Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Footballer comes out and retires !!

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

1ZRed wrote: »
    Ah right, back! :P I'm a back for every sport I play.

Sure what would ye lads be needing a shower for when the forwards are the only ones with a bit o muck and sweat on em after ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

crockholm wrote: »
    Sure what would ye lads be needing a shower for when the forwards are the only ones with a bit o muck and sweat on em after ;)

Pfft. Light weight forwards.. and the way we play you'd fecking be dirty anyway :pac:

Sure half the fun in taking half the other team down and I've been described as a cheetah taking down his prey :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

lazygal wrote: »
    So you've decided to reinforce the stereotype and imply 'girly' is an insult? Nice. Well done on offending women and gay men. Why did you use a female term to make a 'joke' about a gay man? Is there something inferior about women who play sports?

jeez, relax.

Pfft. Light weight forwards.. and the way we play you'd fecking be dirty anyway :pac:

Sure half the fun in taking half the other team down and I've been described as a cheetah taking down his prey :p

Gets cold out in the wings doesn't it:D

Gets cold out in the wings doesn't it:D

Funny that you'll always spot me in the thick of the action, there's no cool down as far as I'm concerned :P

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

Loads more, they just remain closeted because soccer is a seriously homophobic sport.

Not sure if retiring right after sends the best message in trying to tackle it but it's his call

How is soccer a homophobic sport, don't they play with balls all day, and aren't some players better at being drama queens when someone tips them. How can you say it's homophobic, it worse than a dancing competition, where people will dance on broken limbs.

Oh yeah sorry I forgot about the fans, a group of guys watch guys play a sport at physical fitness, without really damaging themselves, how can you call this sport homophobic.

It's got the recipe for a huge gang bang of gayness, rugby is even more so.

But your right it isn't a gay sport, most gay people I know have no interest in it, same as me, I really obviously missing some thing here.

Goldenlight read on, sweetheart, the mystery will become clear. :D

Funny that you'll always spot me in the thick of the action, there's no cool down as far as I'm concerned :P

So, running up to congratulate a forward for doing the real work ;):D

How is soccer a homophobic sport, don't they play with balls all day, and aren't some players better at being drama queens when someone tips them. How can you say it's homophobic, it worse than a dancing competition, where people will dance on broken limbs.

Oh yeah sorry I forgot about the fans, a group of guys watch guys play a sport at physical fitness, without really damaging themselves, how can you call this sport homophobic.

It's got the recipe for a huge gang bang of gayness, rugby is even more so.

But your right it isn't a gay sport, most gay people I know have no interest in it, same as me, I really obviously missing some thing here.

Goldenlight read on, sweetheart, the mystery will become clear. :D

Take away the bottle and try again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

full_irish wrote: »
    I'm straight... and I think you're being an ignorant bollix aswell.

EDIT:
    You do realise that not all gay people are friends with each other due to similar sexual orientation - the same way you aren't friends with every straight fella.

Early bath for you.

Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

ZRed wrote: »
    Yeah and how many straight lads to the same in the street. They don't have any social repercussions to make them hide it either like a gay guy might.

So this is getting back to the root of it again, you're thinking because that's how they behave on the street that automatically that that's how they will behave in the showers? Fairly big presumption tbh, when I'd say they'd tone it down greatly in the reality outside of your 'worst case scenarios'.

And while you're talking about checking people out and how we're so perfect, hardly, the amount of guys that give a peak at the urinals in unreal. I have no doubt in believing that they're straight, and just naturally having a peak, but I never, ever do that because I've no interest. I'm fairly well informed on the male anatomy from other sources so I've no need to even bother looking there.

Do you think that every gay guy a going to stare at your dick the whole way through or will he be able to differenciate between an erotic setting with a man -ie. about to have sex, or a non erotic scene - a guy just going about his business, where that's showering or taking a piss?

I've already said it a fair few times by now, gay guys have learned to differenciate very well between the two because we've grown up doing it and we're so used to doing so. Straight guys have not had that luxury so they would most likely run into problems in a woman's changing room.

Again, the point stands you just can't pass off what you would do in a woman's changing room to what a gay guy would - even of it seems comparable to you.

Funny how so many posters get shot down for branding all gay men the same, yet you feel you can pronounce that all gay men feel the same way as you regarding showering.

I feel it may be entirely reasonable for a straight man to be uncomfortable showering with a gay teammate, he may have reason to believe that team mate fancies him, or know that hes a sleaze. (Not saying all gay guys are, but a certain % will be) In that scenario its no different imo than a woman being told to shower naked with a male work colleague.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Early bath for you.

Banned.

What are you doing up at this hour of the morning? :)

ceegee wrote: »
    Funny how so many posters get shot down for branding all gay men the same, yet you feel you can pronounce that all gay men feel the same way as you regarding showering.

I feel it may be entirely reasonable for a straight man to be uncomfortable showering with a gay teammate, he may have reason to believe that team mate fancies him, or know that hes a sleaze. (Not saying all gay guys are, but a certain % will be) In that scenario its no different imo than a woman being told to shower naked with a male work colleague.

In fairness you need to go back to PE class with that, I don't share or never have since secondary school showered in the male changing room, but I was forced to then, I don't now cause I'm female. I'm transgendered, as an adult you have a choice where to shower, most people as children didn't.

If it's so wrong for you to clean your body after a work out, while worrying about someone perving on you don't do it, drive home and shower. Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Graeme Le Saux and Sol Campbell got homophobic grief for not being run of the mill boring 'jock' footballers and having a few cerebral interests beyond the game.

It makes you wonder why anything cerebral such as literature or the high arts gets treated as suspect, not all gays are necessarily super intelligent Stephen Fry types, many of them are vacuous bores particularly the uber camp party animal types.

Blokes who are not macho get similar homophobic jibes, when the irony is if you walked into certain bars or clubs in San Francisco or Brighton it would be full of shaven headed bodybuilders with tattoos which is uncannily like the types of people who become football hooligans or nightclub doormen.

I can't say that all men feel the same but absolutely all the gay men I've met have said the same, it isn't a big deal and they're not going to get aroused by the situation.

Well that's just you assuming they might fancy you when in actual fact that mightn't be the case at all, but you don't feel comfortable with it 'just in case' that's how it actually is.

I don't know why the woman showering with other men thing keeps coming up. Gay men and straight men are just that, men. We've all grown up changing after training, using the same bathrooms and even the same communal showers. We're not going to spring a horn and start **** off over the sight of you and you're not going to get a pervy stare down either. Any guy with any sense and decency wouldn't do that and that only happens in a straight lad's worst fantasy -which isn't reality.

I'm sick of repeating it, we've control in those situations because we're so used to them and they are in no ways sexual. When you bring up the thing with women you wouldn't have it because you'd most likely get turned on by it, we don't. We're not thinking sex like a man would in a woman's changing from, so we wouldn't get an erection. We'd have some control of ourselves. It's not hard to.

Sure a guy might check another out but that's it, only a passing glance. No harm done and I fail to see the big deal. I can understand being uncomfortable but it's just an insecurity and and uneasiness about the possibility of a man who likes other men seeing you naked. It's your insecurity, and chances are, it's already happened to you.

What are you doing up at this hour of the morning? :)

Waiting.

• Advertisement

So, running up to congratulate a forward for doing the real work ;):D
    You're a tough one to win over, I'll give you that. No talk of it working the other way at all and needing to protect the line :p

You're a tough one to win over, I'll give you that. No talk of it working the other way at all and needing to protect the line :p

Yep after all it's a team sport, he really should :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

I can't say that all men feel the same but absolutely all the gay men I've met have said the same, it isn't a big deal and they're not going to get aroused by the situation.
    Well that's just you assuming they might fancy you when in actual fact that mightn't be the case at all, but you don't feel comfortable with it 'just in case' that's how it actually is.

I don't know why the woman showering with other men thing keeps coming up. Gay men and straight men are just that, men. We've all grown up changing after training, using the same bathrooms and even the same communal showers. We're not going to spring a horn and start **** off over the sight of you and you're not going to get a pervy stare down either. Any guy with any sense and decency wouldn't do that and that only happens in a straight lad's worst fantasy -which isn't reality.

I'm sick of repeating it, we've control in those situations because we're so used to them and they are in no ways sexual. When you bring up the thing with women you wouldn't have it because you'd most likely get turned on by it, we don't. We're not thinking sex like a man would in a woman's changing from, so we wouldn't get an erection. We'd have some control of ourselves. It's not hard to.

Sure a guy might check another out but that's it, only a passing glance. No harm done and I fail to see the big deal. I can understand being uncomfortable but it's just an insecurity and and uneasiness about the possibility of a man who likes other men seeing you naked. It's your insecurity, and chances are, it's already happened to you.

Again you use the term "we", just because you behave appropriately doesnt meen all gay men will, just as I cant say all straight men would behave as I would.

Personally Im not bothered about who I shower with in a gym etc, I choose to be there and am surrounded primarily by strangers. the issue I was talking about is if its ok for someone not to feel comfortable showering with a specific individual who may fancy them in the workplace (as a pro football changing room is). And if they feel this way should they be condemned for it? You say a "passing glance" is no big deal, but when it occurs at work while you get changed surely it enters the realm of workplace sexual harrassment

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Waiting.
    the futility of it all. go away to bed and have a nice sleep:)

Again you use the term "we", just because you behave appropriately doesnt meen all gay men will, just as I cant say all straight men would behave as I would.

Personally Im not bothered about who I shower with in a gym etc, I choose to be there and am surrounded primarily by strangers. the issue I was talking about is if its ok for someone not to feel comfortable showering with a specific individual who may fancy them in the workplace (as a pro football changing room is). And if they feel this way should they be condemned for it?

Nope your died right, but in general that person has a choice, you never have to shower with anyone if you don't want to, maybe the thing is that person isn't comfortable to show their naked body yet, that is an adult descision to make regardless of gender or sexuality.

I'm getting the feeling your worrying to much about the showers, it took me till I was 24 to pee infront of other men, and I Know for a fact other guys hetro/gay/trans had exactly the same problem, not cause they where aroused but because weren't who they should be.

But back to your feelings in the shower, and someone perving on you, lets say 1 in 20 is a gay person, most times as a male in a gym/swimming pool, their was more than 20 people their, so everytime you go to the gym even as a child did you ever see anyone salut you?

The reason I ask that is because I am and still would be very uncomfortable in any particular changing room (I had to give up my love of swimming because of it) but no matter what changing room I me, I never felt anyone was aroused by looking at me or anyone else within that changing room, what really freaked me out was that it appeared so bloody normal, when it felt so abnormal to me. :)

And all those stats go for the female changing room too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I can't see why some player can't just come out. It is the fear of abuse that is holding the game back. Yes they will get abused by a minority of idiots but they will also get a lot of praise. I remember reading somewhere that some footballer said that this would never happen due to the other players been made uncomfortable in the dressing room. Load of nonsense if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

Loads more, they just remain closeted because soccer is a seriously homophobic sport.

Not sure if retiring right after sends the best message in trying to tackle it but it's his call

Unfortunately it is not just soccer. A lot of sports are. Luckily I think society at large is becoming more tolerant of everyone, regardless of who you prefer to have night time activities with. I'm hoping when I have kids it is a non issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

This is really going to reinforce American attitudes towards "soccer".

yes it's seen as a womans game there, so generally a bit suspect a man would wish to play it his teammates were probably right behind him anyhow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

Reading through the comments it seems like some people freak out about the shower thing. I don't understand it, if you are a straight man you do not want to have sex with another man, just as you don't want to have sex with a woman you deem 'unattractive'. Last time I checked 99.999999999% of sex is consensual. 2 people agree to have sex. If you have a gay team mate that fancies you, you are free to not have sex with him, just as you are free to not have sex with an 'unattractive' girl. Has no guy ever had a female friend come on to him that he didn't want to bone? It is not a big deal...just move on.

Chances are that unless you are Brad Pitt your gay team mate does not fancy you, just as every straight girl in a bar does not fancy you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Must have been a real struggle for him to come out, admitting retirement is never easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

wadacrack wrote: »
    well maybe a person would just feel uncomfortable showering with a gay man, it has nothin to do with checking them out.
    That's so irrational, if you didn't know they were gay you wouldn't know the difference. Stop making out all homosexuals to be predators or something.

Man, some people commenting in this thread really need an education. People are people, not their sexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

This is really going to reinforce American attitudes towards "soccer".

Not realy

Linebacker Brandon Ajanbadejo is constantly lobbying for same sex marraige.

He's not a nobody, he won the Superbowl three weeks ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm sure I have taken showers with gay people over the years and just didn't know it.

I only know 1 gay guy in real life but it was always obvious that he was gay because of the way he talks in the high pitched voice and his walk as well.

We worked in the same place but he would never mix much with the other lads and always hung around with women during tea breaks and on work nights out. Don't know why because noone ever gave him any hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Jacobian Transformation

Cydoniac wrote: »
    That's so irrational, if you didn't know they were gay you wouldn't know the difference. Stop making out all homosexuals to be predators or something.

Man, some people commenting in this thread really need an education. People are people, not their sexuality.

Do you think showers should be mixed gender? You can apply a similar argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Do you think showers should be mixed gender? You can apply a similar argument.
    Not really, as 1ZRed already explained earlier
    I've already said it a fair few times by now, gay guys have learned to differenciate very well between the two because we've grown up doing it and we're so used to doing so. Straight guys have not had that luxury so they would most likely run into problems in a woman's changing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Jesus, just saw the headline on aertel "ROGERS COMES OUT AS GAY AND RETIRES" and thought Christ the Liverpool manager has had enough! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Gays playing sport??? No chance!!!
    Shur where would they get the energy from,with all the shenanigans they get up to?:pac:

I'm closing this for a while so I can look through it and I will be banning people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement