Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Footballer comes out and retires !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

wadacrack wrote: »
    The numbers dont lie 2 coaches out of over 90 in Professional level are black. Racism does still exist in football in england. Your naive to think there is no racism evident in english football. Sol campbell brother was jailed for 12 mths for attacking a fan more his homophobic comments so it clearly effected him and his family

You're all over the shop. Nothing in what we've discussed mentioned racisim, but you've seemed to shoehorn into a response to one of my posts. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What has Macho got to do with it?

someone earlier was saying that it would be ok to be gay in golf or tennis, thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

thebaz wrote: »
    someone earlier was saying that it would be ok to be gay in golf or tennis, thats all

Not ok.. but i do think it would be easier for a gay person to participate in these sports and enviroment. A football environment with teh fans abuse would need a very mentally strong person to be involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

"Girly" does not offend me as a woman. And I don't think the OP is homophobic - maybe some of their choice of words aren't palatable to everyone, but I think people should cut them some slack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/sports/soccer/robbie-rogers-a-us-soccer-player-reveals-he-is-gay.html

Probably right decision to retire the abuse from teammamtes and supporters might have been too much for the lad. makes you wonder is thee many gay men playin sports.

He could have carried on if he was gay, but gay and a name like Robbie Rogers.....god love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

thebaz wrote: »
    I find it strange in the world of today - gay marriage , metrosexuals etc. - that he is the only professonal footballer who is openly gay apart from Justin Fashanu who has since died - football is not the most macho of sports anyway , with the diving and feigned injury

Rugby is a much tougher sport where so many of those divers would piss themselves if they got thrown on the pitch. Funnily enough rugby is also more open and not as homophobic as football.

The generation xcess documentary springs to mind but you get my drift :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1ZRed wrote: »

Rugby is a much tougher sport where so many of those divers would piss themselves if they got thrown on the pitch. Funnily enough rugby is also more open and not as homophobic as football.

Gareth Thomas disagrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

1ZRed wrote: »

I don't know,I'd allways have my suspicions that fellahs wearing the 10-15 shirts would be more dandy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

lazygal wrote: »
    How is using a term like 'girly' about a gay man not offensive? What's funny about it, if its a joke? Is it funny that gay men act like 'girls',is that the joke?

Why do you feel the need to carry on with the haranguing? Is that going to make people change their opinions is it? By acting sanctimonious?

Him quitting is a bad move. Makes it look like he thinks his team mates will reject him, when he couldn't possibly have known what they'd say unless he's come out beforehand. And they can't be too happy that he's made it look that way either. Should have hung on, if they didn't want him he should have asked for a transfer.
    4% of Britains are Black. So having 3 coaches from my calculation is not far off the average.

Exactly. How many black players actually go and do their badges? The ones that have done them have generally been given a chance and succeeded or been rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

There are no openly gay footballers playin english football. What does that tell you..There are scared to come out. many players have been accussed of being gay and had to deal with homphopic abuse . Sol campbell was always accused of being gay whne he wasnt
    So was Graeme Le Saux, for nothing more than reading The Guardian - gives you an insight into the mindset of the average football fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sliding in from behind can get you sent off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

darced wrote: »

Why, 'cause he might lose control and bum rape them?

What's he going to do? Wash himself in the puddles near the goals?

token101 wrote: »
    What's he going to do? Wash himself in the puddles near the goals?

well other [players would probably not feel comfortable showering with a gay man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Why?

Eh, dont flatter yourself...:rolleyes:

Not a straight guy, no, but would have absolutely no problem showering with a lesbian.

well other [players would probably not feel comfortable showering with a gay man

They've been doing it for the past whatever number of years he's been at the club FFS :pac:

• Advertisement

token101 wrote: »
    They've been doing it for the past whatever number of years he's been at the club FFS :pac:

they werent aware he was gay obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    So was Graeme Le Saux, for nothing more than reading The Guardian - gives you an insight into the mindset of the average football fan.

what was that all about - also why did the American footballer feal it necessary to retire ?

G. Thomas continued playing Rugby League, as tough a sport as there is

I often do in the gym

Is it not the same thing for a woman to shower with a lesbian as it is for a man to shower with a gay man?

she wouldn't feel intimidated by showering with a lesbian she means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

I dont think the OP is homophobic but his/her pre-edited OP is a really great example of exactly whats wrong. Many of the referenced player's former team-mates are now probably defending their slurs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

efb wrote: »
    I often do in the gym

And you don't think that a certain percentage of the gym-going population is gay?

• Advertisement

yermandan wrote: »
    I dont think the OP is homophobic but his/her pre-edited OP is a really great example of exactly whats wrong. Many of the referenced player's former team-mates are now probably defending their slurs!!

i really dont think i came across as homophobic at all.However i do think many people have a naive attitude towards gay sportspeople especially in pro football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I wouldnt feel completly comfortable showering with a gay man, efb in fairness to darced, I think hes right, would you happily shower with a straight man? (assuming you are female! not a regular so I dont know)

Probably gona get attacked for saying this... but anyway I know im right so il say it!
    The gay people here are being overly protective, for want of a better word, nobody is trying to offend anyone but yet ye are taking offense to almost everything!

These things cant be discussed without people being offended for fcuk all reason.. its a bit frustrating trying to read a thread that every argument is being shot down because a minority wrongly think they are being insulted, when they really arent!

Dont take it as insulting guys!!

Obviously mean no offense to ye by this post, but surely ill get attacked over it...

Owen_S wrote: »
    And you don't think that a certain percentage of the gym-going population is gay?

I know it is!

I wouldnt feel completly comfortable showering with a gay man, efb in fairness to darced, I think hes right, would you happily shower with a straight man? (assuming you are female! not a regular so I dont know)

Probably gona get attacked for saying this... but anyway I know im right so il say it!
    The gay people here are being overly protective, for want of a better word, nobody is trying to offend anyone but yet ye are taking offense to almost everything!

These things cant be discussed without people being offended for fcuk all reason.. its a bit frustrating trying to read a thread that every argument is being shot down because a minority wrongly think they are being insulted, when they really arent!

Obviously mean no offense to ye by this post, but surely ill get attacked over it...

I am not female.

Every gym I've been in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why on earth would it be an issue?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I am not female.

Sound, I have no idea of any posters here sorry! :pac:

So people should not be insulted by insulting posts??? :confused:

...shocking though this may be, they don't have gay detectors in the showers, or big metal hands that remove any detected. Just so ye know.

• Advertisement

So people should not be insulted by insulting posts??? :confused:

People are making reasonable arguments that are being wrongly seen as insulting or meaning to insult IMO!

they werent aware he was gay obviously

So what - They were comfortable showering before and nothing has changed

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

I am also confused by this. I have showered with gay teammates, nobody cares :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

smcgiff wrote: »
    What a load of bollix.

On that, obviously there would be no difference in their ability to play the game but there is little doubt that being an openly gay footballer would bring a lot of extra hassle on the guy. The gas chamber hissing that's done to Spurs is an example of what he would be in for but he would be there on his own. It's not the team or the supporters that are being jeered. It would be just him. Week in week out for his career. I'd like to believe that it wouldn't be allowed to go and that change would come but I don't think it would be overnight. There might be people that could take it but I don't for a second believe that everyone could.
    Madam_X wrote: »
    "Girly" does not offend me as a woman. And I don't think the OP is homophobic - maybe some of their choice of words aren't palatable to everyone, but I think people should cut them some slack.

I thought girly was a thing, I've heard girls describe themselves that way loads of times.

He'd see them with his big gay eyes.

You clean yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

People are making reasonable arguments that are being wrongly seen as insulting or meaning to insult IMO!

The op's original statement was homophobic and insulting, and he rightfully changed it, and I thanked him for doing so.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...shocking though this may be, they don't have gay detectors in the showers, or big metal hands that remove any detected. Just so ye know.

But you can tell the gay ones though, they're the ones wearing leopard print thongs while mincing around the changing room.

But you can tell the gay ones though, they're the ones wearing leopard print thongs while mincing around the changing room.

Aussie Bum speedos ftw

The op's original statement was homophobic and insulting, and he rightfully changed it, and I thanked him for doing so.

He clearly isnt homophobic though and he didnt mean to offend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i was going to have a shower
    but after reading this thread i don't feel comfortable:o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement