Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few Questions

• 15-02-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi Guys.
    So this was probably covered somewhere in the sticky but the questions there are endless so I thought I'd ask what I needed on one post to get all my Q's answered quickly.

I'm thinking of getting a scooter just for commuting to work and about and have a few questions.

1. I already have a learner permit for a car that I got about 4 years ago (my second LP at the moment) can I renew that one and have the category added on on will i need to do the theory test again?

2. Is an automatic or manual easier to manage. Seeing as I couldn't quite get to grips with clutch control in a manual car I just wanted to know.

3. Is it worth getting a bike before doing the IBT if the place your thinking of going to has them available?

4. What would be a good scooter to start out on. Maybe 50cc? Or higher? I'll gladly take any suggestions on board

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

First thing is a Theory test in Cat A.
    Then Learner permit. if over 24, get an unrestricted permit.
    Then IBT.
    Then buy a scooter that suits you, or you may be swayed towards a Motorbike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

1. I am afraid you will have to resit the test as Its different to the car theroy test. I think theres 4 catagorys overall, car is 1, bike is another and then trucks cover the rest! A lot of the questions overlap though, so it shouldnt really be too much of a bother but there is bike questions in there.

2. I am sure about automatic bikes but I drive manual. Its fine, its easy to get the hang of, and after a week or two youl stop counting gears and just get a feel for each gear and what the bike feels like in it.

3. Personally I dont think so no. You could want a completly different bike after doing your IBT especially if you found the one you did it on comfortable! But again thats up to you, I think youd just be teasing yourself though.

4. Again personally I would never drive a scooter. I find that there would never be enough power there to escape a tricky situation when needed. Id deffinatly recommend something higher CC and possible an actual motorbike. But if youve got your heart set on a scooter fire away!

Advertisement