Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

78 year old grandmother wrongly accused of shoplifting

Options
  • 15-02-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

My grandmother has one of those little canvas carts on two wheels that you always see old ladies wheeling about with them.

Doing her shopping she'd often put items in the cart then take them out to pay at the tills. She was in a euro shop today in the local shopping centre, and was buying two crappy microwave dish thingies.

She paid for the items and then walked home. After she'd been home a few minutes a Garda squad car pulled up with two gardai and two shop assistants who accused her of stealing their sh1te 2euro dishes. Luckily she still had her receipt with the dishes in her bag. It looks like some shop assistant saw her putting the dishes in her little cart, but then didn't see her paying for them at the checkout and called the guards!

The assistants apologised at the house and the gardai said their actions were out of order, but to be honest that's not good enough - my grandmother was left very upset by the whole thing. It was way OTT - why they shop assistants couldnt just approach her in the store i do not know - did they feel they needed back up?? She's 78 ffs.

Anyway, I just wanted to check if there was any course of action open to her at this point or what her rights would be here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

coures of action: do nothing
    she has the right to accept the appology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Branoic wrote: »
    My grandmother has one of those little canvas carts on two wheels that you always see old ladies wheeling about with them.

Doing her shopping she'd often put items in the cart then take them out to pay at the tills. She was in a euro shop today in the local shopping centre, and was buying two crappy microwave dish thingies.

She paid for the items and then walked home. After she'd been home a few minutes a Garda squad car pulled up with two gardai and two shop assistants who accused her of stealing their sh1te 2euro dishes. Luckily she still had her receipt with the dishes in her bag. It looks like some shop assistant saw her putting the dishes in her little cart, but then didn't see her paying for them at the checkout and called the guards!

The assistants apologised at the house and the gardai said their actions were out of order, but to be honest that's not good enough - my grandmother was left very upset by the whole thing. It was way OTT - why they shop assistants couldnt just approach her in the store i do not know - did they feel they needed back up?? She's 78 ffs.

Anyway, I just wanted to check if there was any course of action open to her at this point or what her rights would be here?

They would call the guards as it was probably a shop policy to avoid various legal avenues being used against them and also on advice of their insurance company.

If they have only informed the Gardai it's likely they can relay on the defence of qualified privilege to any defamation action your granny might take. Consult a solicitor if you're in anyway serious about progressing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Allegation was made, and it was proven to be untrue. The assistants apologised and got a telling off from the gardai. This seems about right to me so I ask one question; What more do you want? The two assistants who made the complaint probably rightfully ended up feeling like idiots.

Write a letter to or call in to see the manager of the store, make a complaint based on the poor communication between staff in that shop. A quick word by the floor staff concerned with the till workers who served your grandmother would have cleared this up very quickly. Wasting gardai time and causing undue distress to an eldery lady is unacceptable.

Wait until you've calmed down (not that I'm suggesting you're not calm; I haven't a clue :) But I'd understand if you're rather ticked off!) because otherwise they'll just dissmiss you as an over emotive pest out for blood!

And lastly, sorry that happened your grandmother, what a ****ty thing for anyone to go through. I know people may say they were just doing their job but proper communication between the employees in the store would have nipped this in the bud very quickly.

jordainius wrote: »
    And lastly, sorry that happened your grandmother, what a ****ty thing for anyone to go through. I know people may say they were just doing their job but proper communication between the employees in the store would have nipped this in the bud very quickly.

How so? someone saw someone nicking and called the guards. Before anyone tries to tell me pensioners don't steal - I can assure I know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

How so? someone saw someone nicking and called the guards. Before anyone tries to tell me pensioners don't steal - I can assure I know better.

How can someone see someone nicking something when nobody actually nicked anything? Being wrongly accused of something is a ****ty thing for anyone to go through, particularly when gardai become involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

:confused: they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

They didn't :confused: rather than using a basket the grandmother used her cart/trolley to carry the goods around the shop before paying for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Honestly you'd only have a case if they held her in the store. (False imprisonment)

But this is the reason they ask you to use baskets in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

At least the cops were doing their job, they got info about something which was illegal, and they acted accordingly, while not intercepting some bad sorts on the way, HEY I get paid to work not to disect, what is easier, to climb up or down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Honestly you'd only have a case if they held her in the store. (False imprisonment)

But this is the reason they ask you to use baskets in the store.

There may very well be a case for defamation, while the shop could raise the defence of qualified privilege same may or may not succeed.

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    How can someone see someone nicking something when nobody actually nicked anything? Being wrongly accused of something is a ****ty thing for anyone to go through, particularly when gardai become involved.
    P_1 wrote: »
    They didn't :confused: rather than using a basket the grandmother used her cart/trolley to carry the goods around the shop before paying for them.

I should have inserted the word *thought* but that still doesn't answer the question of how better staff communication solves the issue.

Bit daft all round in all honesty. If you're not happy with the apology see a solicitor, people have cashed in on less when in comes to shops I can assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

There may very well be a case for defamation, while the shop could raise the defence of qualified privilege same may or may not succeed.

So in not succeeding, which I think would be the end, granny 1 will win, in this instance.

I should have inserted the word *thought* but that still doesn't answer the question of how better staff communication solves the issue.

Bit daft all round in all honesty. If you're not happy with the apology see a solicitor, people have cashed in on less when in comes to shops I can assure you.

Yeah both parties fcuked up truth be told.

The granny should have used a basket and the staff should've made sure the items were paid for before calling the guards.

I can't see what satisfaction the granny would get from getting a few min wage retail staff the sack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

It happened to my grandmother a few years ago, she was older than your grandmother. It happened in a large supermarket in Maynooth ( that sounds like Desco!) where a security guard detained her wrongly. I wouldnt say she even knew the word shoplift!! It got settled out of court but was in the region of 10k, she was genuinely frightened and upset over it. Her progress was physically impeded by a heavy handed security man. Only claim I've ever heard of any family member making, so it was because she was genuinely wronged, we're not in the habit of it if people think that. Only look for compensation if you think its warranted though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

It is absolutely disgusting. Absolutely poor staff etiquette.

Anybody who's suffered through a false allegation of theft
    will know how indignified it is. An apology does little to
    rectify that.

And all over a pair of €2 dishes. Disgusting.

Yeah both parties fcuked up truth be told.

The granny should have used a basket and the staff should've made sure the items were paid for before calling the guards.

I can't see what satisfaction the granny would get from getting a few min wage retail staff the sack.

Why would the shop staff get the sack, they made a mistake but I would guess they only followed procedure.

Why would the shop staff get the sack, they made a mistake but I would guess they only followed procedure.

Well the sack might be an overreaction but it would be the logical conclusion to the granny or their family taking legal action against the shop.

They apologised for their mistake, what more would she want?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Can I ask how did they know who your granny was and where she lives? Very strange also that the guards took 2 assistants with them to someones house over a few euro. The company also taking a big risk for a few euro..

Well the sack might be an overreaction but it would be the logical conclusion to the granny or their family taking legal action against the shop.

They apologised for their mistake, what more would she want?

She may want to make sure it does not happen again, she may want the company to introduce better procedures. She may want the company to compensate her for the upset caused.

Calling the police for 2 €2 microwave dishes is a bit of an over reaction. Having a police car pull up to a 78 year old women and have them question her would cause severe upset, many old people could become very upset by the action of this company and this women is entitled to do anything she wishes to help set her right.

If the company fires the workers, they may well deserve that if they don't then they would have a claim for unfair dismissal.

She may want to make sure it does not happen again, she may want the company to introduce better procedures. She may want the company to compensate her for the upset caused.

Calling the police for 2 €2 microwave dishes is a bit of an over reaction. Having a police car pull up to a 78 year old women and have them question her would cause severe upset, many old people could become very upset by the action of this company and this women is entitled to do anything she wishes to help set her right.

If the company fires the workers, they may well deserve that if they don't then they would have a claim for unfair dismissal.

That's fair enough I suppose, waste of money and time for all concerned IMO though. if we sued for everybody's fcukups we'd all go fairly broke fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jluv wrote: »
    Can I ask how did they know who your granny was and where she lives? Very strange also that the guards took 2 assistants with them to someones house over a few euro. The company also taking a big risk for a few euro..
    I wondered that too. OP??

That's fair enough I suppose, waste of money and time for all concerned IMO though. if we sued for everybody's fcukups we'd all go fairly broke fairly quickly.

If we don't sue when people ****ups people would not be as careful as the law forces them to be.

If this lady thinks that court is the answer she has that right, she may decide not to she may. But the fact that people do sue can help put manners on people.

If we don't sue when people ****ups people would not be as careful as the law forces them to be.

If this lady thinks that court is the answer she has that right, she may decide not to she may. But the fact that people do sue can help put manners on people.

Yes but the granny also fcuked up by not using a basket in the shop.

I'm no legal eagle but I can see the case going like this:

Lawyer A - My client suffered emotional distress due to the store staff not following procedure.

Lawyer B - Your client brought this on themselves by not following my client's procedure.

Judge - Both arguments cancel each other out, case dismissed.

Lawyer A & Lawyer B - That will be x euro please.

Both parties - Well that was a monumental waste of time and money

Lawyer A - My client suffered emotional distress due to the store staff not following procedure.

Lawyer B - Your client brought this on themselves by not following my client's procedure.

Your describing contributory negligence but this is a potential defamation case.

What actually happens in the jury retire - like the looks of the old dear - come back out and award €150,000 because that's the figure they've pulled out of their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

There's no guarantee that a basket was the "outlined" procedure.

I use the bottom of my pram for carrying my goods when I'm shopping in superquinn as I've a double buggy with 2 kids occupying both seats so I've no way to handle a basket or trolley. I've never had an issue and there's no notices instructing me to use a basket or trolley in the store. Trolleys and baskets are provided for my convenience but I dont have to nor does the store require me to use them. I doubt many stores have such policies in writing.

Your so right I forgot about the law that says people should use the basket provided in the shop, ya I remember now the sign in all shops "only use our baskets"

You are also right when you said "I'm no legal eagle" the case would not go as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

Seek legal advise where theres blame theres a claim your granny was treated badly.as for the JOBS WORTHS push it the whole way to have them sacked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Who cares if she used a basket or not? I often walk around with my bag for life thing and use that instead of a basket and have never had an issue.
    She didn't steal anything.
    Fullstop
    It doesn't matter if she used a trolley or her pockets you only steal if you leave the store without paying which she didn't. So she didn't f**k up the shop did.

It sounds like the shop assistants got a bit excited and jumped the gun a bit here. They must have checked with the cashier.
    But they accused her without evidence instead. Bad PR and is worth a strong letter. Not sure what else I would want though. If she is genuinely distressed tell her to consult a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Breaking into a sweat reading this post, as most retail professionals probably are......sloppy work by the retail assistants but at least they are trying to do their jobs.

I've seen 4yrs to 90 year olds shop lift, everything from 25c up so value and age doesn't come into it...very surprised they went to the length of arriving at the lady's house with the guards...normal procedure would be to check the cameras and be 100% sure, there are always cameras over the till points..then call in the guards.

However, the lady in question was apologized to for the mistake, which it was, and the shop assistants were trying to do their job...and I'm sure they got no satisfaction in calling the guards. Shoplifting is rife at the moment and the feedback I get from the shop floors is its heartbreaking at the moment trying to protect stock. On top of that everyone is looking for a claim, or to engineer one.

This isn't a case of someone been held against their will which is a very serious thing to get wrong...The lady is well within her rights to complain to head office and explain she was embarrassed, I can sympathize with her and I'm sure staff will get a ticking off, but that's about it, I don't see a claim here...but I'm not a solicitor.

• Advertisement

Your so right I forgot about the law that says people should use the basket provided in the shop, ya I remember now the sign in all shops "only use our baskets"

You are also right when you said "I'm no legal eagle" the case would not go as you said.

That's true, maybe I've been watching too many episodes of Suits :o

Most of those discount shops tend to have signs up that say 'Please use a basket'. Now would that count as a policy in a court, I don't know, I have never studied the theory of the Law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement