Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aprillia RS 125 - Starting problem

• 15-02-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey,

I have a friend who recently bought an Aprillia RS 125.

The problem is it's failing to start almost every time. I recorded a video of what's happening below. Basically the bike will start and everything is fine then if I switch it off and attempt to start it again you will what happens in the video. The bike is basically new with only 200KM on it.

Also this is his first bike so we aren't experts with them.

What we were doing was... key in the ignition, choke is on and hit the starter with a little bit of throttle.

Also the petcock is on.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What Voltage are you getting at the battery?
    Sounds like a dead battery to me.
    2 strokes usually start best full choke no throttle or full throttle no choke.
    Don't twist the throttle when the choke is on, best to hold the bar not the throttle sometimes as you can twist it unconsciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Popo!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What Voltage are you getting at the battery?
    Sounds like a dead battery to me.
    Don't twist the throttle when the choke is on, best to hold the bar not the throttle sometimes as you can twist it unconsciously.

Thanks for the reply, I can't the yet I'll have to do that tomorrow but occasionally the bike will start could that still indicate that it is the battery?

I tried what you said with throttle, both ways, still no luck.

Here's a video of the bike starting, taken right before the other video.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

+1 for dead battery. Pop down to Halfords and get a charger, I got a grand one for 30 quid. Always on lights drain batteries quickly, especially on smaller bikes like a 125.

As said above, when cold try starting with full choke zero throttle. Choke and throttle generally won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

200km ? Nearly new ?

Isn't that what the warranty is for ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

CJhaughey wrote: »

All good advise. also, with a 2stroke the choke is only for starting. Soon as the bike is running take it off choke. let it warm up and off ya go. If you leave the choke on it'll die at tickover. Once its warm it probably won't need choke or throttle to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Popo!

Cheers for the help, turns out the battery was dead. Charged it up and it did improve but the bike still cuts out but I'm pretty there's water in the carburetor so ill get that sorted and see if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Popo! wrote: »
    Cheers for the help, turns out the battery was dead. Charged it up and it did improve but the bike still cuts out but I'm pretty there's water in the carburetor so ill get that sorted and see if it works.

Just seen the tread and was going to suggest dead battery. The starting the bike without proper spin will drain the battery as it has no time to charge it and always on lights will add extra pressure.

Has the bike been out for a spin since the mate bought it?

Advertisement