Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pikeman Cometh

Options
  • 15-02-2013 7:07pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

The Rosslare Pikeman, that is. This is the second year of the race, hopefully it will be as much craic as the first one. Standard (oly) distance, with a sea swim, two lap bike on good roads, and a two lap run on a quiet rural route.

http://wextriclub.com/

The race is now open for entries via www.triathlonireland.com

We hope the weather will be kinder than last year, so we wont have that water feature on the run...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I was only looking into the opening date of this earlier this morning! Just entered there now. Great day out last year and yeah while there was a water feature, i found conditions excellent! A storm basically washed over the area the night before but it was blue skies and sunshine if memory serves me right for the race.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There have been some changes made to the Pikeman route for this year, this has been under discussion for a while and only just been confirmed.

Both the bike and the run are changing, the bike is still on the main Rosslare - Wexford road, but in the opposite direction. This makes the route quiter and safer, with fewer roundabouts to negotiate.

The run takes in some of the old route, but is now an out and back. I ran it last night, the roads are extremely quiet, and its more scenic than last years run. Though unfortunately, the water feature will definitely be missed out. :) No hills on the run to speak of, just a few small bridges giving the only inclines on the route, and they are blink and you miss them.

The changes mean that cyclists and runners are now completely separated, which should make for a better race. Any queries about this, you can contact the club at the link above or give me a shout.

Ah no water feature!! I loved that! Sounds good. Looking forward to it. Who else from here is doing it? I dont think i'll be repeating my result this time around, seems numbers will be well up!!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Ah no water feature!! I loved that! Sounds good. Looking forward to it. Who else from here is doing it? I dont think i'll be repeating my result this time around, seems numbers will be well up!!
    Numbers will be up on last year alright, and we're hoping the wind will be in our favour this time, so we get a calm sea. I know Kurt Godel is doing it, but not sure about anyone else.

If you're dead set on a water feature, I can arrange a hose at the run turnaround. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Looking forward to this Oryx! I've been promised the sea will be open for business, looks like a nice route:)

What was the "water feature"?

• Advertisement

We had torrential rain the night before last years race, and a section of the run route was flooded. We had to send the safety marshal through it in his bare feet that morning to make sure it wasn't deep. :)

How the sea behaves depends on the wind direction. Last year it was very rough, but a truncated swim went ahead. Now, when I say rough, I mean rough. I think Bambaata would agree it had some decent waves, not the flat calm you've seen cancelled. But 90% of the time it gets the prevailing wind, and a flat calm sea.

Oryx wrote: »
    We had torrential rain the night before last years race, and a section of the run route was flooded. We had to send the safety marshal through it in his bare feet that morning to make sure it wasn't deep. :)

How the sea behaves depends on the wind direction. Last year it was very rough, but a truncated swim went ahead. Now, when I say rough, I mean rough. I think Bambaata would agree it had some decent waves, not the flat calm you've seen cancelled. But 90% of the time it gets the prevailing wind, and a flat calm sea.

Haha, if you can guarantee running through flooded roads, and huge crashing waves, I'll pay to enter twice!;)

To be honest i actually found the sea ok but i know its a decision made based on the weakest and i had no issue with a shortened swim seeing as its my weakest discipline! The water on the run route was nice. Overnight there had been a big storm (torrential rain on the drive down wasn't nice for driving through) but it cleared by the morning to blue skies! The wind was still up though. There was a small section of the run that had just over ankle deep water but there were no potholes etc so you could safely skip through it in a few short strides.

I can remember looking at the rainfall radar that morning and Rosslare was pretty much the only spot in Ireland that wasn't getting any rain, nevermind rain there wasn't a cloud! I got sunburnt! Great event with a lovely spread of food and good atmosphere.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Haha, if you can guarantee running through flooded roads, and huge crashing waves, I'll pay to enter twice!;)
    I swam from that beach last night, and the waves were crashing. Think bouncy castle and roller coaster combined.

Afaik Kelly's hotel will be doing food again this year. Tea and cake as well, naturally!

I swam from that beach last night, and the waves were crashing. Think bouncy castle and roller coaster combined.

We need more of your sort in the TO gene pool. Please clone yourself and breed more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

Last year's race was my first ever triathlon, so it really made me smile when I was standing on the beach and there was the RNLI life boat off shore, not the dingle now the unsinkable type, it was probably too rough for the dingles, :pac:. I couldn't help but think they where preparing for a mass drowning event. :P

I going to give it a go again this year as I made loads of rockie mistakes last year, Like trying to run trought transition with my cleats on. :o

From my complete ill imformed opion I would think its a fast course, sea is typical calm in rosslare, the cycle is on a good surface with only 2-3 roundabouts and no mixing with traffic, the run course I would call flat but not quite pancake, It does have good stretches of sheltered roads which I feel always makes for a faster run.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

Athlone olympic getting cancelled could be the making of the this race for years to come. Really enjoyed it last year. Highly recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I know a few Trilogy heads are in for it ! Alas i'm working in Killarney the night before so not much hope of my making it !

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Cycled the new route on this. Similar type of road to last year with good hard shoulders, but out to the Ferry terminal instead. The roads are quieter, but just be aware of the smooth paving on the ferry end turnaround roundabout - they will be very slippy if wet.

This last year was also my first Tri and I made several schoolboy errors. Hopefully will be better ready this year.

The wind last year was "unlucky" in its direction making the sea rough - normally much calmer.

RACE WEEK!

Looking forward to Saturday. Weather looks like it will be perfect with "Sunshine and patchy clouds" and around 19C.

So who is in for this?

RACE WEEK!

Looking forward to Saturday. Weather looks like it will be perfect with "Sunshine and patchy clouds" and around 19C.

So who is in for this?

Looking forward to this meself. Wont be chasin you though!!!.

The course recce is done. Did the full course last Saturday. Weather is looking good for it. Wex Tri Club seem to have it well organised and cover seems to be good for marshalls etc.

Its all coming together nicely so if we can just get the weather to play fair it should be a great day.

Final advisory email to go out this week but any queries let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Its all coming together nicely so if we can just get the weather to play fair it should be a great day.

Final advisory email to go out this week but any queries let me know.

I know there are a few Trilogy heads racing ! I hope it goes well !

Oryx, will a start list be sent out in advance?

Oryx, will a start list be sent out in advance?

There were no plans to, no. It just hadn't come up as something entrants might want. Sorry.

• Advertisement

Podge83 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this meself. Wont be chasin you though!!!.

The course recce is done. Did the full course last Saturday. Weather is looking good for it. Wex Tri Club seem to have it well organised and cover seems to be good for marshalls etc.

What did you make of the speed bumps down by the port, hard on the brakes or go for the bunnyhop? The bunnyhop is clearly the fastest but could lead to an epic face plant. :o

hypersonic wrote: »
    What did you make of the speed bumps down by the port, hard on the brakes or go for the bunnyhop? The bunnyhop is clearly the fastest but could lead to an epic face plant. :o

I suppose when people say look over a course this one of the reasons why. The first hump the top of the descent to the Port roundabout is more like a kerb towards the middle. My method was better described as a combination of the two - slight brake and hop up the front wheel. Keep over to the side and its not too bad. The bottom hump and on the way back up they're not too bad. The weather looks like its going to be good so the cobbles on the roundabout shouldn't be a problem. Overall though its a nice course, if a bit of a "windcatcher".

On the roundabout at the ferryport there is a dip as you come around, about 2 o clock position j believe. Ive been told it could catch you out so be aware.

any coffee shops open early enough in rosslare strand for a pre-race breaky? a bun and a cuppa would do.

hypersonic wrote: »
    any coffee shops open early enough in rosslare strand for a pre-race breaky? a bun and a cuppa would do.

There is a shop next to transition. Id expect it to be open from 8 at least but I'll check the exact time. Theres a deli, coffee machine etc there.

That shop is definitely open from 8 on Saturday.

I also swam at that beach this evening. Water temperature has dropped slightly from last week, but its still grand. Thankfully it isn't suffering from the algal bloom that is plaguing other beaches. It was very calm tonight and hopefully you'll get the same conditions on Saturday. If so it should make for a nice fast swim.

Not long now and the weather looks like it will be near perfect! Hopefully get a chance to meet some of ye there?

If its like today it's going to be a scorcher.

Not long now and the weather looks like it will be near perfect! Hopefully get a chance to meet some of ye there?

I'll be wearing a red Tinahely Tri suit, love to put faces to some names:)

Quick question for anyone: I don't usually take fluids when I solo bike <80k, I presume leaving a bottle in trans rather than on the bike would be ok for an Oly distance?

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I'll be wearing a red Tinahely Tri suit, love to put faces to some names:)

Quick question for anyone: I don't usually take fluids when I solo bike <80k, I presume leaving a bottle in trans rather than on the bike would be ok for an Oly distance?

I'd throw it onto the bike as its going to be a hot day. As with everything though, its whatever you're used to and most comfortable with.

All the best to all tomorrow.

Advertisement