Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web browser woes

Options
  • 15-02-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭

I'm using Opera at the moment, but I need to make a switch. I've used lots of different web browsers over the years. As soon as one starts causing me more hassles than they're worth, I switch. Opera is annoying me a lot the last couple of days, crashing multiple times a day. It isn't really ideal for me to just switch back to Firefox or Chrome, though.

Opera does have advantages like the opening page having loads of webpages, but also I've got my PC hooked up to my TV now so I can have my 360/PS3 and PC all hooked up. I wouldn't have room to hook my 21" in my room and have my TV, so I use my TV for all three. The good thing about Opera is I can move the thing showing the tabs down so I can actually see the tabs and know which one I want to switch to. If I just go to say, Chrome or Firefox, I'd have to change the size of the window, change tab, maximize window.

With the hopes that someone might have encountered this issue, and found some kind of add on that fixes it, I'm posting here. So, anyone go through anything like this? I'd get over the absence of the wheel if the program didn't crash multiple times per day, but I change tabs so much that isn't ideal. And, no, I don't want to get in to an ALT + Tab nonsense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Opera is annoying me a lot the last couple of days, crashing multiple times a day.

It is very unlikely that Opera's gone bad in the last couple of days, the problem is most certainly with your system.
    Opera does have advantages like the opening page having loads of webpages

Speed dial? No longer unique to Opera. ;)
    The good thing about Opera is I can move the thing showing the tabs down so I can actually see the tabs and know which one I want to switch to.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Torqay wrote: »
    Speed dial? No longer unique to Opera. ;)
    I know Chrome allows for something like 6. I have a crazy number of them on Opera. Somehow, unless I'm really not keeping up with things as well as I think, the competition isn't up to scratch in this respect.
    Huh?
    You can drag the part where all the tabs are down a bit so they can be easier to see. If using a regular PC screen, it isn't an issue, but for me, I don't see the tabs on my set up, so I'd need to be able to drag that down a bit.

Edit: Chrome does 8 actually. Unless there is some add on that allows for more that I'm not aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I know Chrome allows for something like 6. I have a crazy number of them on Opera.

Chorme does 8, Iron does 12. 9 Tops Sites in Firefox (but that can be changed with addons, I believe).

Anyway, I'm sure there is a reason why Opera keeps crashing on your PC lately. Have you checked for malware, cleared the cache? Disable plugins, if you're using any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Torqay wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm sure there is a reason why Opera keeps crashing on your PC lately. Have you checked for malware, cleared the cache? Disable plugins, if you're using any.
    It has been about 2 hours since it crashed last, so that's good. I always check for malware, haven't cleared the cache and I disable plugins/add ons that I don't need.

I was never a fan of clearing the cache, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Well, two Firefox add-ons I found with 5 minutes of searching seem to address your issues: Super Start (Speed Dial) and Tab Scope (Tab preview). When it comes to customisability, you just can't beat Firefox.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

last few updates of opera seemed to cause a few
    problems. Bad news is that they are changing over to the same engine that chrome uses this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I've found Opera to get a bit unstable after every couple of updates, the resolution to which was to re-install the program and it'd be good as new.

Can you take a look in Event Viewer and see if it crashes with any particular error? How much memory have you got on your system, could it be running out causing the crash?

It's a shame it misbehaves so often, it's my favourite web browser and I always find myself coming back to it but it does it's damndest to make me hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Advertisement