Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The unfilmable..........

Options
  • 15-02-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

So the IT has a very interesting piece today about Cloud Atlas being turned into a film, and other such works that were considered "unfilmable".

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2013/0215/1224330042279.html

It's a very subjective thing to argue the merits of, but it's a very interesting discussion.

I covered the subject for a french exam in college, and I was asked, in french, no less, for an example of films where the movie was better than the original work!

I mumbled something about the Shawshank Redemption, it was the first thing that came to mind!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Ulysses, although I've heard there's a movie version that's actually alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Unfilmable: Don Delillo's Underworld.

Movie better than book: Winter's Bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Not a novel but would love to see someone attempt a film version of Peer Gynt..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Ulysses, although I've heard there's a movie version that's actually alright

There is a movie all right. Finnegans Wake is unfilmable.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a great book, and it made for a great film, but the film and book are very different beasts. Much of the book might be considered 'unfilmable' but it's a good example of how such material can translate well to the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 ScriptKittie

2666, by Roberto Bolano would be a difficult one to film.

Advertisement