Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish - from fishbowl to aquarium? Newbie question

Options
  • 15-02-2013 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

I got an aquarium from a friend who was going to Oz a few months ago, still in the box as he never got to use it. It's a Juwel Koral 60 Tropical (hope I've the name right!)
    I would like just to get some goldfish for it - nothing fancy. Not a bit clued up on this but I'm just wondering, would you need to have a heater when you just have goldfish? I've had goldfish in the past but it just involved a bowl, changing the water every couple of days and feeding them. Does the filter in the aquarium I've gotten get rid of their poops and keep the water clean? :confused:
    How often would I need to change the water as obviously changing 54 litres of water is a big step up from changing the water in a little bowl...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Too small for goldfish I'm afraid, they need at least 100 litres for one, and about 40 litres for each one after that.

If you get a heater for it, it would make a nice tropical tank, and would be a lot less work too. You'd still need to change about 25% of the water every week, but that's easy enough to do.

The most important thing you need to do before adding any fish is read up on cycling the tank with a source of ammonia, usually takes about 4 - 6 weeks... Unless you know someone with an established tank already that could give you some sponge to speed things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Silverfish wrote: »
    Too small for goldfish I'm afraid, they need at least 100 litres for one, and about 40 litres for each one after that.

If you get a heater for it, it would make a nice tropical tank, and would be a lot less work too. You'd still need to change about 25% of the water every week, but that's easy enough to do.

The most important thing you need to do before adding any fish is read up on cycling the tank with a source of ammonia, usually takes about 4 - 6 weeks... Unless you know someone with an established tank already that could give you some sponge to speed things up.

My god - too small for goldfish? And all the tiny fishbowls I've had in the past! Jeez! :eek:
    There is a heater in the box actually. I thought goldfish would be an easy option for me. I just like watching fish... I remember when I was small I would spend ages upon ages looking at the fish bowl and I actually got told off recently for gawking at the fish tank in a restaurant and not paying attention to the conversation! :o
    Silverfish - what would you recommend I start off with? Not anything too expensive. I did a small bit of googling images since I put up the first post... Tetras I think, they look kinda nice? Would they be suitable - or any other kind. Would value your opinion here, thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Tetras guppies mollies platys or swords are all good community fish suitable for a tank that size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

baraca wrote: »
    Tetras guppies mollies platys or swords are all good community fish suitable for a tank that size.
    Thanks so much baraca :) All new to me as I said, so appreciate that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Yeah unfortunately, even the smaller goldfish will grow to 8 or 9 inches, and to keep them in a smaller tank so they stay small just kills them. It's kinda like wanting a puppy to stay a puppy so keeping it in a small cage.
    Also like most coldwater fish, they eat more and poo more, so the bigger the tank, the less problems they'll cause with water quality. They're just poo machines.

ANYway, tetras are great, and there's so many different types. Tetras, rosy barbs, platys, mollies, or even white cloud mountain minnows - they never look good in the shop, but colour up nicely when they get settled.

Just have a look in your local fish shops, see what you like, but then - the important bit- come home and do a bit of research before buying anything there and then. I've ended up with a few things that were unsuitable for the tanks by impulse buying or by listening to what shop staff told me, they were usually expensive mistakes :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd recommend a betta, but then I always do! I guess you could say I'm a bit biased.

You could have a beautiful school of tetras in there alright. It'd be perfect for a species tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where abouts are you based? You should be able to get a loan of a filter sponge from someone nearby to help get your tank kickstarted.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i have the same tank and i started off with some white cloud minnows.they're hardy fish and seem very happy in my tank

Advertisement