides security for the endowment mortgage holder''.

I also have a Select 5 Homeloan Quotation that was given to me setting out the repayment plan. It shows a surplus of £13179 at the end and growth rate of 9.25%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Poor performance wouldn't be likely grounds for a wining case. Poor advice at the point of sale would be much more likely to win.

Did the person selling the mortgage to you warn you of the risks associated with an endowmwnt mortgage? Did they tell you it would guarantee to pay off your mortgage?

They did but I am statute barred from bringing a case re. sale of policy because it was more than 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

I know that some years ago, when similar cases starting coming to light, the life companies began sending out "reviews" of these endowment policies warning people of potential shortfalls and what they should do about them (i.e. lower your expectations or increase your contributions). Did you receive any such warnings along the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

You could look into this:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=140170
    Even though they were sold the product in the 90s, they were still compensated.
    Was it with an uk or irish company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

9.25% was far too optimistic and wouldn't be quoted nowadays. At the time however it was probably valid and had the financial crisis not occurred you would have been sitting pretty right now.

Another problem is it's possible Irish Life did not sell you the plan, but rather a third-party broker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement