Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Arklow

Options
  • 15-02-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Quick question about Saorview:

I'm not using it, but a friend is. I have no experience with saorview, hence this (maybe) newbie question :-)

She has an LG 32" LCD TV, with built in receiver. This is hooked up, to a fairly simple indoors antenna. She does get 5 channels.... from memory:

RTE1
    RTE2
    TG4
    3e
    'another one'

I thought she should be able to get more channels with saorview, unless I'm mistaken, I would at least expect the BBC channels to be there.

Is this a simple matter of getting a better antenna, antenna in a different place, etc.

Any help appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/

No UK channels on Saorview. I believe in Arklow you may be able to receive the UK channels from Wales with the correct outdoor aerial, someone in the Arklow area may be able to post more specific information on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

In Arklow,depending on where you are in the town,you'd get uk freeview light from Arfon or the full uk freeview service from preseli,both in wales.You'd probably just need the one group b aerial and masthead amp if you are near enough the saorview arklow transmitter which is up in the knockenrahan industrial estate behind carysfort national school.
    Group B's in parts of the town are bringing in arklow on its own and arklow plus mt leinster.

This would give you all the irish channels and the uk channells on the one programme guide on that tv.
    You'll have the Uk channells 99% of the time,they sometimes drop out in fog but not rain.
    I can't remember the last time that happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Willby

whitebriar wrote: »
    In Arklow,depending on where you are in the town,you'd get uk freeview light from Arfon or the full uk freeview service from preseli,both in wales.You'd probably just need the one group b aerial and masthead amp if you are near enough the saorview arklow transmitter which is up in the knockenrahan industrial estate behind carysfort national school.
    Group B's in parts of the town are bringing in arklow on its own and arklow plus mt leinster.

This would give you all the irish channels and the uk channells on the one programme guide on that tv.
    You'll have the Uk channells 99% of the time,they sometimes drop out in fog but not rain.
    I can't remember the last time that happened to me.
    Hi Whitebriar,
    Some in Wicklow Town also pick up Freeview from Arfon. A friend who is one of the lucky ones tells me that when he loses signal it is usually only the HD channels. Is this your experience?. He only has a Grid aerial and I intend replacing it soon for him with a group B hi gain yagi to improve signal strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Willby wrote: »
    Hi Whitebriar,
    Some in Wicklow Town also pick up Freeview from Arfon. A friend who is one of the lucky ones tells me that when he loses signal it is usually only the HD channels. Is this your experience?. He only has a Grid aerial and I intend replacing it soon for him with a group B hi gain yagi to improve signal strength.
    Yes that would give a fair improvement.
    Make sure its vertically polarised,and if you don't have a meter,have someone looking at the signal bar on the tv so as you can point the aerial at its best.

Co channel interference from another transmitter in the UK or Ireland during high pressure weather(which causes far away signals to bounce over the horizon a long distance from where they usually go-or tropospheric ducting as its called) can also cause drop outs,even on saorview.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Spete wrote: »
    Quick question about Saorview:

I'm not using it, but a friend is. I have no experience with saorview, hence this (maybe) newbie question :-)

She has an LG 32" LCD TV, with built in receiver. This is hooked up, to a fairly simple indoors antenna. She does get 5 channels.... from memory:

RTE1
    RTE2
    TG4
    3e
    'another one'

I thought she should be able to get more channels with saorview, unless I'm mistaken, I would at least expect the BBC channels to be there.

Is this a simple matter of getting a better antenna, antenna in a different place, etc.

Any help appreciated...

@Spete If your friend wants Irish and UK channels. She would need to get an installer in to give her some options that's available to her in Arklow.
    In my opinion a good future proof system would be an outdoor aerial for Irish TV and a good quality aluminum or fiberglass satellite dish with a branded Freesat receiver for UK TV

She could try the local TV shops

http://www.saorview.ie/equipment/find-a-retailer/?county=32&town=Arklow&btsumbit=Search#

or 1 of the 3 trade bodies should be able to help her with what she wants.

http://www.cai.org.uk/

http://www.isaa.tv/features.php?county=wicklow

http://www.nationalguild.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=140#wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Spete

Thanks all for the replies. I now have some pointers and will give her the info provided. I'll let her make up her mind :-)

Advertisement