Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychics and Mediums

• 15-02-2013 5:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭

Why in this day and age of internet and television do people still believe in these con artists?

Even boards has a forum dedicated to them, imho it is an abuse of people who believe in spirituality, has nobody seen TV3's Con artists readings live last summer?

And with so much evidence to dispel them available on Youtube (Derren Brown did a great job too), are psychics and mediums just for the thick?

Despicable, especially mediums who prey on those who have lost loved ones; when I become supreme ruler of the universe they shall be outlawed; just yesterday I saw a friend post on facebook on how she visited a psychic and "OMG!!! it woz lik she nu me!!!!!!!!"; said lady is on the dole wasting the state's money on these predators; also, these psychics are they registered for PAYE or Self Assessment? Some f'kin chance

TL DR, Fed up of people being conned by cold readers, especially the elderly and vulnerable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

gets biggest bag of popcorn ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

It's a scam, and a sham, and a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Just call it a tax on stupidity, and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I'm sensing a dead member of your family is here to speak with us .. they love you and they miss you .. and they want to tell you it's ok to let.... .. please deposit 50 euro in my hand to hear the rest of the msg..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You know what they say, a fool and his money will soon find something foolish to spend it on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

Just call it a tax on stupidity, and move on.

And let evil flourish?

Lotto is a tax on stupidity, but at least it goes to the state and good causes, these scam artists keep their cash for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Why in this day and age of internet and television do women still believe in these con artists?

Corrected that for you. ;)

As for why: it's promoted in the media and usually in a positive light. Challenges to it are few and far between.

Also, thanks to relativism, some people seem unable to tell the difference between what is true and what they'd like to be true.

Mostly, though, it's because science is unpopular in schools and critical thinking is badly taught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Some people want to be fooled and some people want to believe in the absurd.

Some like to believe they have access to information you don't and some just want to be comforted.

Psychics only take advantage of those willing to be taken advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

because people want to feel comforted about their loss I would imagine

Seachmall wrote: »
    Psychics only take advantage of those willing to be taken advantage of.

They also exploit vulnerable people.

• Advertisement

RossyG wrote: »

Thats what pisses me off the most, worse than heroin dealers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Who fall into the category of those willing to be taken advantage of.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Who fall into the category of those willing to be taken advantage of.

Bit of a harsh description of, say, a mother who has lost a child and can't get over it and is grasping at straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Probably because believing in fantasy is better then their current predicament, when people are desperate for a quick fix they willl try anything to make it better, common sense is lost as they just want thing fixed as soon as they can, these psychics and mediums seem like the light at the end of the tunnel. But all they do is exploit people, I agree OP there should be tests set if you want to become a "psychic" before you get a licence to give readings, I doubt any of them would pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I don't see why it annoys some people what other people do with their money!!:)

Gee_G wrote: »

So if old people were scammed into buying something useless, that wouldn't bother you?

Gee_G wrote: »

You are free to spend your money as you wish; buy an iMac or latest iScrap with your hard earned cash, I will laugh at you but I wont be angry

The problem is the exploitation of pain, loss and suffering

So if old people were scammed into buying something useless, that wouldn't bother you?
    Of course it would bother me. But you can't change peoples beliefs and as said above, you won't stop them paying for something they are getting some comfort from.

And before anyone says it, I'm not really a believer :D

You are free to spend your money as you wish; buy an iMac or latest iScrap with your hard earned cash, I will laugh at you but I wont be angry

The problem is the exploitation of pain, loss and suffering
    Yes, it is a problem. A problem happening every minute of every day, a million and one different ways. and I know some people get carried away for example, after a loss, ringing up those fools on the TV and get charged ridiculous money for like a minute of pure bull. But you trying telling that person that its bull! People will believe what they want to believe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't care what people believe in and whatnot, their money, choice, and it gives some people comfort.

I think it's a load of shìte but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

I love the great James Randi who has been exposing these charlatans ans their shtick for years. He has offered anyone who can prove they engage in paranormal activity 1 million dollars. Not surprisingly the money remains unclaimed. Here he is talking about cold reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EBqlpJb1Xg

I loath these so called mediums and psychics. They prey on people who are vulnerable, mostly people who have lost a loved one and truly desperate to be able to commuminacte with them again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does anyone in the audience know a Mary or John , possibly a relative or friend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's a forum for these sorts of threads, and this isn't it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement