Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Footballer comes out and retires !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

wadacrack wrote: »
    probably googling sean lamont shower pics:P

Dieux de Stade - have the calendars ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Eh, I think the better comparison would be straight females showering with lesbians.
    well other [players would probably not feel comfortable showering with a gay man

I'm not gay, and I lived with a lesbian couple for a few months, and didn't have a problem walking around the apartment in a towel, no bra, etc.

Also, it's interesting that there aren't openly gay NBA players whereas there are lots of openly gay WNBA players.

Overall I think (and this is just my impression) that women are far less alarmed by the prospect of being in close, sometimes naked proximity to gay people of the same sex than men are.

its sickening every reply i have left has been attacked by certain people . Peopel are very defensive about the simpliets things. Of course any men may not feel comfortable showering with gay men .Surely this is understandable

Do you not see how silly and paranoid many of these comments sound though? "Showering with gay men - OMG!!!!" - you make it sound like you will be standing there terrified under the lone spigot while a pack of naked gay men armed with loofahs and soap forms a circle around you. Most people who go to the gym - regardless of sexual orientation - just want to get clean, change, and go on with their day after a workout, not ogle other people in the locker room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Lol - now that you mention it....

Hope your screen's big enough, mine's only 13"- still scrolling... :D

• Advertisement

And this stat is taken from???

you asked people? Or just how you think they'd feel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

And I'd tell you to cop the fuk on to yourself you're that self conscious and insecure to have a gay guy that really couldn't give a feck about you in the same shower with you. You wouldn't even know they're there and you've probably showered with many and you didn't even notice.
    Nah, I'm the expert on what gay guys think between us if all you're doing is assuming things to yourself. Rest assured the majority of us don't give a fuk and just want to wash up and go.

And how are your gay friends and relations different? Do they say, "no, I won't shower with you because I'd be too distracted by checking your cock out". Because I'd call BS on them saying so because you're just making stuff up to suit your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I really like IZred's contribution to the thread, you sound like a sensible young man, but if I am to be honest,I would have to say that I would be uncomfortable in the shower situation,my innate conservatism perhaps.Please don't take this as something to attack about,I'm just trying to be painfully honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

1ZRed wrote: »
    And I'd tell you to cop the fuk on to yourself you're that self conscious and insecure to have a gay guy that really couldn't give a feck about you in the same shower with you. You wouldn't even know they're there and you've probably showered with many and you didn't even notice.

Nah, I'm the expert on what gay guys think between us if all you're doing is assuming things to yourself. Rest assured the majority of us don't give a fuk and just want to wash up and go.

And how are your gay friends and relations different? Do they say, "no, I won't shower with you because I'd be too distracted by checking your cock out". Because I'd call BS on them saying so because you're just making stuff up to suit your argument.

well maybe a person would just feel uncomfortable showering with a gay man, it has nothin to do with checking them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

crockholm wrote: »
    I really like IZred's contribution to the thread, you sound like a sensible young man, but if I am to be honest,I would have to say that I would be uncomfortable in the shower situation,my innate conservatism perhaps.Please don't take this as something to attack about,I'm just trying to be painfully honest

Brace yourself for an attack

If you are an athlete and your teammate is gay, is their sexual orientation more important than their skill on the field/court/pitch? Because that is ostensibly the point of this thread. I played sports in high school and college, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't care if I had gay teammates (and I did, but didn't know it at the time) - I would want good teammates. And being a good teammate has nothing to do with who a person sleeps with when they go home at night.

If you are an Average Joe at the gym, given that gay people don't walk around with I'M GAY tattooed on their foreheads, the reality is that you have quite likely showered and/or changed in front of a gay man. I am assuming that you (and most people who are uncomfortable with the idea) have survived this experience. If you are really that paranoid about sharing shower facilities with gay men, then you should probably not shower outside of your own home.

bad cross section of cliches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Given your reaction on here, they're probably doing it to wreck your head.

OK, but don't you know straight men who are the same way? Some men are just pigs, regardless of sexual orientation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So your gay friends and relations are pervs who stare in communal showers?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nodin wrote: »
    Given your reaction on here, they're probably doing it to wreck your head.

Wow, anything but say 'fair enough you are right' to the lad

• Advertisement

....because odds are he's talking out his ass.

3 of us in this discussion are gay men and have proved him wrong!!!!!
    There's a load of other straight lads who said their gay mates have never tried it on in the shower or perved on them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nodin wrote: »
    ....because odds are he's talking out his ass.

you are giving a great impression of yourself...

carry on, while your gay friends attack my post for no reason

3 of us in this discussion are gay men and have proved him wrong!!!!!

But hes right about his own friends!!!!!!!!!! Thats who hes talking about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

And I'd tell you to cop the fuk on to yourself
    That's very unfair.
    If someone is uncomfortable with it, you don't need to verbally attack them because they are different to you.
    It's an issue for some people who are genuinely uncomfortable with it, and the "cop the fuk on to yourself" approach isn't going to help change it.

Unless - and this might be a shock - these friends are actually of the imaginary variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

I'm straight... and I think you're being an ignorant bollix aswell.

EDIT:
    while your gay friends attack my post for no reason
    You do realise that not all gay people are friends with each other due to similar sexual orientation - the same way you aren't friends with every straight fella.

In what way is he right?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

full_irish wrote: »
    I'm straight... and I think you're being an ignorant bollix aswell.

EDIT:
    You do realise that not all gay people are friends with each other due to similar sexual orientation - the same way you aren't friends with every straight fella.

Woah, arent you a lovely person, thanks for the insult

I wouldnt feel completly comfortable showering with a gay man, efb in fairness to darced, I think hes right, would you happily shower with a straight man? (assuming you are female! not a regular so I dont know)

But if you go to the gym regularly, you probably have unknowingly shared shower facilities with a gay man - that is the point that people are trying to make. You've clearly survived this experience without being ogled or molested, so where is all of the paranoia coming from? :confused:
    IProbably gona get attacked for saying this... but anyway I know im right so il say it!
    The gay people here are being overly protective, for want of a better word, nobody is trying to offend anyone but yet ye are taking offense to almost everything!

It's not just gay people who think that some of the posts on this thread are/were insulting to gays and/or overly paranoid.

Posts are being attacked (or perhaps belittled is the more appropriate word) because they are ridiculous.

In what way is he right?

Cos hes talking about his personal experiences with his friends..

Not about you or anyone else!

What do you know about his personal experiences that allows you to say hes not right in fairness..

I completely understand that and the lads were the same. Of all the stuff we end up talking out it's always after a few pints, but what it boiled down to was them translating what they'd do in a woman's locker room onto what a gay guy would do, which I've said is not the case.

It was also that they just weren't used to it and they were reminded of my sexuality and were made to feel self conscious, whereas they wouldn't have before and it was a non issue. They copped on themselves very quickly though and saw I'd no interest whatsoever in checking them out and I'm still the same lad that slags the absolute piss out of them. More so after that considering they gave me such ammo to call them pussyboys and that they were what they ate :pac:

But it's just getting used to it, it's not something to get worked up about, I understand it could be uncomfortable but you're honestly thinking the worst case scenario in your heads'.

It's going to get more common that you're *aware* of the gay guy you're showering beside as he'll be comfortable enough to be out, whereas before he was always there, but just closeted, so try not to treat him any differently because he's not thinking such sexy things as you'd think.

There's nothing worse than being made to feel different and get treated differently for no real reason, though I understand you could feel uncomfortable, but that attitude will change with time eventually, I hope, and it'll be seen as a non-issue, because it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Woah, arent you a lovely person, thanks for the insult

Insult?! Well, I never... all I've done is use the term 'bollix' as an endearing term and linked my happens to be my favourite youtube clip for shits and giggles...:rolleyes:

... although now that you mention it, the insult which you seem to have perceived is a fairly good summary. *patronising pat on the head*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

****in hell! A lot of commotion in this thread. I'll probably get attacked too but i'm goin to try an explain my feelings on this.

Originally i thought as a straight man i'd be uncomfortable showering with a gay man because if i was in an all female shower i'd be checking them out.

Until i read this
    Gay guys have much more control because we're so used it, we don't think about sex when we're at a crowded urinal taking a piss or changing. It'd be totally different for a man in a woman's changing room though as it'd be a new experience and they'd just be thinking "sex". You're forgetting that that doesn't translate over to us, though.

And to be honest it makes a lot of sense. So much so that i actually don't think showering with a gay man would bother me now.

Thank you 1Zred for actually taking the time to explain it.

Cos hes talking about his personal experiences with his friends..

Not about you or anyone else!

What do you know about his personal experiences that allows you to say hes not right in fairness..

I get it .. So his friends/relations fancy people on the street therefore they perve on everyone in communal showers therefore all gay men perve on all straight men in communal showers

Terry Pratchet

The impasse we are at now,far from the OP thread, is "are you comfortable showering with a gay man",many would still be uncomfortable,myself included, but using it to attack other posters is ridiculous,think back 20 years ago, and this forum would probably be discussing how best to beat a gay man in the shower.

Dinosaurs like me are dying out. You've won

I get it .. So his friends/relations fancy people on the street therefore they perve on everyone in communal showers therefore all gay men perve on all straight men in communal showers

Sorry think you are missing my point! Im not arguing that hes right in that sense, obviously all arent the same..

Im saying that posters dont have any right to say hes talking out his behind and that hes making up imaginary friends when they dont know..

Ya get me?

I completely understand that and the lads were the same. Of all the stuff we end up talking out it's always after a few pints, but what it boiled down to was them translating what they'd do in a woman's locker room onto what a gay guy would do, which I've said is not the case.

It was also that they just weren't used to it and they were reminded of my sexuality and were made to feel self conscious, whereas they wouldn't have before and it was a non issue. They copped on themselves very quickly though and saw I'd no interest whatsoever in checking them out and I'm still the same lad that slags the absolute piss out of them. More so after that considering they gave me such ammo to call them pussyboys and that they were what they ate :pac:

But it's just getting used to it, it's not something to get worked up about, I understand it could be uncomfortable but you're honestly thinking the worst case scenario in your heads'.

It's going to get more common that you're *aware* of the gay guy you're showering beside as he'll be comfortable enough to be out, whereas before he was always there, but just closeted, so try not to treat him any differently because he's not thinking such sexy things as you'd think.

There's nothing worse than being made to feel different and get treated differently for no real reason, though I understand you could feel uncomfortable, but that attitude will change with time eventually, I hope, and it'll be seen as a non-issue, because it is.

OK, a more pertinent question that makes you more or less of a man in my eyes,Forward or Back? :)

• Advertisement

full_irish wrote: »
    Insult?! Well, I never... all I've done is use the term 'bollix' as an endearing term and linked my happens to be my favourite youtube clip for shits and giggles...:rolleyes:

... although now that you mention it, the insult which you seem to have perceived is a fairly good summary. *patronising pat on the head*

Haha please continue trying to belittle me, keep showing us all the kind of person you are

Cungi wrote: »
    ****in hell! A lot of commotion in this thread. I'll probably get attacked too but i'm goin to try an explain my feelings on this.

Originally i thought as a straight man i'd be uncomfortable showering with a gay man because if i was in an all female shower i'd be checking them out.

Until i read this

And to be honest it makes a lot of sense. So much so that i actually don't think showering with a gay man would bother me now.

Thank you 1Zred for actually taking the time to explain it.
    Well good to know I've done some good :P but that's exactly how the lads thought as well until it clicked in their heads after I explained it to them and they saw for themselves. It was a big "ohhhh" moment for them and they didn't give a feck about anymore and they'd nothing much to be insecure or worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Well good to know I've done some good :P but that's exactly how the lads thought as well until it clicked in their heads after I explained it to them and they saw for themselves. It was a big "ohhhh" moment for them and they didn't give a feck about anymore and they'd nothing much to be insecure or worried about.

I'll hold up my hand and admit that it was a realisation for me. As you say it "clicked" in my head.
    Unfortunately i think this point might be lost on a lot of people because this thread has descended into a bitchfest

Yeah and how many straight lads to the same in the street. They don't have any social repercussions to make them hide it either like a gay guy might.

So this is getting back to the root of it again, you're thinking because that's how they behave on the street that automatically that that's how they will behave in the showers? Fairly big presumption tbh, when I'd say they'd tone it down greatly in the reality outside of your 'worst case scenarios'.

And while you're talking about checking people out and how we're so perfect, hardly, the amount of guys that give a peak at the urinals in unreal. I have no doubt in believing that they're straight, and just naturally having a peak, but I never, ever do that because I've no interest. I'm fairly well informed on the male anatomy from other sources so I've no need to even bother looking there.

Do you think that every gay guy a going to stare at your dick the whole way through or will he be able to differenciate between an erotic setting with a man -ie. about to have sex, or a non erotic scene - a guy just going about his business, where that's showering or taking a piss?

I've already said it a fair few times by now, gay guys have learned to differenciate very well between the two because we've grown up doing it and we're so used to doing so. Straight guys have not had that luxury so they would most likely run into problems in a woman's changing room.

Again, the point stands you just can't pass off what you would do in a woman's changing room to what a gay guy would - even of it seems comparable to you.

OK, a more pertinent question that makes you more or less of a man in my eyes,Forward or Back? :)

Not that it makes a difference, and I'm thinking you mean 'top or bottom', but I'm a top.

You'd think that'd make me more of a man but the amount of masculine and built athletic lad's lads that are into taking it would surprise you. The way they see it, they're getting the bets deal. They're having their prostate stimulated and getting off manually so they end up having the best, most intense orgasm a man could have.

But that's besides the point and off topic.

I will say though that two men is very different and incompatible to a man and a women, regardless of what you might think. That's another thing that brings about a "Ohhh, right. I get it now" reaction from lads when I explain it, but that'd be for another thread it'd say :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

This thread won't last much longer.

Not that it makes a difference, and I'm thinking you mean 'top or bottom', but I'm a top.

You'd think that'd make me more of a man but the amount of masculine and built athletic lad's lads that are into taking it would surprise you. The way they see it, they're getting the bets deal. They're having their prostate stimulated and getting off manually so they end up having the best, most intense orgasm a man could have.

But that's besides the point and off topic.

I will say though that two men is very different and incompatible to a man and a women, regardless of what you might think. That's another thing that brings about a "Ohhh, right. I get it now" reaction from lads when I explain it, but that'd be for another thread it'd say :P

no jeebus creebus!!! i meant are you a forward or a back when you play rugby

no jeebus creebus!!! i meant are you a forward or a back when you play rugby

Ah right, back! :P I'm a back for every sport I play.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement