Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you wish you could rediscover

• 15-02-2013 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Now and again a game comes along that changes how you see a certain genre. one of those games you cannot tear yourself away from because of the sheer awesomeness of it and you replay it over and over just for the mechanics alone. So what games have done this for you?

For me I'd have to go with

Half Life - To go from a game like Doom to Half Life was just insane.
    Skyrim - My first Elder Scroll game. Really showed me what an RPG could be.
    Deus Ex Human Revolution - Gave me hope for franchise games.
    Arkham Asylum - The fight mechanics were just brilliant.
    FF7 - Didn't appreciate it for what it was when I first played it
    Monkey Island - My introduction to point and click games
    Warcraft 2 - My first real time strategy game
    Red Alert - Introduced me to the C+C world
    Fallout 2 - So many hours. My first proper rpg
    Resident Evil 2 - My first survivla horror

I'll try add a few others as i think of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dead Space
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Bioshock
    Arkham Asylum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GTA was incredible when it came out.
    Original call of duty, or was it two? Where your fighting with the Russians and had to cross the river and run at the Germans with no gun. Most epic/cinematic opening to a game I'd seen to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bioshock 1 "would you kindly" ( Retrogamer, feck off! :D )
    Fallout 2 and 3 "the virtual reality bit in fallout 3 was really damn cool"
    Diablo 2 "would love to grind in that epic game again :("
    Witcher 1 and 2 "i only completed those recently, but god dammit those are great games and stories!"
    World of Warcraft "I would kill to be able to play mindlessly for hours that game :(, i loved it so much, now i cant even play more then then 5 minutes before getting bored"
    Hitman series "the proper old ones, not the new carebear one"
    Might and Magic 3 "Epicness!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

List threads tend not to be liked here, but I'll respond.

Ocarina of Time. It was an amazing game. I don't think I'll be the only one here to bring it up.
    Final Fantasy VIII. While I played a bit of VII I didn't play it all. VIII I did, and more than once. Loved it.
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls game, and to me, it was far superior to Oblivion, and probably better than Skyrim in terms of "for its time".
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic story was brilliant. I'd love to be able to play through that game again especially for a certain aspect of the storyline that people who have played it are probably nodding about.

I'm sure there are a hell of a lot more than that. My memory is pretty bad, so in a way I'm lucky. When I replay stuff, I love the things I forgot from my previous playthrough.

Edit: Saw BioShock posted. Yes, definitely worth adding that one. For similar enough reasons to KotOR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Shenmue 2
    Ms combat flight sim 2
    Geoff crammonds gp 4
    IL 2 1946

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Portal 2, I loved the first one but I just think everything about portal 2 is perfect, the music, the humor, the pacing, the characters, the co op, the fun. I wish I could experience all again for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Metal Gear Solid, wasted countless hours on that back in the day!
    God of War, similar story!!!!!!

Just 2 but there are just too many!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Plenty of games I'd love to experience again. FFVII would be a good one back when I didn't know better and wasn't a grump :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFVII would be a good one back when I didn't know better and wasn't a grump :P

Everyone needs to quote this when Retr0 posts in a FFVII thread!

The "grump" part is quite apt; to truly rediscover these games, we'd have to revert to the point in time when we discovered them. We're all a bit too savvy and cynical these days! There have been so many "This...is...amazing" moments for all of us through the years, but I've always found the games that come out when life is really interesting are the best.

Metal Gear Solid 3 and Resident Evil 4 both came out when I wasn't passing much heed to games, so I just saw them on the shelves. Both were enhanced by the context and the memories associated with them. I'd love to recapture those moments!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Pushtrak wrote: »
    List threads tend not to be liked here, but I'll respond.

Ocarina of Time. It was an amazing game. I don't think I'll be the only one here to bring it up.
    Final Fantasy VIII. While I played a bit of VII I didn't play it all. VIII I did, and more than once. Loved it.
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls game, and to me, it was far superior to Oblivion, and probably better than Skyrim in terms of "for its time".
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic story was brilliant. I'd love to be able to play through that game again especially for a certain aspect of the storyline that people who have played it are probably nodding about.

I'm sure there are a hell of a lot more than that. My memory is pretty bad, so in a way I'm lucky. When I replay stuff, I love the things I forgot from my previous playthrough.

Edit: Saw BioShock posted. Yes, definitely worth adding that one. For similar enough reasons to KotOR.

List threads are pointless, but when you put in a sentence or two to go with your list explaining your reasons then you have a discussion thread.

For me, I would love to experience Demon's Souls all over again each beaten boss or new shortcut opened was for me a great gaming moment.

MGS3 - Brillianly crafted game with the best boss fight ever, imo. Really enjoyed sniping against The End.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    MGS3 - Brillianly crafted game with the best boss fight ever, imo. Really enjoyed sniping against The End.
    I love MGS3. It is without a doubt my favourite of the first 3. I couldn't put a favourite between it and 4. I love both too much to even bother trying to resolve that particular question.

That boss battle is great. Had to help a friend with it, as he didn't realise about the tranq darts, and was having serious problems with it. There is some type of cheat or exploit that makes him easier to defeat. I know that much, but not what it is, and I don't need to or want to know, to be honest.

I think it is a game that really stressed the PS2 system. It was a game ahead of its time in the technical demands, IMO. I recently bought MGS HD. I haven't had a chance to try out 3, but I hear it plays amazingly in it. Looking forward to trying it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A Link to the past for me. I have finished it a good few times and know it backwards. If I could unlearn what I know, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Star Trek: Birth of the Federation - addictive as f*ck

I just had a proper look back over the thread there, and just noticed this:
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Interesting. I got in to a discussion relatively recently (last week or two) on eurogamer, and it was about JRPGs, et cetera. At the end of it, this was a game that was recommended. I had a look around at reviews, and it seemed like it was a good game. I actually bought it. Still have it in its plastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Interesting. I got in to a discussion relatively recently (last week or two) on eurogamer, and it was about JRPGs, et cetera. At the end of it, this was a game that was recommended. I had a look around at reviews, and it seemed like it was a good game. I actually bought it. Still have it in its plastic.

It's excellent. More strategy game than JRPG but a really good one. Surprisingly well written (it's a saturday morning cartoon version of WW2 yet still manages to show the horrors of war despite some silliness).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Hardly any,if I could go back to when I was a young un then
    Final Fantasy 7:
    When Aries died I stopped playing the game for ages,crestfallen I was

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

358oowj.jpg

Retro you can close this thread now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

FF7
    Skyrim
    fallout 3
    company of heros
    fear
    just cause 2
    red dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. The fluid movement, beautiful visuals, excellent live story and amazing acrobatic puzzles just blew me away like no other game.

Also, Okami, for the indescribably gorgeous art style, is never seen anything like it in a game before, and spent ages just *looking* at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

For me it would have to be something like Portal or Portal 2. Some game where the sheer joy of playing comes from solving the puzzles, and the jokes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Residen evil 2. great game and didn't play the first one.
    Silent hill was creepy and was going to throw the game out when you get killed at the start screamed at the screen then you wake up to Cebil.
    Broken Sword was great also as a puzzle game and good humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Infected Halcyon

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 10

Metal gear 1

Kabuki Quantum Fighter :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tombi!, Chrono Trigger, Mortal Kombat, GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

sonic 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Civ 2.

There are other games, though nothing quite like Civ2.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Diablo 2, just plain addictive.
    Final Fantasy 7 and 9, fell in love with 7, 9 was also great.
    Portal 2, the 1st game that I played through co-op, great being on voice-chat solving those incredible puzzles with a friend.
    World of Warcraft, my 1st mmo, blew my mind back in the day, never been able to recapture that same feeling in any other mmo.
    Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, incredible game.
    X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, found this game hiding on a relations ancient pc years ago, spent so much time in their house because of this game, was great.
    Doom and Doom 2, a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reckoner

Doom, what an epic game, and loved playing all the MOD levels too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Resident Evil 1
    Tomb Raider 1
    Final Fantasy 7

Music from any of these games brings back instant nostalgia and makes me wish I could wipe them from my mind and play them again. Very rare that 'this gen' games have that affect.

• No Particular order; I'm going all the way back...

Super Metroid...Super Metroid.....Super Metroid....Super Metroid
    Half Life 1 and 2
    Bioshock
    Quake 1
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Final Fantasy 7
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Donkey Kong Country
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Streets of Rage
    Resident Evil 2
    Fallout 3
    Command and Conquer: Red Alert
    Kirby's Dream Land (Weird I know but the very first video game I owned, never forgot as a child getting a Gamboy for my birthday :eek:)
    Warioland
    Very first time Playing Countersrike in an Internet Cafe
    Grim Fandango
    Gran Turismo
    Burnout 3
    Unreal Tournament
    Soldier of Fortune
    Dungeon Keeper 2
    Age of Empires

OK I will stop :pac:

One More: Silver

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stalker: shadow of chernobyl and stalker: call of pripyat

have put over 600 hours into both these games since I first played chernobyl in october '10

played pripyat again a couple of months ago.. been fighting the urge for the past week to play it again. being able to do it all again for the first time would be nice although they're both so recent I can remember the experience.

Advertisement