Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Footballer comes out and retires !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He clearly isnt homophobic though and he didnt mean to offend

I never said he was I said his post was, if he was homophobic he'd have refused to change it. He did so his words were wrong, not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

kfallon wrote: »
    How many openly gay current footballers do you know of?

All of Liverpool's players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

efb wrote: »
    I never said he was I said his post was, if he was homophobic he'd have refused to change it. He did so his words were wrong, not him.

I do not think my post was homophobic it was a joke prob did insult a few which was not my intention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Fair enough, thanks!

And btw, Rogers shouldnt have had to retire.. I speculate that it may have something to do with opposition fans, they can be pretty ruthless in football.. They would definetly abuse him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Showers are for cleaning - as efb just said don't be flattering yourselves that us gay men only go into showers to stare at your mickeys - guess what - like everyone else we use showers to clean ourselves.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

wadacrack wrote: »
    A football environment with teh fans abuse would need a very mentally strong person to be involved

A footballer needs to be mentally strong, gay or not, given the abuse that comes from the stands.

Personally I couldn't care less if someone is gay or not.

As for the showering, I also couldn't care less. Played plenty of sports, must have been a few gays lads there, no big deal.
    If I was to head into the gym's female shower section, there's plenty of women I wouldn't want to catch sight of, and I'd imagine it may well be the same for gay men/women.
    But I can understand it being uncomfortable for some people, and they should be respected too.

As for the footballer, I guess it's a good step in the right direction. Gets the ball rolling on the issue. Pity he felt he'd to leave the game though, but tough to ask him to take things another step.
    Hopefully it'll help others, then more can admit it and continue playing, and then it'll get to a stage when it's not required to 'come out' as nobody will give a crap about someones sexuality.

darced wrote: »

Oh ffs - how do you know everytime you shower in the gym or at your local pool there's no gay men there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

exactly..so it is definitely understandable than a man would prfer not to shower with a gay or straight man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I am also confused by this. I have showered with gay teammates, nobody cares :confused:
    your obviously are a very confident lad;)

A footballer needs to be mentally strong, gay or not, given the abuse that comes from the stands.

Personally I couldn't care less if someone is gay or not.

As for the showering, I also couldn't care less. Played plenty of sports, must have been a few gays lads there, no big deal.
    If I was to head into the gym's female shower section, there's plenty of women I wouldn't want to catch sight of, and I'd imagine it may well be the same for gay men/women.
    But I can understand it being uncomfortable for some people, and they should be respected too.

As for the footballer, I guess it's a good step in the right direction. Gets the ball rolling on the issue. Pity he felt he'd to leave the game though, but tough to ask him to take things another step.
    Hopefully it'll help others, then more can admit it and continue playing, and then it'll get to a stage when it's not required to 'come out' as nobody will give a crap about someones sexuality.

The thing is, it doesnt matter that you dont care, because alot do! (they shouldnt but they do)

And that would have made it difficult for him, and its not your normal crowd abuse, its something that is obviously very personal for him

MD1990 wrote: »
    your obviously are a very confident lad;)

Or he just has cop on to know that it's not a big issue at all and we really don't stare at everyones mickeys!

Terry Pratchet

exactly..so it is definitely understandable than a man would prfer not to shower with a gay or straight man

what men dont want communal showers- doesnt seem to be an issue at my gym

Haha true to be fair!

I wouldn't.

Right ok - I get it - You think every gay man on the planet wants to stare at your penis

Terry Pratchet

The thing is, it doesnt matter that you dont care, because alot do! (they shouldnt but they do)
    It matters to me.

And that would have made it difficult for him, and its not your normal crowd abuse, its something that is obviously very personal for him
    I know it would have been difficult, that's why I said I understood why he left. What way did you take up my statement?

• Advertisement

Right ok - I get it - You think every gay man on the planet wants to stare at your penis

its either tiny or massive :eek:

efb - do you stare at men in communal showers?

I certainly don't

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

well other [players would probably not feel comfortable showering with a gay man

This is the sh1t with some straight lads, so fuking afraid of a gay lad showering with them.

Don't flatter yourselves we're not fantasising about what would happen if you dropped a bar of soap, it's not an erotic place to be. We just want to get in, wash our bits and get out.

It's not like a straight lad let loose in a girl's locker room. I think that's what makes men uneasy, but thing is it's different, we have self control and we don't care.

Oh lord, I cant look at this thread anymore.. The smart and sarcastic replies are fcuking sickening.. just cos you dont agree doesnt mean you are allowed to try and belittle someone else..

Grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Ah jaysus!!! I said I'd shower with a lesbian though. Wouldn't be comfortable showering with the opposite sex, would be comfortable showering with the same sex, be they gay or straight.

• Advertisement

Fair enough - that's your problem

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ah jaysus!!! I said I'd shower with a lesbian though. Wouldn't be comfortable showering with the opposite sex, would be comfortable showering with the same sex, be they gay or straight.
    fuk off she's mine lol:P

efb - do you stare at men in communal showers?

I certainly don't

No. not unless its the scottish rugby dressing room and Sean Lamont's playing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    So was Graeme Le Saux, for nothing more than reading The Guardian - gives you an insight into the mindset of the average football fan.

Does it really, I'm an average football fan, or should that be a fan of average football - Shamrock Rovers - I occasionally take The Guardian, what's my mindset?
    Enlighten me please.

I wouldn't.

I can tell ur lying by the way u typed that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So that's 3 gay men in this thread saying they don't stare in the shower

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Showers are for cleaning - as efb just said don't be flattering yourselves that us gay men only go into showers to stare at your mickeys - guess what - like everyone else we use showers to clean ourselves.

Nobody's saying that but how many women would feel ok with showering in front of a straight man or vice versa?

I can tell ur lying by the way u typed that :rolleyes:

im really not. :cool:

Suas11 wrote: »
    Nobody's saying that but how many women would feel ok with showering in front of a straight man or vice versa?

Read 1zreds reply

Terry Pratchet

Fair enough - that's your problem

That's a bit unfair.
    If a women is uncomfortable with a man showering with her, has she also got a 'problem'?

im really not. :cool:

Unless it's Mr Lamont in there :p

Unless it's Mr Lamont in there :p

He's not a woman!

He's not a woman!

I know, but I thought you meant you fancied him.
    Apologies if I was mistaken.

Yes. Why not.

• Advertisement

Oh lord, I cant look at this thread anymore.. The smart and sarcastic replies are fcuking sickening.. just cos you dont agree doesnt mean you are allowed to try and belittle someone else..

Grow up

its sickening every reply i have left has been attacked by certain people . Peopel are very defensive about the simpliets things. Of course any men may not feel comfortable showering with gay men .Surely this is understandable

I know, but I thought you meant you fancied him.
    Apologies I was mistaken.

I mean if Sean Lamont stepped out of the shower EVERYONE would catch a glimpse

I mean if Sean Lamont stepped out of the shower EVERYONE would catch a glimpse
    Ahhhh... I see, my mistake.

This thread had me googling sean lamont- cheers ;)

Lol - now that you mention it....

Terry Pratchet

probably googling sean lamont shower pics:P

probably googling sean lamont shower pics:P

You'll be lucky to get away with that clearly not offensive joke around here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah, thing is I've been changing for training for years and showering at the gym for a long time as well. I'm so used to it that I don't even care. Like I said before, it's not an erotic setting and the sight of a soft dick isn't going to cause any stir down south. It's not what I'm thinking about, I just want to get in and get out about my business.

Gay guys have much more control because we're so used it, we don't think about sex when we're at a crowded urinal taking a piss or changing. It'd be totally different for a man in a woman's changing room though as it'd be a new experience and they'd just be thinking "sex". You're forgetting that that doesn't translate over to us, though.

I go to the gym quite regularly with my mates, they know I'm gay and they were a bit hesitant at first, but they know I don't give a fuk and it's just being naked to change and wash up. Nothing more.

It's insecurity that makes guys get so nervous about letting a gay lad in the showers with them, and they confirmed that. I respect them for not giving a fuk about it now, because it's not a big deal.

It makes me laugh how some straight guys think all of them will immediately get eyed up. Half of them shouldn't flatter their hole in that regard tbh.

And that's all I have to say on that. You can't just transale what you do and assume it applies to gay men as well without any input from them. You've been told by a few now that that's not the case, so you have your answer.

• Advertisement

Peopel are very defensive about the simpliets things.
    I think you've been a bit harshly treated, but from the other side it's probably a tough thing to be gay (probably more-so growing up gay) when they get abuse or treated poorly/differently for it.

Worked with a gay lad before in an office licence. He was lucky he didn't have a mental breakdown from the abuse he got in school. He and I used to have great banter; having a laugh at each other from the other side of the fence. But we both knew it was just a laugh, so no offense was ever taken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement