Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

error occurred while internet connection sharing was being enabled

Options
  • 15-02-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭

Driving me nuts lads I just cant get around this problem

DCaFZ3o.png

Im trying to get the file sharing going between 2 computers

Basically I have a bridge connected to a router and then connected to my computers

Im using windows 7

Iv googled and googled and tried numerous stuff like
    a. Click “Start”.
    b. Type “services.msc” in the Start search box and hit “Enter”.
    c. Right-click “Windows Firewall” and click “Properties”.
    d. In the “General” tab, select “Automatic” under the “Startup type”.
    e. Click "Start" to start the service.
    f. Click “Apply” and “OK”.

May be not all the services that run Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) are enabled. I'd suggest you to strat from the begining and make sure the below dependency servies are enabled.

1. Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.

2. To enable a service, find it in the right pane and double-click its entry.

3.Be sure its Startup Type is set to Automatic and click OK.

All the following services must be thus configured in order to use ICS:

Application Layer Gateway Service
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness (NLA)
    Plug And Play
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Telephony

After verifying and/or configuring Automatic startup for each of these services, close the Services window and restart the computer before attempting again to enable ICS.

None of them seem to work

My other computer has no such trouble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Hmmm, first thing I'd try is from an elevated cmd prompt run sfc /scannow to make sure none of the system files are corrupted.

If it's still not working I'd fire up msconfig.exe (just type it in the start menu search bar). From there go to services, tick 'hide all microsoft services' then hit 'Disable all' followed by unticking 'hide all micro...'. After that go to startup and hit 'disable all'. Okay out of that and restart the computer. If it works now then something installed is preventing you from enabling it and it'll be a process of elimination to determine what it is.

If you go to event manager and take a look at the system category are there any errors listed in there related to network or internet sharing?

Hmmm, first thing I'd try is from an elevated cmd prompt run sfc /scannow to make sure none of the system files are corrupted.

If it's still not working I'd fire up msconfig.exe (just type it in the start menu search bar). From there go to services, tick 'hide all microsoft services' then hit 'Disable all' followed by unticking 'hide all micro...'. After that go to startup and hit 'disable all'. Okay out of that and restart the computer. If it works now then something installed is preventing you from enabling it and it'll be a process of elimination to determine what it is.

If you go to event manager and take a look at the system category are there any errors listed in there related to network or internet sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you have a router why are you using internet connection sharing?

All you need is for both machines to be connected to the router. Have the router assign the IP addresses.

Have both machines in the same work group.

Turn on file and printer sharing and network discovery.

Then on each machine share whatever folders you want both machines to have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Why I im not using the router is because I get this message

5QLD6Og.png

when I try to network share, just wont let me access that folder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

O.K. so what exactly is your set up.

Is your broadband supplied by DSL. Cable, Fixed Wireless or 3G?

What is the make and model of the router?

What are you bridging?

• Advertisement

eircom

ASUS RT-N66U Router

and using this as a bridge
    TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL2+ Ethernet/USB Modem Router
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-8817

I think you might be going about this in a very strange way. From what I can see your network should be:

Phone Jack -> TP Link -> Asus (WAN Port) -> Computers

Can you confirm how you have everything wired together?

Also, the TP Link is a gateway device (in this case an ADSL Modem). Bridges are now defuct and have been pretty much replaced by switches, can't remember the last time I saw an actual bridge.

You don't need internet connection sharing to be able to access a file on another computer. You just need to make sure that file sharing is properly configured on the computer you're sharing the files from. There's a couple of troubleshooting steps we can try such as can you ping the computer you want to get the files from using it's IP address and, when you can, can you then resolve the UNC path name (in this casemc001) to that ip address? Once you can do that try then to get to \\mc001 and see if anything appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Have you tried a different approach like FTP and using a file server like filezilla. Setting this up can be far simpler and it removes all these stupid errors windows gives you not to mention you can then easily share over the internet, or with pc's running linux or mac.

http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FileZilla_FTP_Server

you set that up on the computer you want to share the files.

and then connect on any pc using:

ftp://computerIP/

in your internet browser, or even windows file explorer

the ip can be gotten by typing "ipconfig" in cmd prompt.

lads thank ye for all the help and great helpful posts but im very happy to report that I got the file sharing working myself

Basically I formatted the whole computer and reinstalled windows and im delighted to report the computer is alot better than it was and of course the file sharing is working grand so far

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I formatted the whole computer and reinstalled windows
    really.... just really....

• Advertisement

mad turnip wrote: »
    really.... just really....

I had it planned all along thou. I couldnt bear how slow the computer was anymore and with the file sharing problem slightly pissing me off, reinstall of windows was needed. I just didnt expect to happen a week of getting the new computer thou, was always on the cards

Delighted I did it because the computer has improved alot

Advertisement