Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which airline

Options
  • 15-02-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Traveling to the states soon (New Orleans and Savannah) and my two cheapest options are United via Newark outbound and Washington inbound and US Airways via Charlotte outbound and Philly inbound. They are pretty much the same price but wondering which airline is better trans Atlantic. I've flown United internal and wasn't overly impressed but they seem to offer the better in flight service out of Ireland with VOD and power points in each seat where US offer nothing really. So am I correct in thinking United would be the lesser of two evils. Not to worried about the internal flights as they are short enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If the price is similar, I'd opt for the United ones. Unless you have your own entertainment, or the connections on US work better and you're willing to live with the lack of seat back TV's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Never fly us airways transatlantic, try delta via Atlanta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Never fly us airways transatlantic, try delta via Atlanta

Yeah Delta are my preference but they are about 300 euro more expensive per person so can't justify that. Both connections with United and US are really good and United are 10 euro cheaper so there's nothing to choose between them except for the in flight product which United seem to have the advantage. Newark is also great at connecting too where as I've never connected through a US hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

The US Airways boring process wrecks my head! First / First Elite / Elite First/ Gold Members / Diamond Members / Miles Ahead / Have Children / Expecting Children / Zone 5 / ..... Then anyone else with a ticket! Every time a new "zone" boards, everyone else has to get out of their seat! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

I fly regularly to the us with work and going on Sunday.
    I've flown them all and us airways is by far the worst...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, if you are going to be traveling between now and the end of March or thereabouts, I'd pick traveling via Charlotte over Newark, Philly or DC. The north eastern US can get battered very badly by epic snow storms, that can severely impact flights in and out, both international and domestic. It happened just last week to most of New England. It's not just about what airline is the most comfortable, but what airport(s) offer up the least risk of any of your flights being canceled. That's something I always factor into my travels to the US at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Have you priced AA?Not sure of their routes though.

Not going till the middle of May so weather shouldn't be an issue. AA prices aren't the best and the home leg from Savannah the only option I get is via DFW and ORD so couldn't be bothered with that. United and US are by far the best options I have. Think I'm going to book United though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I do it about twice a year and have been using Continental which is now United.

Comparatively comfy and convenient.

Somehow I've lost my ability to sleep on planes so the entertainment unit in the seat back in front of you is one of the biggest draws. They have enough choice of films and television to keep you occupied for six or seven hours which is big.

Whats it like on the other airlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Varies on the airlines obviously:

Delta, depends on the aircraft (may just have overheads on the older planes)
    American: generally no individual screens
    Aer Lingus: all on demand, content isn't the most extensive
    US: zilch, just overheads

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Varies on the airlines obviously:

Delta, depends on the aircraft (may just have overheads on the older planes)
    American: generally no individual screens
    Aer Lingus: all on demand, content isn't the most extensive
    US: zilch, just overheads
    Flew Delta to Atlanta last year and they had seat back screens but think it's only during the summer. Continental had them also a few years ago so it seems United are continuing this. going to book United tomorrow just hope their prices haven't changed as they have gone up and down like crazy the last few weeks

Advertisement