Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

63A Switch Fuse Melted

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i'm not sure that it's a good idea to remove the switchfuse/mcb from the distribution board and replace with switch

it might be safer to leave the 2 in series in case there's a prob and you have tampered with pre-assembled DB

although i've done it as it goes against my logic to have 2 63amps in series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Even at that there is every chance that the cut out fuse would blow first if there was a short.

Sometimes there just seems to be a policy to make up rules for the sake of being seen to do something.

Yes indeed

M cebee wrote: »
    i'm not sure that it's a good idea to remove the switchfuse/mcb from the distribution board and replace with switch
    No I wouldnt think that was being suggested, just that it is sort of redundant with the MCB in the line.

Bruthal wrote: »
    No I wouldnt think that was being suggested, just that it is sort of redundant with the MCB in the line.

yah i was talking to myself really

yah i was talking to myself really

A sure sign of madness, as seen in my location on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

Bruthal wrote: »
    I was thinking it is a rule requirement only if out in an outside box alright, more than a couple of meters away.

I was reading about this last week.

The regs say it's required if the tails are longer than 3 metres. Seperate to that the ESB code of practice talks about an IP rated enclosure and mounting it in their cabinet, but nothing about when the meter and distribution board are both inside.

I think I also read about an amendment to the rules that says a type C MCB is now permissible as main OCPD because of nuisance tripping. I wonder what the motivation was for moving to MCBs.

how tight does the fuse holder and cable connections actually need to be to prevent overheating later?

how tight does the fuse holder and cable connections actually need to be to prevent overheating later?

Id say there is a good variation, as to how tight a connection is, has a bearing, which will depend on the overall contact area between wire end, and terminal.

Imo, lugs are the best way of creating a connection which will reliably handle the capacity of a cable or wire, and much more so as they get bigger, since they convert the end of the cable into a nice flat contact area.

But its probably the fuse contact which causes most of the problems in them sw fuses. They have a nice flat contact area also, but unlike lugs, are depending on just being held in place by the holder setup rather than tightly clamped.

Advertisement