Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sowing bulbs

Options
  • 15-02-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Having bought a load of bulbs in lidl,i see on the packets to sow bulbs march /april and was wondering would it be okay to sow now even if its a little early ?.Will bulbs still come on ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

ganger wrote: »
    Having bought a load of bulbs in lidl,i see on the packets to sow bulbs march /april and was wondering would it be okay to sow now even if its a little early ?.Will bulbs still come on ??
    Its possible you have misread packet,and they flower march/april. Most bulbs (spring flowering) are planted oct/nov.
    Which bulbs are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

They're Summer Flowering Bulbs. The reason they say march/april is to ensure they are planted after the last frost has passed. Now is too early, temperatures at night are too low & chances are the frost might kill them.
    I've a ton of bulbs waiting to be planted & it's very hard to resist the urge.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Then go for it! :D Plant them now alright Cotton, but in a pot with good quality compost and a little grit at the bottom to leave good drainage as bulbs in general don't like excessive moisture or they will rot. Forget planting outside now as it's still too early.

Under thew compost over the next few weeks they will start forming their roots, and when the temperatures rise they'll sprout :) You can then carefully remove them in april and plant outside.

But remember - leave the pots under cover in your shed or even indoors to encourage earlier foliage if you'd like, when green leaves appear, leave under natural daylight beside a window, they'll be fine :)

NM

Advertisement