Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extending my wlan from UPC - Thomson using old eircom netopia

• 15-02-2013 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi There,

I am trying to extend my WLAN coverage within my house using my old netopia eircom router .

I now have the UPC service and I have the Thomson TWG870U router.

I have looked through older threads here and have got some good info, but I am still a bit confused .

I see a lot of mentioning of the fact that the Thomson router does not support Bridging which is what I think I am trying to do, but I am not 100% sure. All I want to do is increase the WLAN coverage on the upper floors of my house, so I'm not sure if this functionality exists in the Thomson modem ?

Excuse my lack of up to date technical knowledge ..

I have a lan connection from my Thomson router position to the 2nd floor where I want to set up my netopia router.

I have followed the instructions here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83180366&postcount=2

Now when I connected the router , initially it worked fine, but then it stopped and my UPC modem also lost it's WiFi connection.
    I reset the UPC router and it had the same problem.
    When I disconnected the interconnecting cable, the UPC modem worked fine.

Now after reconnecting the cable , the Netopia does not appear to be working ..

Do I need to make any changes to the UPC modem to enable the Netopia modem to work correctly ?

Do I need to enable bridging on the Thomson modem via the Wireless / Bridging option ?

Any help greatly appreciated ,

Cheers,

Bob

Advertisement