Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LMO Job Offer in Regina

Options
  • 15-02-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey All,

I am a qualified plumber living in Dublin and I have been offered a job in Regina, Canada for a company taking me there on a LMO(Labour Market Opinion). They are offering me 23 dollars an hour for a 2 year contract which seems low wage for a plumber. I understand I need to have completed the red seal exam before you can get full plumbers rates but I have been told you could get 23 dollars p/h as a labourer over there. I went through a company called Actyl from here(a recruitment company based in Canada) who were unable to secure a working holiday visa for me and they tell me this is the government recommended wage. Has anyone any experience with one of these jobs. Any input would much be appreciated.

Regards

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

$23 a hour is not bad, Regina is fairly cheap place to live compared with other cities in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

fairly low rate mate plumbers should be earning in the mid 30 dollars an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cush84

yeah from what I've been told from lads over there fourth year apprentice rates are around 30 an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

yea they are mate you should be really earning a lot more i applied for a few labourer jobs and i have been offered in around that ball figure 20-25 so surly for a dude with his cert and plumbing experience you should be on 10 -12 bucks more:D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    yea they are mate you should be really earning a lot more i applied for a few labourer jobs and i have been offered in around that ball figure 20-25 so surly for a dude with his cert and plumbing experience you should be on 10 -12 bucks more:D

Did you apply for Labouring jobs in Regina?

LMOs are only approved once the wage structure fits with the HRSDC says are the average
    Your 23 bucks an hour puts you right in the middle of the range.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/report-eng.do?area=29307&lang=eng&noc=7251&action=final&s=1

This survey is a couple of years old now so maybe 2 to 3% higher with a cost of living increase.
    Did you negotiate for more on condition of passing the Red Seal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ford explorer

cush84 wrote: »
    Hey All,

I am a qualified plumber living in Dublin and I have been offered a job in Regina, Canada for a company taking me there on a LMO(Labour Market Opinion). They are offering me 23 dollars an hour for a 2 year contract which seems low wage for a plumber. I understand I need to have completed the red seal exam before you can get full plumbers rates but I have been told you could get 23 dollars p/h as a labourer over there. I went through a company called Actyl from here(a recruitment company based in Canada) who were unable to secure a working holiday visa for me and they tell me this is the government recommended wage. Has anyone any experience with one of these jobs. Any input would much be appreciated.

Regards
    I live in Regina it is not a cheap place to live if you have a significant other and kids you need to be earning at least $27 28 an hour with overtime! On the plus side if your good at your job you will get a raise not many good tradesmen here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

i know its not regina but i was offered a job in northern Alberta as plumber/pipefitter at 42 dollars an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ricel

Hi Crush84

My husband and I visited Canada earlier this year and fell in love with it, we desperately want to go live there and would just like to find out how your experience is going? My husband is also a plumber, qualified in South Africa which is equivalent of an NVQ2 in the UK but not trained in gas. Do you think gas training is essential to find work in Canada. It is something he would like to learn but we would like to get to Canada sooner tgan later. Also I wanted to ask about the company you went through, how long did it all take and would you recommend them? And how are you enjoying Regina?

I would really appreciate any info you could send our way,.

Many thanks,
    Lauren

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Roberteve wrote: »
    Hi I'm a qualified plumber from Drogheda I'm looking to head to Canada I've missed out on the iec visa for this year whats my best option to get a visa to work in Canada. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Find a job offering LMOs

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/rch-eng.aspx?OpPage=50

They might not mention LMOs but contact and ask anyway

Try calling up and talking to companies as they might respond better than email

TRy also www.kijiji.ca and www.monster.ca for jobs also

Get yourself on a skype premium account
    For 9.99 a month you get unlimited international calls

This is what an employer needs to know about LMOs but no harm for you to read it to understand the process
    Be aware it can take up to 16 weeks to process

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Priv98

Ricel wrote: »
    Hi Crush84

My husband and I visited Canada earlier this year and fell in love with it, we desperately want to go live there and would just like to find out how your experience is going? My husband is also a plumber, qualified in South Africa which is equivalent of an NVQ2 in the UK but not trained in gas. Do you think gas training is essential to find work in Canada. It is something he would like to learn but we would like to get to Canada sooner tgan later. Also I wanted to ask about the company you went through, how long did it all take and would you recommend them? And how are you enjoying Regina?

I would really appreciate any info you could send our way,.

Many thanks,
    Lauren

Hi Lauren

I just want to ask if your husband managed to get a job with South African plumbing qualification? My husband also have a South African plumbing trade certificate and we want to relocate to Canada. Any tips/advice will be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement