Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland and Daylights Savings

• 15-02-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if Ireland is getting rid of Daylight Saving in the near future, I know that they were considering it a year or two ago. Also, what would be the advantages of such an abolition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Pretty sure the government are open to any savings, no matter how trivial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Russia got rid of it and rightly so. Now that electricity is available everywhere there's no real need for it anymore.
    Ireland and the UK, I think, were thinking about it, but unless the entire EU agrees it's unlikely to happen. Maybe they will all agree on it, couldn't see any harm with doing away with it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

If they do get rid of it, hopefully its removed after we get an extra hour asleep, not when we lose one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I actually like daylight savings :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

what about the farmers though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In fairness, I think they should get rid of it. With the whole "global warming" thing, surely not having an extra hour of sunshine would help cool the earth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

could only do it if UK does it too, would be weird going over the border and having to change time for a 5 min trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I was going to start this thread yesterday but work got in the way (stupid job - allowing me pay bills etc). Anyway, it's about time they got rid of this outdated farting around. Europe as a whole should abandon it and we should set our clocks to the same time as Europe. Spain & Portugal are south of us and yet they're an hour ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I was going to start this thread yesterday but work got in the way (stupid job - allowing me pay bills etc). Anyway, it's about time they got rid of this outdated farting around. Europe as a whole should abandon it and we should set our clocks to the same time as Europe. Spain & Portugal are south of us and yet they're an hour ahead?

Portugal are in the same time zone as us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

yeppydeppy wrote: »

What does being south have to do with it? Time isn't worked out by latitude, and as already pointed out, Portugal is in the same time-zone, as is Iceland (most of the time).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If we abolish daylights savings we get rid of this classic Irish scene and we'd be poorer for it:

"Ah shure there's a grand stretch in the evening all the same isn't there?"

*hitches leg up onto rung of the gate and watches a cow walks past*

"Well, I'd better be off now. Take care of yourself and tell your mother I was asking for her."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A talking cow? :eek:
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    "Well, I'd better be off now. Take care of yourself and tell your mother I was asking for her."

Advertisement