Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pikeman Cometh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I'll be wearing a red Tinahely Tri suit, love to put faces to some names:)

Quick question for anyone: I don't usually take fluids when I solo bike <80k, I presume leaving a bottle in trans rather than on the bike would be ok for an Oly distance?

It's going to be hot, you will be racing, you'll have been in the sea for twenty something minutes so will probable be thirsty, and you have to stay fuelled up for the run if you are doing it - you'll need a drink on the bike and a gel or two or else an energy drink (all my opinion based only on experience only and no hard science whatsoever :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Cheers lads, I'll bring drink/gels with me to stay on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Yup drink on bike, not so necessary on the run. Im planning on about 400-500mls High5 2:1 and a gel at 10mins into bike and at 50mins and 1 on run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'll be in a two piece red Skins suit

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'll be in shorts and a hiviz vest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck tomorrow folks. Enjoy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

just back from reg, condition are perfect, tomorrow is going to be magic, lots and lots of PBs to be had. :)
    best of luck to everybody tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Nice goody bag it must be said, great looking buff included. Water looked perfectly calm. Hope its the same tomorrow. Roads are in good condition too. Might have to pull out at some stage due to an achillis problem but its so tempting to push through it!

adamski8 wrote: »
    Nice goody bag it must be said, great looking buff included. Water looked perfectly calm. Hope its the same tomorrow. Roads are in good condition too. Might have to pull out at some stage due to an achillis problem but its so tempting to push through it!

Think I spoke to you about the course at registration. Hopefully the small hills will be gentle with you.

Well, what a brilliant course! This was a pleasure to participate in, every aspect of the race was very well handled by Wexford Tri. They had marshalls seemingly at every junction, easy and fast registration, clear instructions, nice goodybag (love the buff!), a brilliant swim, fantastic surface on the route for the bike (every bit of power transferred into forward momentum), and a testing run with absolutely huge, massive, mountainous climbs up and over the railway lines. Great support on the route and at the finish, a nice bit of grub, and Oryx's radiant smile everywhere- all on one of the best weather days of the year. Loved loved loved this race, well done to all involved in running it :)

• Advertisement

No complaints here, everything was great. Maybe the best one ive done! Ill do it again next year for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

thanks to the organizers for a great race
    I'll see you all again next year. :)

Everything Kurt said. Excellent organisation from start to finish. Quick registration, large transition, great course, loads of marshals - even the weather played along. Definitely will do this race again.

Thanks guys for all the good feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed the day, the weather playing ball was a big part of us having such a great time, but we did have a very dedicated crew who worked hard to keep everything smooth.

I met every single one of you, whether you knew it or not, both at registration and at the finish line where I was taking manual times. It was brilliant to see such a strong group of athletes come out to play. But special mention must go to:

Bambaata, for the most awesome rolling dismount I have ever seen, and of course his second victory in the (always) sunny south east. It was lovely to meet you, and congratulations on a well deserved win.

Kurt Godel, for staying clothed throughout the event, and for finally completing a full length swim in a race. See, I did promise. ;)

To the unknown gentleman who puked on our feet as he finished, that's what we call pushing to your limits!

Thanks for competing, I sure hope we get to do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Oryx wrote: »

Is there a genuine chance that this wont happen next year. It would be a serious shame if it didn't happen. I appreciate the problems with putting it on with the size of Wex Tri Club, but surely something so successful cant be left die. I genuinely believe that this can grow and become a big race.

The race day was really well organised - and the atmosphere was relaxed putting me for one at my ease - everyone was really approachable.

Podge83 wrote: »
    Is there a genuine chance that this wont happen next year. It would be a serious shame if it didn't happen. I appreciate the problems with putting it on with the size of Wex Tri Club, but surely something so successful cant be left die. I genuinely believe that this can grow and become a big race.
    We certainly hope so, we'll just give the RD a few days to recover before mentioning next year. :P

Thanks guys for all the good feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed the day, the weather playing ball was a big part of us having such a great time, but we did have a very dedicated crew who worked hard to keep everything smooth.

I met every single one of you, whether you knew it or not, both at registration and at the finish line where I was taking manual times. It was brilliant to see such a strong group of athletes come out to play. But special mention must go to:

Bambaata, for the most awesome rolling dismount I have ever seen, and of course his second victory in the (always) sunny south east. It was lovely to meet you, and congratulations on a well deserved win.

Kurt Godel, for staying clothed throughout the event, and for finally completing a full length swim in a race. See, I did promise. ;)

To the unknown gentleman who puked on our feet as he finished, that's what we call pushing to your limits!

We did chat briefly but I never got a chance to introduce myself properly so apologies for that (you were always either busy doing something or ordering people about :))

By the way, what is a 'buff' which I believe is what we got in our goody bags? I can attest that they are great for wiping congealed snot and sand from a two year olds face but I doubt that's their intended use :)

Great swim, thanks for keeping your side of the bargain! I did flash you a quick moob on the finish line;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    We did chat briefly but I never got a chance to introduce myself properly so apologies for that (you were always either busy doing something or ordering people about :))
    No worries, there's always another time! But ordering people around? Moi? Never!
    By the way, what is a 'buff' which I believe is what we got in our goody bags? I can attest that they are great for wiping congealed snot and sand from a two year olds face but I doubt that's their intended use :)
    Buff, as well as being a description of all you guys, is a tube that can be worn around the neck or face as a windstopper, as a headband to catch sweat, as a layer under your helmet, or as the aforementioned snot rag. Enjoy figuring it out. :)

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Great swim, thanks for keeping your side of the bargain! I did flash you a quick moob on the finish line;)
    I did notice, I just thought you were checking to make sure your heart was still beating.

Just one other mention - for the timing service - Fast accurate results, unlike a few others this year. Well done to sportstiming.ie - Awesome service IMO

Just one other mention - for the timing service - Fast accurate results, unlike a few others this year. Well done to sportstiming.ie - Awesome service IMO

And 5km run splits, very nice.

I notice the "Irish Triathlon" website are posting yesterday's swim at 1300m:

http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2013/07/rosslare-pikeman-triathlon-wexford-tri-club/

Was 1t 1500 or 1300? My bubble is burst!!!

I notice the "Irish Triathlon" website are posting yesterday's swim at 1300m:

http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2013/07/rosslare-pikeman-triathlon-wexford-tri-club/

Was 1t 1500 or 1300? My bubble is burst!!!

It was definitely short, you could tell from looking at the course and my time suggests 1,300m or so is about right. Most sea swims are not exact so I wouldn't be worrying about it:)

It was definitely short, you could tell from looking at the course and my time suggests 1,300m or so is about right. Most sea swims are not exact so I wouldn't be worrying about it:)

I thought it was a small bit short and I heard a few fellas talking about it afterwards and comparing their GPS's which were measuring 1470-80. This would suggest that the course was maybe 1450 or so, but 1300!!

In reflection, the "long leg" didn't seem as long as it was meant to be!!! Anyway, I suppose that it was the same for all!!

1400 was what I heard officially.

Edit: to confirm, at least four of the lead swimmers mesured 1400 -1450 on garmin. We think the descrepancy can be partly blamed in the walk out over the sand bank.

1400 was what I heard officially.

If that's the case I'd be very happy with my swim time :)

In my roundup of special achievements yesterday I forgot about the guy who did the whole second bike lap with no saddle. (His broke and couldn't be fixed). That's dedication. I'd have given up and gone home!

• Advertisement

If that's the case I'd be very happy with my swim time :)

and if your crap at siting like me im sure a lot of people did 1500

Advertisement