Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Psychology Degree; what are my options?

Options
  • 15-02-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am currently in my final semester of a 4 year B.A. Liberal Arts degree majoring in Psychology with English and am increasingly finding myself very stressed about my (potential lack of) future prospects.

Firstly, I was much too young when I went to college which affected the quality of my studies significantly as I simply did not want to be there. However, for my parents sake I persevered. In second year I became depressed with the monotony of it all and my QCA was brought down to 2.0 (scraping a pass) out of 4.0. In 3rd year I picked myself up and became serious about my studies after taking out a loan to study abroad in Australia for my placement. I got good grades but these don't count toward your QCA. I have brought up my QCA to 2.7 in the last 2 semesters (which took a lot of work) but I think it might be too late to bring it up to 3.0 to qualify for a 2.1 degree.

So now I will (realistically) probably be left with a 2.2 degree. Every source I go to for potential advice on the areas that I could move into next year say 'there are many options available'; however they never give specifics. They say social work, management or a masters. But it's difficult to get work in social areas without a social science degree.

I guess what I'm asking is if there are so many options for someone with a degree of my kind; what are they? :confused: Can anyone give me any specific areas/job titles? Even random ones I wouldn't have thought of? I'm not financially/mentally ready for a Masters yet so that's not an option for the next year. I'd really appreciate some advice/experiences.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Human Relations. But you'd need a specific qualification I imagine - I've no idea.
    Social Care Worker.
    Maybe do a Social Work post-grad at some point.
    Join the Gardai.
    Go into retail managagement.

This is probably why you weren't given any specific ideas - it could be anything. Psychology is to do with people, so any people-related work is relevant.

Have a think about what kind of work you'd like to do; try to get a job in a related area; and then do a post-grad, once you know if the particular course is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

Have you looked about doing an internship. It would be a good idea to narrow it down to what you could see yourself happily doing e.g. working with children, older people, occupational, environmental psych, heath. Maybe look abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lunafizzle

Hi SozzieJozzie

What are you interested in? Do you wish to pursue a career in an area of psychology? Or social work? What environment do you see yourself working in? :)

- LF

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I was very disappointed to get a 2:2 in my psychology B.A.(a long time ago). I went to Uk and worked as a nursing assistant in a psychiatric unit in a general hospital for a year or so. That gave me the experience to move into local authority social services working with adults with mental health problems in the community. My employer sponsored me to do social work as a masters. A number of people on the also had primary degrees in psychology . I hope it works out for you. Occupational therapy may also be an option. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SozzieJozzie

Thank you all so much for all of your advice and experiences :) I have decided to go down the route of HR manager instead as I have worked in retail all my life :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement