Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing an IP address with a troublemaker

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Spear wrote: »
    Pops up in the general sense of coming to admin/mod attention, not in the sense of a brand new account appearing.

Therin lies the problem Spear, they came to the attention of the admins/mods due to the IP. Now a quick check should have established that it was 2 different people, even a quick little PM to verify that rather than just banning the poster would have been in order surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have lived with all sorts of people throughout the years. Some were great to live with some were assholes. In the last shared house I was in there was a girl who refused to leave her room or talk to any of the other residents. You are saying it is my resposibility as a boards user to keep her in line if she wants to be a troll on this site??

Seriously?

It would obviously be her responsibility if she trolls the site. But by doing so, she also takes on the responsibility of how that may affect her housemates account- what you choose to do about that is entirely up to you, but if I was affected, the quickest way of resolution would be to sort it out with my housemate. With 1000s of users, how do you expect an admin to deal sensitively with every shared ip troll issue?

It would obviously be her responsibility if she trolls the site. But by doing so, she also takes on the responsibility of how that may affect her housemates account- what you choose to do about that is entirely up to you, but if I was affected, the quickest way of resolution would be to sort it out with my housemate. With 1000s of users, how do you expect an admin to deal sensitively with every shared ip troll issue?

Well tbh I wouldn't expect the Admins to wade into the case between the flatmates at all. Simply treat each individual user as an individual would be the best way to do it I would have thought?

P_1 wrote: »
    Well tbh I wouldn't expect the Admins to wade into the case between the flatmates at all. Simply treat each individual user as an individual would be the best way to do it I would have thought?

Admins and mods are unpaid volunteers. They get it right most of the time. They sometimes get it wrong and have admitted this. I really don't see what the big issue is making this thread. Re- regs trolls and spammers take up a lot of time- you can't legislate for every issue. IMO,You're highlighting something that happens rarely and you're making a big deal out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would obviously be her responsibility if she trolls the site.
    Agreed
    But by doing so, she also takes on the responsibility of how that may affect her housemates account-

So why does it become my responsibility again?
    what you choose to do about that is entirely up to you,

I would choose to argue my case to the person who banned me and would most likely be a bit p***ed off about it.
    but if I was affected, the quickest way of resolution would be to sort it out with my housemate.
    Disagree with you. I am not responsible for the actions or inactions of anyone other than myself.

With 1000s of users, how do you expect an admin to deal sensitively with every shared ip troll issue?
    It is as easy to be polite as rude.

Wow, you were being serious

• Advertisement

Admins and mods are unpaid volunteers. They get it right most of the time. They sometimes get it wrong and have admitted this. I really don't see what the big issue is making this thread. Re- regs trolls and spammers take up a lot of time- you can't legislate for every issue. IMO,You're highlighting something that happens rarely and you're making a big deal out of it.

Tbh isn't the whole point of this Feedback forum to highlight issues that arise with the site? We have had two cases of this happening to users within a short timeframe, I would class that as an issue with the site, would you not?

Yes indeed, I was.

Agreed

So why does it become my responsibility again?

I would choose to argue my case to the person who banned me and would most likely be a bit p***ed off about it.

Disagree with you. I am not responsible for the actions or inactions of anyone other than myself.

It is as easy to be polite as rude.

I think you'll also find that nowhere did I say it was your responsibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

see
    It may also have been a way of creating a situation where one housemate gives the other a good bollicking about their behaviour on the site with a view to getting them to cop-on a little- I don't think the Admins should have to deal with good poster/ bad poster sharing the same IP- let them talk it out themselves for a while and see what agreement they can reach.
    But by doing so, she also takes on the responsibility of how that may affect her housemates account- what you choose to do about that is entirely up to you, but if I was affected, the quickest way of resolution would be to sort it out with my housemate.

Both would require actions from me thereby making it my responsibility

Did you not just do so there? :confused:

• Advertisement

Did you not just do so there? :confused:

No, I didn't. I said it was her responsibility- the other non troll poster still has choice. But if it were me I wouldn't be waiting for an Admin to sort it. I'd be telling the troll poster to cop on and state back to boards that I have nothing to do with them and that I am a separate poster.

No, I didn't. I said it was her responsibility- the other non troll poster still has choice. But if it were me I wouldn't be waiting for an Admin to sort it. I'd be telling the troll poster to cop on and state back to boards that I have nothing to do with them and that I am a separate poster.

Yes but the only notification that you'd get that your flatmate was acting the maggot would be when you get banned. How are you meant to prevent something that you don't know is happening? Telekinesis or something? :confused:

see

Both would require actions from me thereby making it my responsibility

You could of course do nothing. And let an Admin do all the hard work. :;

You could of course do nothing. And let an Admin do all the hard work. :;

But the Admin and the user causing hassle have caused the problem, you have done nothing to cause the problem, save for living in the same house as the user causing hassle.

Why should you have to solve a problem that wasn't caused by you in the first place?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Therin lies the problem Spear, they came to the attention of the admins/mods due to the IP. Now a quick check should have established that it was 2 different people, even a quick little PM to verify that rather than just banning the poster would have been in order surely?

Users aren't banned if they pass a quick check. And there's nothing to stop someone lying in a PM either.

However a lot of this is speculative, since none of us know the full info available to the admins when they do ban someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Another part of that thread that made me laugh was Buffy Bot breaking out the old "I have better things to be doing on my weekend."

Buffy said they had better things to do on a weekend than discuss it with someone if buffy had already made their mind up. Not "I don't want to deal with this I have better things to do".
    I appreciate the admins are flat out banning all sorts, investigating duplicate accounts, etc, and that they do get lied to in that forum a lot. I also appreciate glen got very frustrated in his responses.
    I still think the attitude in that thread was a small bit much - it IS up to each person individually, not to control any housemates' behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I can understand assuming the user in the prison thread was a dupe account of the banned user, but once it was established that they weren't, an apology and explanation should have been forthcoming, the user unbanned and the thread closed. The whole "don't you think you should have a word with your flatmate" angle was, to put it as diplomatically as possible, extremely ill-advised, tbh.

Spear wrote: »
    Users aren't banned if they pass a quick check. And there's nothing to stop someone lying in a PM either.

However a lot of this is speculative, since none of us know the full info available to the admins when they do ban someone.

I agree 100% there, we don't have a clue what goes on behind the scenes, nor should we expect to.

The public view was a bit unsettling to say the least though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anyone can make a mistake though. Its the ignorant stance taken in the likes of glenjamins case that's more troubling. Even when his good name is cleared and he's let back in there's no hint of an apology but rather an attitude that he's lucky to be allowed back at all despite doing absolutely nothing wrong. Unreal. You seem to be ignoring this point which seems to be the stock response to any point a mod/admin is afraid to or can't give a good answer to.

Fair enough.
    Another part of that thread that made me laugh was Buffy Bot breaking out the old "I have better things to be doing on my weekend." Well if you weren't banning innocent users and then talking to them like they're a piece of sh*t for daring to be annoyed about it then you'd have more free time. Not to mention the fact that whining about doing a job you are doing of your on free will is a bit lol.

It does actually take a fair bit of time to go through suspected re-regs. I remember taking a couple of hours out of a weekend morning to go through a re-reg soapboxer that users had flagged, 2 other significant accounts showed up that I don't think anybody had flagged. Yes we volunteer, a little appreciation wouldn't go amiss from some. Normal mod actions don't take that much time usually.
    SB2013 wrote: »
    To be honest I'd prefer if you erred on the side of caution when issuing bans. It appears as though there is an approach along the lines of "This person appears to be a rereg/troll/sock puppet so we'd better ban him just in case he causes trouble. I'd rather see a bad person allowed stay on boards because of lack of proof than a good poster banned based on circumstantial proof.

That isn't the case. In the above example I didn't ban what seemed in all likelihood another re-reg account recently, because it could be a genuine new account. You are usually looking for a a few key signs, when that happened you are looking at beyond reasonable doubt.
    As to the thread that's been posted. It seems quite obvious that the admin in question knew the poster was genuine yet for some reason decided they still needed to push the point of making the other person responsable and didn't lift the ban until the other poster agreed not to rereg. Where is the logic in that? How is that fair on the innocent person who got banned because of a housemates poor behaviour?

It might appear that way but I really doubt it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Never mind, answered above. Although don't see the point of a prison forum.

Hopefully Buffy sent a PM to Glen to apologize or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

RasTa wrote: »
    Never mind, answered above. Although don't see the point of a prison forum.

Hopefully Buffy sent a PM to Glen to apologize or something.

Transparency. A lot of people that are accidentally banned or caught up in the firing squad have their bans removed and those who made mistakes are often given second chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Is an admin going to respond to this? It seems that there is a reluctance to admit mistakes on boards. I think people would very much respect BuffyBot if they held up their hands and apologised and admitted that they went about things the wrong way but it doesn't look good when this thread is being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've responded already, please check back. As for the comments regarding a specific poster, they have access again so can PM the admin that banned them if they like. Otherwise, I'll ensure your feedback is taken on board, cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement