Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I lived in Canada previously - do i need a police cert for canada for iec

Options
  • 15-02-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi i lived in UK back in 08/09 - do i need a police cert for there. i persume so.
    Also I lived in Canada in 2011 on the usit visa - do i need a police cert for canada - does any one know? this is my main question
    Any help on this would be kindly appreciated :-)
    thks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

thumps wrote: »
    Hi i lived in UK back in 08/09 - do i need a police cert for there. i persume so.
    Also I lived in Canada in 2011 on the usit visa - do i need a police cert for canada - does any one know? this is my main question
    Any help on this would be kindly appreciated :-)
    thks so much

you would need one for the uk if live there for 6 months or more,
    i think you don't need one for canada, wait and see what other people say here.

heres uk police cert

http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thumps

gary27 wrote: »
    you would need one for the uk if live there for 6 months or more,
    i think you don't need one for canada, wait and see what other people say here.

heres uk police cert

http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

cheers gary. yh i m not sure on canada one either. i ve heard they have asked one or two ppl for this

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

You do not need a Canadian one, did some research on this when applying for permanent residency, they check that themselves, you don't need to submit anything.

ician wrote: »
    You do not need a Canadian one, did some research on this when applying for permanent residency, they check that themselves, you don't need to submit anything.

cheers ician for your response. a few that have sent their stuff off already are been requested for it which i myself find surprising as in yrs gone by it was never a prerequisite. it takes 18 weeks to process apparently so it would a major hassle .

i d be interested to know if any others have been asked for this

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jaff

I've been asked for it, a major pain.

I did the IEC in 2011 and now they want a Police Cert from my time there. It states in the IEC FAQs that you don't need to get one which is why I never applied for one...I would have done it months ago had I known. But they emailed me a week ago demanding one.

I think they are asking now because they have changed the system so that Immigration deal with the second stage of the application and they don't fool around (based on past experience with them)

The major problem is that it can take up to 16 weeks to process. When I got an email asking for it they said it needed to be in within a month.......Bit of a problem.

• Advertisement

jaff wrote: »

I did the IEC in 2011 and now they want a Police Cert from my time there. It states in the IEC FAQs that you don't need to get one which is why I never applied for one...I would have done it months ago had I known. But they emailed me a week ago demanding one.

I think they are asking now because they have changed the system so that Immigration deal with the second stage of the application and they don't fool around (based on past experience with them)

The major problem is that it can take up to 16 weeks to process. When I got an email asking for it they said it needed to be in within a month.......Bit of a problem.

Jaff thats ridiculous request from CIC. where did you see it takes 16 weeks? according to below link it s ten days but this is just for toronto so it prob depends on the area. Jaff are they asking for finger prints for your police cert. How do they expect you to do this if your in ireland. seems nuts

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/recordsmanagement/clearance.php

jaff wrote: »

Jaff this guy from the "movingtovancouver" facebook page is in contact with Cathy from the irish canadian immigration centre. shes speaking with ambassador tonite and gonna bring up this issue. i d recommend you to drop him a line explaining ur situation....his addy is info@moving2canada.com

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jaff

Cheers Thumps, have only just seen your message now so a bit late to email in time for this meeting (I wonder if anything came up about it) but i'll drop a line to the address you have given me there.

If nothing is clarified it looks like I'm flying to Toronto for a few days to sort it out there....

Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

thanks for the info on this lads. Please keep up to date if any new info comes to light as this is going to cause a serious mess for us second timers i think.

I'm going to apply for my police clearance but in the interim I'm going to contact CIC to inform them of the timelines involved and the fact that this wasn't a requirement according to the initial FAQs. I dont imagine it can be got from their end but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 beercan810

This is a strange request alright.

In the message I got it requests: "Police Certificate:From each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18 ..... Please submit a police certificate from Canada."
    The thing is I only spent 3 months in Canada!

• Advertisement

beercan810 wrote: »
    This is a strange request alright.

In the message I got it requests: "Police Certificate:From each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18 ..... Please submit a police certificate from Canada."
    The thing is I only spent 3 months in Canada!

that is a strange request are they cic not suppose to follow their own rules, its less than 6 months so you shoudn't need a cert.

I was 2.5 months in america i hope they don't ask me for one.

Strange one alright. You should probably just upload a letter of explanation setting out exactly your situation, you should be grand then.

Just by way of update, moving2canada people pointed me to a Facebook page, can't post links on this thing, which hopes to address police checks issue, they are awaiting response from consulate.

I suppose if you havn't mentioned the US the won't have a record so you should be ok. I can only assume that since CIC awarded us a 1 year visa that they assume (wrongfully in this case) that we have spent 12 months in Canada.

I have emailed them asking for clarification but the automated reply worryingly says that the response delay is 20 days!

I may add a letter of explanation to MyCIC explaining my situation with the dates I was in Canada for.

I suppose if you havn't mentioned the US the won't have a record so you should be ok.

I had to include my visa stamp as I was on a J1 visa, not sure what you mean by that.

gary27 wrote: »
    I had to include my visa stamp as I was on a J1 visa, not sure what you mean by that.

Ah forgot about that. Guess they know you were in the US then.

Ah forgot about that. Guess they know you were in the US then.

yes but it was only for 2 and half months so i will do the same as you if they request a cert.

Just to update..I was requested to submit police clearance from time in Canada. I responded that I didn't have it based on initial faqs, but that I had started the process by contacting rcmp. I asked cic to confirm it was necessary. I finished by declaring I was not involved in any criminal incident from my time in Canada. My query was not responded to but I have received my letter of invitation..Hope this is the case for others.

ASBO wrote: »
    Just to update..I was requested to submit police clearance from time in Canada. I responded that I didn't have it based on initial faqs, but that I had started the process by contacting rcmp. I asked cic to confirm it was necessary. I finished by declaring I was not involved in any criminal incident from my time in Canada. My query was not responded to but I have received my letter of invitation..Hope this is the case for others.

That's good news. I added a letter of explanation stating that I was in Canada for less than 6 months and listed the date I entered and exited Canada. Still waiting to hear back.

ASBO wrote: »

cheers for this asbo. sounds promising. congrats on the letter

Advertisement