Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Show - Feb 15th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Ah JA, I hope you don't mean that :( These women have been to hell and back.

he's obviously a fúckin braindead moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Im off,take it easy folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It would break my heart to know my mother went through this. So sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Liveline listeners have been to hell and back as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

coolhull wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see any humour in mocking these poor women[/Quote

That is a very fair point however you have to ask why rte spend a week and a half on liveline and now the late late show on the same subject whereas nothing on cocaine which in my opinion has caused as much devastation in Ireland but they won't touch it because of late Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

COYW wrote: »
    I think Enda should apologise too and should have done by now. He may be wary of doing this though because it leaves the State open to claims of compensation. I was listening to a piece on the radio during the week and they were calling for €50K a piece in compensation for each victim from the state. Whilst I sympathise with the victims, I do not believe that monetary compensation is necessary.
    the money should be for all the work that they did and never got a cent for it.then there should be paid for the pain they have suffered.

i hope that nuns that did this to the women rot in gell the c1unts

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

absolute bastards!
    these are terrible stories.
    Is heaven exists then not one of those nuns should get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I think Enda should apologise too and should have done by now. He may be wary of doing this though because it leaves the State open to claims of compensation. I was listening to a piece on the radio during the week and they were calling for €50K a piece in compensation for each victim from the state. Whilst I sympathise with the victims, I do not believe that monetary compensation is necessary.

When you take into account the Catholic Church's far greater level of moral responsibility its utter madness that people are saying that the State should be the first source of compensation.

Its not as if the Catholic Church is stuck in terms of assets given their massive holdings of land throughout the country.

It should be the church paying out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The people who ran the launderies should have their graves dug up and removed from this country, they are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I don't believe this woman!

That's fine, if that's your opinion. But remember, it is only your opinion.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    When you take into account the Catholic Church's far greater level of moral responsibility its utter madness that people are saying that the State should be the first source of compensation.

Its not as if the Catholic Church is stuck in terms of assets given their massive holdings of land throughout the country.
    hellboy99 wrote: »

The church were the state back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The Liveline listeners have been to hell and back as well ;)
    Well it's a pity about ye :rolleyes:

The church were the state back then!

The State abrogated their responsibility to the Church because it suited them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

The stories tonight are much worse than portrayed in the media this week - I listened to a lot on this story but I didn't hear about people eating off the floor and having to wear broken cups around their neck for 3 days as punishment.

Maybe the stories need to be highlighted more- the emphasis in the media was on the reasons for going in but less on what happened after.

Maybe I'm wrong here but the stories tonight are much worse than I thought came out of the report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

coolhull wrote: »
    That's fine, if that's your opinion. But remember, it is only your opinion.

That first woman, why didn't her mother just take her home. I notice that she won't blame her mother who is ultimately responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

The State should seize church assets, flog them off and use that money to compensate victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

they'd be too afraid to do it #noballs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The stories tonight are much worse than portrayed in the media this week - I listened to a lot on this story but I didn't hear about people eating off the floor and having to wear broken cups around their neck for 3 days as punishment.

Maybe the stories need to be highlighted more- the emphasis in the media was on the reasons for going in but less on what happened after.

Maybe I'm wrong here but the stories tonight are much worse than I thought came out of the report.

There's serious issues with the quality of the report.

Personally I'm not sure whether it was a deliberate whitewash or ineptitude but the quality of the report was very very poor.

More information at the link below.

http://www.mcgarrsolicitors.ie/2013/02/06/how-to-read-the-mcaleese-report-into-the-magdalen-laundries/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

*Call*:P

1.knives.jpg

Mind them knives CK......:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

please forgive the cynic in me, but these two women have been "promised" a public apology from Enda Kenny

Sorry love, but Enda doesn't keep promises. He has broken so many so far that man is literally being paid by the state for telling lies constantly at this stage.

Anyway, I hope that this is one promise that he does eventually keep and for those commenting as to why he has not done this so far, is that he wants to make sure he gets the best public exposure he can from his "public apology" Its not about the women wronged by the state its about Enda's publicity portfolio

These wonmen were treated horrifically and should not only get an apology but also compensation from the state.

Under Bertie's reign, the State came to a financial settlement with the church, it was for very small money though :mad:
    In June 2001, the hierarchy of the Catholic Church in Ireland established the Catholic Church Commission on Child Sexual Abuse (Ireland), also known as the Hussey Commission, to investigate how complaints about clerical abuse of minors have been handled over the last three decades.
    In February 2002, 18 religious orders agreed to provide more than 128 million Euros (approximately $128 million) in compensation to the victims of childhood abuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sex_abuse_cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Boom__Boom wrote: »

The RC church should be the one and only source of compensation. They ran the show back then. They controlled the government.

Totally agree.
    The State abrogated their responsibility to the Church because it suited them to do so.

No, the people gave the church the power to control the state in good faith and they abused it to a disgraceful level. I blame the RC church not the State. If any elected member attempted to question the church he/she would have been crushed like a bug in a flash.
    Koloman wrote: »
    The State should seize church assets, flog them off and use that money to compensate victims.

Not a chance. The RC church still has too much power for that to happen.

Enda Kenny says sorry.

Big deal.

Everyone says sorry. It's a pretty cheap word in these days. Those women were failed by every one of their peers, be it family, church or state.

My Grandmother had a guesthouse in Dublin in the 40's and the laundry came from those ladies and when my mother recalls it she was devastated to learn what went on in them.

I can only imagine how bad it must have been. We have very little to be proud of in this regard.

Well it's a pity about ye :rolleyes:

I'm sorry MrsD, but there have been plenty of outlets to air these stories for the past 2 weeks - Liveline, Primetime, The Pat Kenny Radio Show, Drivetime, Matt Cooper, Newstalk Lunchtime, George Hook, etc. etc. I don't think it's too much to expect to sit down on a Friday night and be entertained to some extent. An item about child obesity followed by stories of the Magdalene Laundries is not exactly Friday Night entertainment fayre. No wonder so many Irish viewers are tuning into Graham Norton these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Depressing end to an evening. Thoughts with those who were affected with the last story- complaining about TLLS seems a bit trivial after that story,

Night all :)

Those women were failed by every one of their peers, be it family, church or state.

In some cases families were more concerned for their own reputation and standing in society than their daughter's welfare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The State abrogated their responsibility because from the foundation of the State the RC made absolutely sure it had a stranglehold on education (and health) and has proven itself to be the most successful brainwashing organisation ever .... and sadly it continues. Remember the old Jesuit maxim "give me the child & I'll show you the man". Like most Irish people up to recently the politicians couldn't even countenance that the "holy nuns" would do anything like what has come out recently anymore than they could even dream that a priest would abuse a child.
    If the church had a shred of moral decency (which they don't) they would make absolutely certain that every last one of these women had, in their old age, living conditions and health care etc on a par with that available to the so-called religous who used them as slave labour.
    You can bet your life you won't see any nun on a waiting list for treatment or on a hospital trolly ... it's the Mater Private & the Blackrock all the way for those paragons of virtue.

I'm sorry MrsD, but there have been plenty of outlets to air these stories for the past 2 weeks - Liveline, Primetime, The Pat Kenny Radio Show, Drivetime, Matt Cooper, Newstalk Lunchtime, George Hook, etc. etc. I don't think it's too much to expect to sit down on a Friday night and be entertained to some extent. An item about child obesity followed by stories of the Magdalene Laundries is not exactly Friday Night entertainment fayre. No wonder so many Irish viewers are tuning into Graham Norton these days.
    I disagree with you Harry, I fear you are missing the obvious here.

These ladies want to keep the pressure on our Taoiseach, if they disappear off our television screens and radio they could be forgotten about. If Enda had the decency to apologise and commit to a re-dress scheme these ladies would be at home watching the LLS like the rest of us.

In some cases families were more concerned for their own reputation and standing in society than their daughter's welfare :(

For sure MrsD.

I don't think, unfortunately, the "Valley of the Squinting Windows" has died a quick death.

That thought alone makes me sad indeed..

I was told recently that my cousin's daughter went to Australia because she was made redundant... Lately she made contact from Belfast where she moved to with her newly born....I just sighed....!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

+100%

(having me backing you should take away all the credibility of your argument, Har :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Enda Kenny says sorry.

Big deal.

Everyone says sorry. It's a pretty cheap word in these days. Those women were failed by every one of their peers, be it family, church or state.

My Grandmother had a guesthouse in Dublin in the 40's and the laundry came from those ladies and when my mother recalls it she was devastated to learn what went on in them.

I can only imagine how bad it must have been. We have very little to be proud of in this regard.

But when Enda does say sorry it will be made a big deal by the media and by RTE especially.

"Wow, wonderful compassionate Enda"

It makes me sick, I am not saying the English get it right, but their prime minister has over the last few months, on publishing of reports, apologised immediately on behalf of the state and has to my mind not made a huge deal about it or milked it, Bloody Sunday, Hillsborough and another one a few weeks ago.

+100%

(having me backing you should take away all the credibility of your argument, Har :D)
    Never a truer word spoken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

The Catholic Church seriously failed this country. Sickening.

No, the people gave the church the power to control the state in good faith and they abused it to a disgraceful level. I blame the RC church not the State. If any elected member attempted to question the church he/she would have been crushed like a bug in a flash.

No. The State took the lazy way out.

Education: "Leave that to the Catholic Church"

Hospitals: "Leave that to the Catholic Church"

Orphanages: "Leave that to the Catholic Church"

Adoption: "Leave that to the Catholic Church"

etc. etc. etc.

The State and the Catholic Church are equally complicit. The Catholic Church for their actions, and the State for their inaction. The fact that Enda Kenny refused to publicly apologise was more to do with financial reasons that anything else, at a time when we continue to bail out our corrupt banks. It says as much for Enda Kenny's lack of moral fibre as it says for anything else.

We could seriously do with some balance around here, there were quite a few decent nuns and priests in this country too. They weren't all bad. I attended a secondary school run by nuns and out of the six nuns that taught me only one caused me any issues.

The fact that Enda Kenny refused to publicly apologise was more to do with financial reasons that anything else, at a time when we continue to bail out our corrupt banks. It says as much for Enda Kenny's lack of moral fibre as it says for anything else.

I'm reminded of the time that Michael Noonan followed the advice of lawyers when dealing with the late Bridget McCole and the Hep C sufferers. He went on to regret that decision and I fear the Enda could make the same mistake if he doesn't move fast to apologise unreservedly for the State role in this abuse. To date, it appears that Fine Gael have learnt nothing from their past mistakes.

I think if Jesus were alive today, he'd burn down Vatican City.

All these palaces filled with gold and silver, and the head man wearing Prada shoes, goes against everything Jesus stood for. He would be appalled and sickened.

popeshoes.jpg
    Pope-Gold-Pearls.jpg
    stmarks-2.jpg

I'm reminded of the time that Michael Noonan followed the advice of lawyers when dealing with the late Bridget McCole and the Hep C sufferers. He went on to regret that decision and I fear the Enda could make the same mistake if he doesn't move fast to apologise unreservedly for the State role in this abuse. To date, it appears that Fine Gael have learnt nothing from their past mistakes.

Michael Noonan is/was an insensitive ignoramus.

Enda Kenny is an insensitive ignoramus because he takes the advice of his legal advisors, instead of doing what is right.

As a previous poster said, David Cameron has come out and unreservedly apologised on behalf of the British government for various things over the past couple of years, irrespective of whether this places the British government financially responsible. Enda Kenny could do with taking a leaf out of David Cameron's book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

We could seriously do with some balance around here, there were quite a few decent nuns and priests in this country too. There weren't all bad. I attended a secondary school run by nuns and out of the six nuns that taught me only one caused me any issues.

I have to agree. I am CoI and we took some amount of abuse in secondary school. The priests that visited our school for RE were some of the most respectful and best people I came across. There are/were some really good priests and nuns out there.

I think if Jesus were alive today, he'd burn down Vatican City.

All these palaces filled with gold and silver, and the head man wearing Prada shoes, goes against everything Jesus stood for. He would be appalled and sickened.
    The Queen of England is head of the Church of England and she has some cool palaces, jewels and shoes too ;)

I never forgot Michael Noonan's sneers then MrsD......Our neighbour was infected by a blood transfusion and sadly passed away a few years later.

A few years later I met some of the victim's of the Hep. C scandal. I was humbled and horrified.

May it come around to haunt that sleveen for his remarks.

I never forgot Michael Noonan's sneers then MrsD......Our neighbour was infected by a blood transfusion and sadly passed away a few years later.

A few years later I met some of the victim's of the Hep. C scandal. I was humbled and horrified.

I think that Michael Noonan has served his time for that 'offence', it definitely contributed to Fine Gael's electoral wipe-out back in 2002 when he was leading the party.

I would have thought that Noonan would have been acutely aware of how important it would have been for Enda to apologise in a timely fashion but it appears that Enda needed to see how this report would be received before making his next move.

And not forgetting his decision to cut the carers' respite grant, when the man himself has had personal experience of these things. Then again, he had enough money to minimise that "problem" for himself.

The Queen of England is head of the Church of England and she has some cool houses, jewels and shoes too ;)

True that. Just another glorified cult then. :)

The whole thing sickens me. I know many good priests - just the hierarchy and what they should to be standing for, has been lost, long, long ago.

And my own brother will be a priest in two years time.

• Advertisement

I think that Michael Noonan has served his time for that 'offence', it definitely contributed to Fine Gael's electoral wipe-out back in 2002 when he was leading the party.

I would have thought that Noonan would have been acutely aware of how important it would have been for Enda to apologise in a timely fashion but it appears that Enda needed to see how this report would be received before making his next move.

I think Enda is sitting on the fence, he was quick enough to deride the Church when it suited the public opinion.

The ML issue is just not a political hot potato.

Time for some comedy folks - Michael Noonan style ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Queen of England is head of the Church of England and she has some cool palaces, jewels and shoes too ;)

So that justifies the pope living in luxury?

So that justifies the pope living in luxury?
    No, I'm just pointing out that other religious leaders enjoy significant wealth too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I have to agree. I am CoI and we took some amount of abuse in secondary school. The priests that visited our school for RE were some of the most respectful and best people I came across. There are/were some really good priests and nuns out there.

How can there be any good priests if they promote discriminatory ideas?

• Advertisement
Advertisement