Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On-campus accommodation

• 15-02-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on heading to UL next year and I'm just wondering what would be the latest I could book for on-campus accommodation ? I know the closing date will be based on the demand, but what would be the approximate time by which the on-campus is completely booked out? I would be looking at Plassey and Kilmurry (the cheaper ones :P).

I'm asking this as I'm not too sure if I'll be able to stay on-campus next year and I don't want to waste my deposit! I need to see if I can get a summer-job and if I can, I will go ahead and book it.

So yeah, I'd appreciate all the replies. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sg12139793

I am a first year student in UL and I'm staying on campus in Cappavilla Village, it's the best way to meet new people and there are lots of parties!

I booked Cappavilla the week before the LC results came out last year and got my place, however Plassey and Kilmurry book up much quicker because they are cheaper. One of my housemates wanted either Plassey or Kilmurry but didn't get a place because it was too late so had to settle for Cappavilla.

I'm pretty sure though you get your deposit back if you do not take the accommodation.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

sg12139793 wrote: »
    I am a first year student in UL and I'm staying on campus in Cappavilla Village, it's the best way to meet new people and there are lots of parties!

I booked Cappavilla the week before the LC results came out last year and got my place, however Plassey and Kilmurry book up much quicker because they are cheaper. One of my housemates wanted either Plassey or Kilmurry but didn't get a place because it was too late so had to settle for Cappavilla.

I'm pretty sure though you get your deposit back if you do not take the accommodation.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the answer! I really want to stay on-campus but I'm not sure if I'd be able to afford it. I know off-campus is a little cheaper than on-campus so that's why my parents want me to go off. I honestly don't mind where I stay, as in I don't mind which student village, I just really hope it's on campus so it'll give me the chance to meet a lot of people.
    The reason why I am choosing or I prefer Plassey or Kilmurry is because they are cheaper than the others. I looked up Cappavilla there and it's fairly expensive, too much for me! :P If I had to resort to it though, and if I get a job I suppose I would be able to afford it!

About getting your deposit back, according to the UL website you don't get it back, which I was really disappointed about. You get nothing back if you cancel the accommodation/don't get into UL or whatever.

By the way, you only have to pay deposit before you get your results, right? It wouldn't make sense having to pay for the accommodation before you know if you're staying there or not. Stupid question but it's good to know for sure!

Thanks again for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

sg12139793 wrote: »
    ray2012 wrote: »
    About getting your deposit back, according to the UL website you don't get it back, which I was really disappointed about. You get nothing back if you cancel the accommodation/don't get into UL or whatever.

http://www.studentliving.ul.ie/index.jsp?p=116&n=127
    What happens when I cancel my room in August?
    If you wish to cancel your booking, you must do so within 3 days of receipt of your CAO offer. Your application fee will be refunded less an administration charge of €50.00 in October. If you do not cancel within 3 days of receipt of your CAO offer, you will forfeit your deposit.

I must have missed that completely! I must have been looking at the students of 2nd/3rd/4th year! Thanks a million for that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I really think that it's worth the extra in 1st year. It's your first time away from home and it takes away hassle with landlords,bills etc. I'm in 3rd year and I've only ever stayed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

IMO, on campus is the best option in 1st year if you can afford it, for the reasons Ryan outlined above.

Also, Dromroe seems to fill up the fastest (last year all the places for the Autumn Semester were filled within about two-three weeks of applications opening), and Thomond seems to have places available the longest (this isn't based on any figures, that's just what seems to be the case).

Generally you should get a place somewhere even if you apply in August, because you'll have people who applied in March who end up not going to UL and the like. We were told during the Open Day in 6th year that they do everything they can to ensure that any incoming first year who applies gets a room.

Thanks for the posts :) Yeah I'm really hoping for on campus! Hope I can afford it. I'll be leaving the booking fairly late, until Summer anyways I'd say, so I still hope to get a place ! Thanks for all the help. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Given that you don't have TV, Internet, electricity, heating or bin bills on campus; it's not necessarily more expensive.

ray2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for the posts :) Yeah I'm really hoping for on campus! Hope I can afford it. I'll be leaving the booking fairly late, until Summer anyways I'd say, so I still hope to get a place ! Thanks for all the help. :D
    I wouldn't be holding hope of getting a place that late but you can always try
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Given that you don't have TV, Internet, electricity, heating or bin bills on campus; it's not necessarily more expensive.

I think it still is. I paid €2200 for 15 weeks in Cappavilla and a house is €70 a week or so plus a bit for bills so say €100 for easy figures, that's quite a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be holding hope of getting a place that late but you can always try

I think it still is. I paid €2200 for 15 weeks in Cappavilla and a house is €70 a week or so plus a bit for bills so say €100 for easy figures, that's quite a difference.

I agree on campus is a bit more expensive, but you have benefits of security, being able to go home if you've a free hour between lectures etc

Its difficult to find a house for just 15 weeks x €70, it may be advertised as €70p/w but in reality you pay more. Most student landlords want 9 months rent (39 weeks), so even if its split between 2 co-op students, both students are probably going to have to pay 19.5 weeks x €70 (whether they stay 15 or 19.5 weeks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Eva213

Have ye been able to book and place a deposit yet for on campus accommodation? Or is it yet to open to applications this year?

Eva213 wrote: »
    Have ye been able to book and place a deposit yet for on campus accommodation? Or is it yet to open to applications this year?

It opened about2 weeks ago.

Advertisement