Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In preparation for Aldi coming to Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

still can't see their reasoning for opening another store so close to the one in Bray, when there's already a Lidl and a Tesco in the town (though I suppose you could say the same about Lidl opening in Bray). I guess they know what they're doing, efficient Germans and all that jazz...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I actually think they picked that location wisely as the store is easily accessible by a large local population. Also it is within walking distance of a lot of people who will use it. Aldi and Lidl don't expect to be an instant hit but over time they garner a large slice of the market where ever they locate.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Did they not withdraw the planning application?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I think they only withdrew the application to do with the mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Any idea on timelines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

probably open tomorrow at some stage. They throw those things up quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

A welcome addition to shopping facilities in the area. I cannot resist their special offers, lots of tools and gizmos I will probably never use but who can resist a bargain. :)

Glad to see the old Mill surviving side by side with the development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

dr ro wrote: »
    probably open tomorrow at some stage. They throw those things up quick!

Exactly. Their buildings are pretty much a copy and paste job.

I don't see the point in another supermarket in Greystones at the moment but I'm sure it was planned meticulously.

Anticipation of another population boom in the Greystones area perhaps?

Dunphus wrote: »
    Exactly. Their buildings are pretty much a copy and paste job.

I don't see the point in another supermarket in Greystones at the moment but I'm sure it was planned meticulously.

Anticipation of another population boom in the Greystones area perhaps?

It's a bit further away from the others though so I think it will do quite well

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Lidl and Aldi seem to just follow each other. As soon as one sets up the other is never far behind. Makes sense as they are in direct competition. I doubt they'd be locating here if the market didn't exist and I'm sure they've taken more then Greystones into account. There nothing of its kind between here and Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

"There (sp) nothing of its kind between here and Wicklow."
    But there is nothing between here and Wicklow!

FirstIn wrote: »
    But there is nothing between here and Wicklow!

Well the people of Kilpeddar, Kilcoole, Newcastle, Newtown, Ashford and Rathnew might beg to differ not to mention the numerous ribbon developments between them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Cerco wrote: »
    A welcome addition to shopping facilities in the area. I cannot resist their special offers, lots of tools and gizmos I will probably never use but who can resist a bargain. :)

Glad to see the old Mill surviving side by side with the development.

Absolutely. And even more so its on the Kilcoole side of Greystones, a bit less far for me to go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They already had this PP in the bag, but they were going for an extended version that would have seen the mill demolished and replaced with extra development. The main reason they gave was that it would be unsafe to proceed with this development because men operating machinery near the mill would cause it to collapse, and so the extended version was for "health and safety" reasons.
    PP applications get withdrawn when the applicant concedes that the application has fallen from favour, so its a better option than waiting for a refusal.
    It's all forgotten now though, and in the picture you can see someone merrily driving a digger right under the walls of the old mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sunbeam61

I certainly welcome Aldi to Greystones, it will save me driving to Bray for those very tempting offers that I can't resist :-) It will reduce my carbon footprint too so all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

loyatemu wrote: »
    still can't see their reasoning for opening another store so close to the one in Bray, when there's already a Lidl and a Tesco in the town (though I suppose you could say the same about Lidl opening in Bray). I guess they know what they're doing, efficient Germans and all that jazz...

I know it's Aldi, but there are two Aldis in Wexford town aprx 3 miles apart, and as you say efficient Germans............

vicwatson wrote: »
    I know it's Aldi, but there are two Aldis in Wexford town aprx 3 miles apart, and as you say efficient Germans............

And there are 2 Lidl's within a short distance in Deansgrange and Mackintosh Park!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

They withdrew an amendment to their original application and permission. The original is for a conversion of the mill so that modern internal units would be created, the *amendment* was instead to demolish the mill.

What's not clear is whether they will now convert the mill as originally applied for and approved. If they don't, then we need to ensure that the building is actively protected and maintained, not left to rot by neglect like the La Touche.

It's a bit further away from the others though so I think it will do quite well

Further away? if you live in Charlesland, it's nearer.

If they don't, then we need to ensure that the building is actively protected and maintained, not left to rot by neglect like the La Touche.

But that's exactly what has been done to it for decades. Strikes me as a touch of "dog in a manger" syndrome with the mill. We've been happy to neglect it and leave it rot but as soon as someone else wants it we cry foul and want it saved.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    But that's exactly what has been done to it for decades. Strikes me as a touch of "dog in a manger" syndrome with the mill. We've been happy to neglect it and leave it rot but as soon as someone else wants it we cry foul and want it saved.

Some truth in what you say, Swanner, but I do have to say 'speak for yourself'. What's this 'we', paleface?

The Old Mill was hardly even visible until recently. After 15 years as a resident, I wasn't clear on where it was, FFS, and I take an interest in these matters and have been involved directly since the early Noughties!

Anyhow, it's not dog in a manger. I think there's a growing realisation that if we leave planning and environment matters, and our heritage — hate that term — to county officials and politicians, then we will lose a great deal as their default setting is neglect.

The harbour disaster has opened a lot of eyes to this, so what I am really saying is that henceforth, if we want to keep these historic buildings and also ensure sensitive and reasonably aesthetic change in our area, we must abandon passive trust in officialdom and be very active on these matters — not behave as you describe, and as was the case to some extent in the past.

Would you be with me in putting that into practice? Just imagine, Swanner and The Durutti Column founding a civic association together!! Wow!!

You also forget the huge SAVE OUR HARBOUR campaign 2004 to 2007, which showed 'we' did not sit idly by. This campaign led to over 6,200 objections to the Sispar/WCC harbour plan — that was over half the adult population of the town. The fact that the community's will was ignored and the planners and developer rode roughshod over 'us', with exactly the result the campaigners predicted, may have something causal to do with a certain tendency to inaction in this sphere for a while. Can you imagine how discouraging it was to encounter the dictatorship of the developer?

But that changed with GUBOH, and it is now a thing of the past, I hope.

By "we" I mean the collective population of Greystones and I include both is us in that "we".

I'm all for saving historic landmarks whether they be of local or national importance however I don't think we should save everything at any cost. It would be great to see a more selective approach with a concentration of any funds directed towards projects that can yield results in the form of increased awareness, tourism, revenue generation etc.

If we want to save the mill we need to do something with it. Sticking a fence around it and hoping it'll look just as historic in 50 years isn't really effective conservation. St Crispin's Cell is another example of this. I know that's not what you're advocating btw.

While my time is limited, I would be more then happy to get involved in anything that protects and preserves local history so you never know what the future may hold for us TDC :)

The harbour was a very different scenario in that it was a functioning amenity in a state of disrepair. While I genuinely admire the work of GUBOH in their efforts to repair the damage done by the greed of the councillors and developers, I was not entirely opposed to the development in the first place. I was absolutely opposed to the scale of it. But that's water under the bridge now and for a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bray is packed most times I'm there. Next one south is Arklow as well. Aldi are pretty sparce South Dublin downwards, where Lidl have stolen a march (none between Sandyford and Bray and then none between Bray and Arklow). Much prefer Aldi - delighted with one in Bray, even happier with one that bit nearer.

On the wider issue of protected structures - no point sticking the protection on them, with no clause about maintaining that structure. The mill and the La Touche shouldn't have been allowed get into such a state that a developer can claim health and safety to demolish them - the council should've been on the owners back with enforcement orders over the state of them (instead of facilitating their destruction later down the road).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The mill and the La Touche shouldn't have been allowed get into such a state that a developer can claim health and safety to demolish them - the council should've been on the owners back with enforcement orders over the state of them (instead of facilitating their destruction later down the road).

The La Touche maybe, but the mill has been a ruin for over 50 years.

The La Touche maybe, but the mill has been a ruin for over 50 years.

Even over 100 years

Would you be with me in putting that into practice? Just imagine, Swanner and The Durutti Column founding a civic association together!! Wow!!

I spilt coffee over my keyboard when I read that. It would possibly work well if you could agree on McDonalds at Blacklion.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

i cant wait for aldi in greystones i live in kilcoole i dont drive so its less of a hike for me with 3 young kids its hard going in and out to bray!!

I spilt coffee over my keyboard when I read that. It would possibly work well if you could agree on McDonalds at Blacklion.

Ah, that's why I prefaced it "Just imagine..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

When is this planned to open? need to hand in the CV pronto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 cici2k13

Does anyone know details about aldi interviews for greystones in the glenview tomorrow?

Advertisement