Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you wish you could rediscover

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The obvious answer for me would be the Mass Effect series. I got the first game free with my first 360, along with PGR4. I left Mass Effect in the plastic wrap for about a week because I was contemplating selling it. Then one day, I just popped it in the drive. I poured about 500 hours into that game between all my playthroughs. Then ME2 built on that, and 95% of ME3 made that even better. I finished ME3 back in May, and I haven't been able to return to the series, even to try and get alternate endings or to play the "new" ending. It makes me sad that I'll never be able to get to know Garrus and Liara from the start again.

Apart from that, I'd love to play Mercenaries or Mercenaries 2 for the first time again. The original was the first time I'd experienced such destructible environments. I remember completely demolishing a giant section of Pyongyang one evening. :pac:
    Then M2... my first evening with that, I hopped in the jeep on the starter island, and went speeding up the dirt path. It was such a thrill to crash through barriers and watch them disintegrate. I'd never seen effects like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

For me it has to be Monkey Island, UFO Enemy Unknown, SWOS & original CM series. These turned casual gaming into a full on addiction. I remember completing UFO in 3/4 days with only a few hours of sleep.

I have been playing XCOM Enemy Unknown and its very close to the original so actually feels like I am playing the original with better graphics. I almost regrest starting to play it because its just to close to the original that I cannot feel the love. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Been thinking more about this and the original Deus Ex has to be a big one.

I've restarted this game a few times in the last couple of years and never got very far due to it not ageing that well even with the HD textures and it not being quite as good as my memory romanticised it was. Was an absolute masterpiece in its day with one of the most intriguing stories and pioneered the choice/effect story lines that are done so often (and so poorly) today.

Would love to be that 17 year old kid in college firing it up for the first time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Metal Gear Solid
    Movie like plot and delivery (before it went off the rails)
    First experience of stealth gameplay for me
    The quirkiness of it (hiding in boxes), squirting the ketchup on the cell floor to trick the guard to come in then jump up and knock him out.
    "Psycho Mantis knows I play ISS - WTF!"

GTA3
    Openworld for the first time. Rob any car, mow down a city full of people, evade the cops, etc etc etc. First night I got it I stayed up with some friends til 7am, "Just one more lash" Good times!

More recently Skyrim - Played MW but didnt really get into it. Same with Oblivion. The repetitive quests, characters and dialogue didnt help. Skyrim had all those too but did a better job of masking them. After 200 hours, I didnt feel as if every random cave I entered had the same layout and enemies. So much to see and do. Havent lost myself in a game like that since I was a kid so it deserves a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Sonic the Hedgehog - First game I ever had for Mega Drive. Played it to death.
    Streets of Rage - Must've finished this a million times.
    Earthworm Jim - Never finished it, but always had fun playing it.
    Jungle Strike - Never owned a copy. Must've rented it 40 or 50 times.
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - This game. I put so many hours into this game. Like, I was addicted to it.
    Original Pokémon series - Likewise. Massive addiction.
    Fallout 3 - Played out ever inch of this game as well.

Oh, and flipping Micro Machines on my Sega. With the cart with the 2 extra controller ports. THREE MATES PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME!? Living in the future so we were.

• Advertisement
Advertisement