Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No access rights to external hard drive

Options
  • 15-02-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm having problems with a WD Passport 250GB external HDD. Connected it this morning (Windows 7 Professional 32 bit) and windows wouldn't assign it a drive number. I could see it in device manager and it said it was functioning but I couldn't get it picked up in my computer.

I downloaded a program from Western Digital called 'Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows'. I deleted the contents of the drive (it's backed up) and ran a full diagnostic. No problems.

Now windows recognises the drive instantly and assigns it a drive letter.

But the drive is still not accessible.

Every tutorial I can find to sort this online has me going into Properties>Security>Advanced>Permissions and changing ownership from there. But with this drive that tab is blank, only saying 'You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings'.

I've tried running a takeown command from the cmd prompt and it says access denied.

Any suggestions? I don't mind blanking/reformatting the drive. In fact, that would be preferable. I just want access to the bloody thing!

At the moment I can't view the contents. It won't let me reformat it. It won't let me do anything with it!

Cheers,
    Quad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Quad, not sure what version of windows you are using???

I've seen problems with WD drives in XP before..

I'd try format the drive using differnt format like FAT or NTFS, not FAT32 though, there is a restriction to the size to 32GB.

It could also be a USB driver issue, but doubt it.

To be on safe side, I'd try plug it in to another pc if possible and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Use the disk manager, delete all partitions and create a new one then, make sure the drive type is basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Sorry, I meant just NTFS! :)
    kaisersoze wrote: »
    Quad, not sure what version of windows you are using???

I've seen problems with WD drives in XP before..

I'd try format the drive using differnt format like FAT or NTFS, not FAT32 though, there is a restriction to the size to 32GB.

It could also be a USB driver issue, but doubt it.

To be on safe side, I'd try plug it in to another pc if possible and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Worked!

Officers and Gents, as always.

Dunno why but it just allowed me to create a new volume through the disc manager, which I did. Instantly the drive opened up and was fully recognised by Windows.

Not sure what caused all this. Suspicious it may be on the way out...

But thanks for the help.

Advertisement