Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Maryborough Hill Layout

Options
  • 15-02-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Its a utter & blatant disgrace that the space on the road for cars is reduced by cyclelanes, bus stop and the narrowing of the entrances to Maryborough Estate, yet the price of road tax goes up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Its a utter & blatant disgrace that the space on the road for cars is reduced by cyclelanes, bus stop and the narrowing of the entrances to Maryborough Estate, yet the price of road tax goes up.

Why don't you sell your car and buy a bike so, and occasionally use the bus. You'd be delighted then that you have more facilites and no more "road tax", which doesn't exist in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Dead right. Only people who pay road tax should be allowed use roads - they shoud not even be allowed as passengers. Ban buses, cyclists, pedestrians, etc. bloody kids buggys out in public without paying tax. Argh.

Remove all the footpaths too - let the users buy their own transport infrastructure if they want it that much.

And what's the deal with people walking in parks without paying a grass tax or breathing without paying air tax.

And children. Its a utter & blatant disgrace that the space on the planet is reduced yet our taxes go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

It's motor tax, not road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As soon as you said road tax i stopped listening. Its motor tax a tax on vehicles with a motor.

And lump it or like it cork has a very low rate of people cycling to work etc, the best way to improve that is by improving the infrastructure for cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

besides the 'motor tax' comment, you have a fair point, they have made it more narrow in parts that needed widening, what good is a cycle lane when cars have to use it to avoid a bus taking off the side of their car, because their lane is too narrow for even a large car to fit in?

they have added more twists to the road and abnormally wide footpaths????

why they couldn't narrow that extra large footpath to make a proper cycle lane instead of a gutter run i don't know, and maybe clear some trees to give the other side a proper sized lane.

and the traffic lights??? what is the point of those? at the entrance of the maryborough woods estate/hotel maybe but there???

who the hell plans these things its rubbish....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I imagine it is all traffic calming measures - intended to slow traffic down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The cycle lanes on Maryborough Hill and other places around town are a complete waste of time & money. They might fulfil some report that says we must have x kilometres of cycle lane but they don't function well as cycle lanes.

The next time you drive up Maryborough Hill have a look at the car in front of you, they spend most of the time in the cycle lane! Especially the sections where the road bends to the left. The most dangerous example of a cycle lane on a left bend is the one on South Terrace near the Fiat garage & the College of Commerce brown building. The painted line for the cycle lane may as well not be there. In fact I would argue that it is more dangerous that the cycle lane paint is there in this instance as it gives a false sense of security to a cyclist, they might assume that other road users will take heed of the existence of the cycle lane. I've been knocked off my bike in a cycle lane (on Model Farm Road) & and have had countless incidences where drivers cut into the cycle lane in front of me to get around a vehicle turning right. If we are going to the bother of putting them in at least design them properly with protection for the cyclist. Kerbing or a ridge on the interface with the road to deter cars from entering is one idea.

The surface on most cycle lanes is usually very rough, the Carrigrohane or Model Farm Road are typical examples, you need a mountain bike to deal with the rough terrain on these so called cycle lanes. The other thing is they never maintain the cycle lanes after they are installed, its always where all the rubbish, glass & after storms its also where the mud & debris gathers. Again, why bother with them if its only a peace meal approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The surface on most cycle lanes is usually very rough, the Carrigrohane or Model Farm Road are typical examples, you need a mountain bike to deal with the rough terrain on these so called cycle lanes. The other thing is they never maintain the cycle lanes after they are installed, its always where all the rubbish, glass & after storms its also where the mud & debris gathers. Again, why bother with them if its only a peace meal approach?
    your quite right on this point , i cycle to CIT most days and the cycle lanes are a disgrace.

Case in point follow the cycle lane from sarsfield rd roundabout to the wilton roundabout.

The cycle lane starts by the ESB depot as footpath/cyclelane, if you stay on it you get caught by the entrance to wilton where 1. There are poles in the middle of the lane . 2. You must use the pedestrian lights to cross which take an age to change.
    Then once your past that wilton entrance the cycle lane inexplicably disappears only to reapppear on the road outside the hospital side ....... theres no continuity to the cycle lane its ridiculous. All the cycle lanes in that area disappear/ reappear at will and some force you onto pedestrain foothpaths etc when they end abruptly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

The cycle lanes on Maryborough Hill and other places around town are a complete waste of time & money. They might fulfil some report that says we must have x kilometres of cycle lane but they don't function well as cycle lanes.

The next time you drive up Maryborough Hill have a look at the car in front of you, they spend most of the time in the cycle lane! Especially the sections where the road bends to the left. The most dangerous example of a cycle lane on a left bend is the one on South Terrace near the Fiat garage & the College of Commerce brown building. The painted line for the cycle lane may as well not be there. In fact I would argue that it is more dangerous that the cycle lane paint is there in this instance as it gives a false sense of security to a cyclist, they might assume that other road users will take heed of the existence of the cycle lane. I've been knocked off my bike in a cycle lane (on Model Farm Road) & and have had countless incidences where drivers cut into the cycle lane in front of me to get around a vehicle turning right. If we are going to the bother of putting them in at least design them properly with protection for the cyclist. Kerbing or a ridge on the interface with the road to deter cars from entering is one idea.

thats why i call them gutter runs, especially on the maryborough hill between the shore grates, leaves mush, rubbish, gravel, actual giant bits of rock/broken roads, and other such assortment of items, and including that red stone stuff which comes up and congregates in balls of red stone, they are no more cycle lanes than glorified gutters, i can see how a cyclist is forced to use to the road instead of these things hence i cannot understand why they put them in and make the maryborugh hill in particular more dangerous for motorists and cyclists alike :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I was just thinking, if they painted the dividing line between the cycle lane & the car lane with the same rumble strip effect that they use at the edge of motorways then it would discourage drivers from veering in to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement