Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portable media device recommendation for the GYM/ Running

• 15-02-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi all
    My ipod finally packed in after 4 years of trusty service last week, leaving me in need of a suitable replacement for the Gym.
    Essentially I'm looking for a Gym/ jogging friendly non-smartphone type device (Gym has a strict no phones policy) that will support wi-fi/3G (either or both) the usual media playing apps like Deezer, itunes & Spotify, plus some radio & tv apps etc.
    It will need to be robust enough to withstand sweat, movement & friction, but is not excessively bulky or heavy I guess.
    Budget up to €200 or thereabouts

Appreciate any suggestions you might give!

Comments

just buy a sansa clip zip for the music aspect - good, cheap and ideal for gym with built in clip. Are you going to be web browsing and running apps in the gym.
    only other options that I can think of that fits everything is something like Galaxy Player / Galaxy S WiFi 3.6 or Galaxy Player /Galaxy S WiFi 4.2.
    Basically a Galaxy S phone without the phone part.[HTML][/HTML]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

This + this =Win!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Thanks for those recommendations chaps. My preference would be for something similar in size (physically) to the new nano but android os. Id only be using it for deezer and Google music etc in the gym- would be cool to have the Google play options/ intetwebs too though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I use a nexus 7 in the gym on the bike and cross-trainer to watch films or tv programmes. I don't use it on the treadmill though, I prefer to run without tunes or films. The Nexus 7 is just the right size for me and lets me use the gyms wi-fi to play on t'interweb if I want to

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Archos might have something in your preferred size range, maybe Sony too? I'm not recommending either as i just don't know but at least theyre a couple of brands you can check out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

room_149 wrote: »
    Thanks for those recommendations chaps. My preference would be for something similar in size (physically) to the new nano but android os. Id only be using it for deezer and Google music etc in the gym- would be cool to have the Google play options/ intetwebs too though

The only thing I can thing of with Android is the Sony NWZ-Z1060
    http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/sony-walkman-nwz-z1060-32gb-z-series-android-mp3-player/1067458217.prd

But very expensive. You might be better simply buying a phone like the Xperia Go. its quite small, if a bit pricey. Maybe some cheaper one.

Advertisement