Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you wish you could rediscover

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

stalker: shadow of chernobyl and stalker: call of pripyat

have put over 600 hours into both these games since I first played chernobyl in october '10

played pripyat again a couple of months ago.. been fighting the urge for the past week to play it again. being able to do it all again for the first time would be nice although they're both so recent I can remember the experience.

I've been meaning to play that game, thanks for reminding me. Good to see a few gamer vapers in this forum :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

be sure and get the complete mod for both games. doesn't change much from vanilla, but has bugfixes and graphical updates and the like

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009 for chernobyl

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-complete pripyat

• 1z5u4bb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If I could "unplay" one game just to experience it again it would be Final Fantasy Tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

For me, it has to be:

Resident Evil. That bit when the first zombie turns around, a little bit of wee escaped every time.

Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2. I sunk so many hours into those games, 2 especially. Was just talking to a mate about it the other day. Slapping the Mistress, and her "OOohhhhh" got me through many a cold pre decent internet days. Found this https://wftogame.com/ It's being funded through Kickstarter, and looks very, VERY familiar. In a good way.

Alien Resurrection. Nothing I can say will get across how much atmosphere I thought this game had.

Black & White. Those blasted singing sailors. Dropping a sheep on the ship and the "Oh, this will keep us warm on those lonely nights at sea."

Diaspora. It was a MMORPG space trading/fighting game. Static screens, no graphics worth a damn, never got past open Beta. But the game. The community. The feeling of terror if you jumped into a screen, in you Nereid freighter, and saw a screen full of Endymion Destroyers/Behemoths. I used to play an hour before I went to school, and when I came home, bang on 6pm (cheap internet), I'd log on, and play until 12, sleep and do it all over again.

Arkham Asylum. Simply excellent.

Fallout 3. I couldn't put it down. Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The entire fallout series, back when I would have thought the first two were incredible. They deserve another blind playthrough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

stalker: shadow of chernobyl and stalker: call of pripyat

have put over 600 hours into both these games since I first played chernobyl in october '10

played pripyat again a couple of months ago.. been fighting the urge for the past week to play it again. being able to do it all again for the first time would be nice although they're both so recent I can remember the experience.

My first thought when I saw this thread as well, undoubtedly the most unique fps I've played in tems of atmosphere and immersion and I'd love to be able to experience it all for the first time again, I've gone back to SoC countless times for brief flirts with the world but nothing comes close to going into the underground labs for the first time!

Other honourable mentions..

Bioshock, GTA III, Zelda OoT, Portal 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Pokemon series, Shenmue 1 & 2, Chrono Trigger and probably plenty of others if I had the time to think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Sir Digby, Harps, I don't have a great graphics card on my PC. Actually, it's terrible, so I haven't gotten the chance to play the Stalker games. Have ye tried Metro 2033? It may be a game ye would enjoy. Though, apparently, on PC there are issues with it... Specifically, even people with high end machines have trouble getting the most out of it. If looking for something to play, look it up, and give it a play if ye think ye'd enjoy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Sir Digby, Harps, I don't have a great graphics card on my PC. Actually, it's terrible, so I haven't gotten the chance to play the Stalker games. Have ye tried Metro 2033? It may be a game ye would enjoy. Though, apparently, on PC there are issues with it... Specifically, even people with high end machines have trouble getting the most out of it. If looking for something to play, look it up, and give it a play if ye think ye'd enjoy it.

oh yeah, played metro a couple of times. i love it, but I find the big ass meat shield monsters in it kind of irritating so I don't return to it as often as I should. excellent world/atmosphere though and a great game overall.

iirc it was made by some people that were working on stalker: shadow of chernobyl but left (for one reason or another.. not sure if it was amicable) and took some of their work with them to start on metro 2033

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Broken Sword
    Shenmue 1 & 2
    Resident Evil 1 & 2
    Final Fantasy 7, 8, & 9
    Deus Ex 1

The big one for me would be Grim Fandango, mainly because I haven't played it in years and can't get it running on the PC without bugging out. I am hoping GOG get's it at some stage.

This time next month I will probably add Ni No Kuni to this list. Proper tidy, it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pushtrak wrote: »

The first STALKER game is surprisingly easy to run if you stick with static lighting and switch of anti-aliasing, even my notebook laptop with an intel card could manage it at around 30fps. The dynamic lighting really adds to the atmosphere but its still a great experience either way

Havent played Metro but its in my steam library so must get around to it some day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

reckoner wrote: »
    Doom, what an epic game, and loved playing all the MOD levels too.
    I'm not really into video games but this was pre-installed in a pc i had in the late 90's and i became addicted to it. Technically compared to the games around now it was very basic but at the time it was revolutionary. AFAIK it was the first , first person shooter game. Happy memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Just to add a few more to my opening list.

FF7 - Didn't appreciate it for what it was when I first played it
    Monkey Island - My introduction to point and click
    Warcraft 2 - My first real time strategy game
    Red Alert - Introduced me to the C+C world
    Fallout 2 - So many hours
    Resident Evil 2 - My first horror

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Oh forgot about the stalker series :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned.

But if I could erase all the memories of any game just to experience it for the first time again, it would be Shadow of the Colossus. It was stand-out in every way. The isolation of the world, the musical cues, the pure immersion. And that thought when you have finally made your way miles to find a new colossus of 'how in the hell am I gonna take thus guy down'. Better yet, how the game makes you question why you are doing what you are doing to the extent that I started to feel sorry for destroying these ethereal giants.

Sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

grim fandango.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Many games come to mind,as already mentioned,MGS3,Resident Evil 4,FF 8 but I don't think anything to me can compare to when the first generation Pokemon games first came out for the Gameboy.Probably one of the finest examples of giving the player a sense of adventure and it was a real challenge too to get all 151 of them as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

The original Ratchet and Clank-First game I got on ps2 and I dont know what it is bu that game in my opinion is amazing I loved the story and the music.

Fable 2 -I shed a tear when *SPOILER* that dog died and I opted not for riches but to bring him back haven't had a feel like that from games in a long time

Rome Total War- In my opinion Creative Assembly's Magnus Opus great great great game

Fallout New Vegas- I loved the setting and the empty feeling you got walking the desert.Again it was funny and the caesars legion stuff was great

Team Fortress 2- It got me into fps games,I loved the different classes and the humor of the game

Skyrim- First game in a long time i was excited about and its delivered in spades still playing my first character from launch through

World of Warcraft - my first MMO met great people had fun but gave it up because of the leaving will be going back to it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Morrowind. There's yet to be another game that genuinely made me feel as if I was being transported to a living and breathing world of it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

FF10.

I loved that game so I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

Dr Gradus wrote: »
    I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned.

But if I could erase all the memories of any game just to experience it for the first time again, it would be Shadow of the Colossus. It was stand-out in every way. The isolation of the world, the musical cues, the pure immersion. And that thought when you have finally made your way miles to find a new colossus of 'how in the hell am I gonna take thus guy down'. Better yet, how the game makes you question why you are doing what you are doing to the extent that I started to feel sorry for destroying these ethereal giants.

Sublime.
    I had that SOC but never really got to play it. It kept freezing but as of late alot of people I know say its a great game
    might go back and try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

For me:

Resident Evil: got it on release and knew from the reviews it was going to be scary. It's easy to laugh now at its low res graphics and pedestrian scares but back then you'd never seen anything like it, from the first zombie to the dogs busting through the window to seeing the hunter's pov running into the house along the same route you just did.
    It was brilliant, myself and my mates used to gather and play it and try clock it in under 3hrs to get the rocket launcher, and knew it backwards after a few weeks (back when you only got games for occasions and played everything you owned to death)

Super Mario World: a game that still sits in my top 10, was the first game I played on Super Nintendo after a friend got one for his birthday not long after they came out here, and I was blown away, the colours, the design, how much stuff there was to do in it. Whats with the empty blocks? can I climb this thing? how do I get to that door? oh look different turtles make Yoshi spit different things! fly under the exit? how do I do that? If you could write a blueprint on how to craft a perfect game, you'd use SMW.

Half Life: I'd played Doom and Quake, but this was something else, where cinematics occured before your eyes, so many classic moments too. The iconic opening, the experiment, whats that banging noise? are those tentacles?! hearing the radio chatter of the soldiers, flatlining as you die, going to the alien planet, making a crowbar seem like something everyone should have in apocalyptic situations.

Metal Gear Solid: The series as a whole is flawed, with some terrible self indulgence, crappy writing and plot twists and some truly awful humour, but the first game is still brilliant. It blew my mind that Psycho Mantis knew what games were on my memory card, great setting, great music, brilliant boss fights, probably the ps1's crowning glory.

quick mentions for Shadow Of The Colossus, Tetris, Mario 3, Super Metroid, GTAIII, SF2, Streets of Rage 2, and countless others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Sonic
    Ecco
    Soliel
    Thunder force 4
    Megaman 2
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    FF 7
    Castlevania SOTN
    Street fighter 2 (still the best game ever made)
    Doom
    Super Mario world
    Resident Evil
    Soul Calibur
    Half life
    Legacy of Kain games

I think these were the best times I had were there was something special about each one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I wish I could play Little Inferno through again with a fresh memory. That was a little slice of wonderful, the fun of burning sh*t, the strange, sometimes tragic, sometimes bloody hilarious notes you got from your neighbour, the weather forecasts... The story just built up around you without you really noticing.

Oh, and Bastion. While it wasn't anything new or great mechanically, it had a story and atmosphere all its own which could send chills down my spine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

phantasy star universe sucked a lot of my time but it was a lot of fun.

Civ 2 would be up there for a game I would love to return to.
    Age of Empires 2 aswell. Such an amazing game for it's time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Enslaved.

Bit of a strange one maybe to some but having the story unfold and witnessing how Monkey and Trip grew close really hit a note with me. Wonderful story within an admittedly limited game.

Loved it and wish I could play it for the first time again.

Good shout for Portal 2 aswell though. Would give anything to relive the moment you come across Cave Johnson for the first time. One of the most perfect voice-casting efforts in gaming IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

1. Playing illicit multiplayer Quake in the computer labs in UCC many many moons ago.

First time I'd played an 'online' game like that (as opposed to console multiplayer). Blew my mind. Nailing someone to be greeted by shreiks from the other end of the room. Oh yeah :cool:

2. Homeworld: Cataclysm. The preparation, preparing my fleet for combo. The sense of SCI-FI grandeur. Oh man, I was so pumped up even as my laptop chugged under the load of the number of ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Going to list a few from some different platforms (where I played them).

Bards Tale - C64
    Bubble Bobble - C64; spent hours with my brother on this until we beat it :)
    Dungeon Master - Amiga 500
    Gods - Amiga 500
    Legacy of Kain Series
    > Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - PS1 - 4 stars
    > Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - PS1 - 5 stars (not sure it has aged that well)
    > Soul Reaver 2 - PS2
    > Blood Omen 2 - PS2
    > Legacy of Kain: Defiance - PS2 - bla, but still good (ish)
    Tomb Raider - PS1
    Final Fantasy 7 - PS1
    ICO - loved it

Will stop there for the moment, not going to list out any of the PS3 ones - there are quite a few that I really enjoyed, just as with the 360 (ok Fable 2)...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Tomb Raider 1
    Remember it loading up and thinking wow this looks awesome. Had no idea how good the game was going to be.

Resident Evil 1
    Dogs crashing through the window. Still the scariest thing I've encountered in a videogame.

Resistance 1 & 2
    Resistance 1 Fall of man was the first game I had for the PS3 and the sequel was the first time I played in HD with a HDMI cable

FF VII and FFX
    Playing 8 & 9 on the Vita at the moment. They're very good but the above two took over my life. Remember playing VII and I'd wake up at 3am play a few hours and then head into work (I have a real addictive personality)

Everybody's Golf (Online)

MW 2 (Online)
    Haring round Wasteland drunk, listening to Eminem with akimbo MP5Ks

There's a ton of other games I really like - Dead Space, Far Cry 3, God of War....... but the ones above just sucked me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Id love to rediscover a time period more than single game.

1999-2002 CS/TFC and RTCW, the whole online thing blew my mind at the time. Fun fun fun. Then the next 10 years playing CS competitively, going to my first lan tournament etc.

Getting an N64 for Christmas with goldeneye mario64 and mariokart was amazing too.

Advertisement