Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Hoarder

• 15-02-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

After Reading that the person who was keeping all those dogs in Leitrim in bad conditions was an "Animal Hoarder" i was shocked, i believe that it was just a cruel irresponsible act but low and behold in America they have the condition defined!

http://www.animalhoarding.com/

It just sickens me, i have one dog, and he is full time work, we would love to get a second one to keep him company but think it would be irresponsible as it would be harder to find people to mind them for us what type of a person keeps 100s of animals and how do the families/friends/neighbors of these people raise concerns earlier.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Animal hoarding is a well known condition worldwide, not just in the USA, there have been previous cases in Ireland. It is actually quite easy for someone to get over their heads if they set out trying to 'rescue' animals.

In regard to getting someone to mind 2 dogs, you could always put them into a boarding facility :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

These so called 'Animal Hoarders' say they love animals, that's a load of rubbish, they're not right in the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

scudzilla wrote: »
    These so called 'Animal Hoarders' say they love animals, that's a load of rubbish, they're not right in the head

Yes, you are right, they are usually suffering from mental health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

scudzilla wrote: »

cus you cant love animals if you have mental health issues :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

ISDW wrote: »
    Yes, you are right, they are usually suffering from mental health issues.

Yes, and in many cases they have usually suffered a severe loss or traumatic experience in their lives that causes them to crave animals to love and pour their affections into, at the same time craving love from them. They start out thinking they are doing good, and before they become overwhelmed, for the most part they do do good, but the more they take in the more neglectful they accidentally become.

They usually cannot afford proper food and care for the animals. It is not out of malice or anything, they just become overwhelmed and then animal groups come in and remove the animals from their care, which is best for the animals, but in truth is very traumatic for the hoarder and they really need professional care, as ISDW said they have issues.

They pour all their affections into these animals and then people take them away, it is very hard for them, and for their friends and family who have worried about them and have been trying to help them, and then see them suffering a breakdown because the animals are taken away, it must be very hard for all involved, including the animal groups, who want to help the animals, but know behind it all these people do love these animals, they just can't give them the care they need and deserve. That is why they are usually allowed keep a few (usually 2-3) animals, which they probably could realistically look after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

This RTE news report alleges that over 100 of the dogs that were rescued from the 'hoarder' were being used for "ongoing breeding and commercial gain".

It's all well and good for them to try and claim that they were an 'animal hoarder' but the majority of dogs and puppies recovered were the typical puppy farm breeds such as king charles spaniels and bichons. An actual animal hoarder would be taking in any dog they can - big and small, mutts & purebreeds etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYorl-8RQvI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

PucaMama wrote: »

Read my post again, I never said that people with issues can't love animals.

I said that these animal hoarders are not right in the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

This RTE news report alleges that over 100 of the dogs that were rescued from the 'hoarder' were being used for "ongoing breeding and commercial gain".

It's all well and good for them to try and claim that they were an 'animal hoarder' but the majority of dogs and puppies recovered were the typical puppy farm breeds such as king charles spaniels and bichons. An actual animal hoarder would be taking in any dog they can - big and small, mutts & purebreeds etc.

Very true, a hoarder has the issue of never giving them away, not purposely breeding them for profit. True hoarders are overrun with puppies, they cannot sell/give them away, they are incapable of it.

I smell a puppy-farm! Poor little things, an over bred bítch is usually destroyed by the age of 5, her body is ruined :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There's an animal hoarders show on nat geo or biography - it's just shocking the state that the animals are in and the owners don't see anything wrong. A desperate situation for the animals and the hoader and when they get the help they need to finally see the situation for what it is they're usually devastated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Not if your mental health issue is animal hoarding. I think you got the poster wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭emo72

i dont think the poster meant that. i dont even remotely get how you drew that inference at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I've been watching the various Animal Cops series on Animal Planet for a number of years and there are often cases of animal hoarders. It's usually very sad and quite difficult viewing.
    Most of them have an inability to rationalize at what point they can no longer act in the interest of the animals they are trying to help. In a lot of cases they are elderly, some are couples, and they are incapable of looking after themselves properly, let alone the animals. It seems to be more common with cats as they breed faster and the hoarders become over run quicker. It is not uncommon for them to call the animal rescue services themselves for help.
    One thing is always clear - that these situations never arise out of any type of malevolence. They are basically kind people and it is heart breaking to watch them losing the animals they believe they have been caring for.
    I do not believe that the people in Longford are hoarders as has now become clear. I think they were using it as an excuse to try and get away with puppy farming.
    Fortunately the ISPCA weren't born yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

animal hoarders do love the animals they just cant help (due to mental health issues) getting more and more until they are overwhelmed. both the animals and the human suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

Thanks for the insight everyone, I only heard the term today, I don't understand it so am kind of discusted by it.

What's worst is if there a pupoy farm claiming to be animal hoarding... Mental health is an affliction on the unlucky me included I hate seen people try use it as an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Big difference between puppy farmers and animal hoarders.

As already described very eloquently on this thread, animal hoarders do love animals. They love them very much. However they have accompanying mental health issues that mean they take on too many animals and then cannot do right by them. They believe themselves that, by the sheer intensity of their love for their animals, they're the best people to look after them. In reality they cannot keep up with the feeding, cleaning and health care and the animals begin to suffer.

A sad and strange sidebar is that animals generally aren't as choosy about the conditions they're kept in as we humans are. First and foremost, companion animals crave our affection and attention - and that's one thing animal hoarders give their animals in abundance. Often they'll have so many animals they physically cannot give them all the affection and attention they need, but in many cases there'll be a core group of animals who are central favourites, and those animals will absolutely adore their hoarder owner. It's extremely sad to see animal hoarders being separated from this core group because often the animals will be terribly upset at being parted from their hoarder owner.

That in turn feeds into the impetus for the hoarder's illness - that their love is absolute and nobody can love these animals more than they do, and look, the distress the animals are under while being taken away is proof.

Wolfpawnat summed it up perfectly - and yes, hoarders are often permitted to choose one or two animals they can keep and care for appropriately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

sorry to say but the particular breeds removed from this facility smells of puppy farming its very easy to claim being a hoarder when your caught out

can anyone on here post a link where any of these puppy farm owners have been brought to court we all hear about the confiscation of all the poor animals and little puppies

these people are not detected weeks/months after setting up they are making serious money for years before detection

also are the pups coming out of these facilities reg with the ikc if yes would it not alert somebody to wonder why so many litters are being registered or are they just registering so many litters or none at all

animal hoarders do love the animals they just cant help (due to mental health issues) getting more and more until they are overwhelmed. both the animals and the human suffer.

They think they love animals but its more of an obsession or a transfer of emotions. Animal lovers dont let their pets suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

**Vai** wrote: »
    They think they love animals but its more of an obsession or a transfer of emotions. Animal lovers dont let their pets suffer.

Ah it is love alright.

It would be nice to think that animal lovers don't let their pets suffer or anybody who loves anything, would make/let it suffer.
    It would be a very comforting thought - I love x, so therefore I cannot make x suffer.

Reality is different though. And now to be really condescending (sorry) - if you don't know what I mean, be thankful for that.
    People can get really twisted - start off with the best of intentions, and then end up elsewhere.

Strangely enough, I got what you mean. Dunno why you think I wouldnt? Maybe my view is too simplistic for you.

I still disagree with you and the other poster. Its not love, not in its truest (and only) sense. Its selfish and wrong. Dunno about you but I dont let my pets suffer.

Advertisement