Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maxi Zoo foods

Options
  • 16-02-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Do anyone of you know any dog food types that i could feed my 3 months old shih tzu cross. I used to give him Baker complete but i heard it is really bad for dogs and it makes them hyper.
    Im looking for something not to expensive to mix in with Hills Science plan .
    Will the fit and fun , frolic ,bonio or madra ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why do you want to mix anything in? The three you mention are all very low quality and I wouldn't go near them.
    Is there a reason you want to feed hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Why don't you just find a good quality food that's cheaper than Hills and feed that instead of mixing? Anything with colours is a no-no, any food that has anything but meat as the first ingredient is a no-no and it should be listed as dried/dehydrated/meal

• Registered Users Posts: 16 osnapitsanna.

i have more than one dog so feeding only hills i quit expensive ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldn't recommend hills at all. How many dogs have you got? What type are they and how much is your monthly budget for food?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

There are better, cheaper foods than Hills though so why not get one of them instead? Hills are in the middle of changing the sizes of their bags as well so it's only going to end up more expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 osnapitsanna.

I have 3 dogs to adult and one puppy shih tzuy and westie ... hills costs me around 80 Euro a month .
    do you know any qiut unexpensive natural ingredients dog food ..i saw one before but cant remember the name

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

There was a thread about Maxi Zoo foods, their prices are listed too here. Their more expensive foods are quite impressive and I've only heard good things about them
    Fit n Fun is like their version of Aldi or Tesco own brand stuff. It would be worth trying Select Gold
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056248191

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm feeding Barking heads and buy on amazon, the 12kg bag lasts me 3 months for two dogs, one small one medium size. Its pretty good and suits my dogs well, they look good on it http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=barking+heads
    Amazon also sell skinners http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=skinners+dog+food&sprefix=skinner%2Caps%2C246&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Askinners+dog+food
    Lots of people swear by that one. 15kg should last 2-3months for 4 small dogs.
    There are lots of good cheaper foods, I usually go for meat first in ingredients and least amount of ingredients in the list.
    I know some shops around Dublin stock the Braking Heads, zooplus is good for foods too.
    Hills in my opinion is crap, made both my dogs have terrible runs when they got some at a friends house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Do anyone of you know any dog food types that i could feed my 3 months old shih tzu cross. I used to give him Baker complete but i heard it is really bad for dogs and it makes them hyper.
    Im looking for something not to expensive to mix in with Hills Science plan .
    Will the fit and fun , frolic ,bonio or madra ??

If the dog is only 3 months of age, how old was he when you were giving him Bakers complete? I'd suggest you find a good puppy food for now, not an adult one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Fit+fun is pure ****e to be honest, it's only sold as an alternative to Aldi/lidl/Tesco own brand.

If you won't a good value mixer select gold is a very good food, you pup would be on mini junior. It's 21.99 for a 4kg of puppy food and 19.99 for the adult food. The 12kg bags cost 49.99

I feed both my labs on real nature, my old girl is very sensitive nd I found real nature being the only food that agrees with her.

If you want a good quality but cheap enough food try the multifit puppy, 8.99 for a 4kg of puppy food or 29.99 for a 12kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Hills is very overpriced for the quality of food you get - if it is currently costing you about €80 per month to feed the dogs, I'm assuming you are feeding about 1.3 12kg bags per month? This equated to approx 16kg (ish)...

Some good food brands that have 15kg bags in their range (as opposed to 12kg) are James Wellbeloved, Select Gold (MaxiZoo only brand), Red Mills Leader, Eukanuba, Best for my Dog, Burns... TBH, there are quite a few. Most of these brands cost in the region of €55 per 15kg bag so it would work out cheaper per month to feed your dogs (plus, depending on brand, they would probably be getting a better quality food). Generally, the bigger the bag the bigger the value on the food. If you are looking for MaxiZoo only brands - Select Gold and Real Nature are the only one I would recommend as most of the rest would generally be classed as "budget" foods (ie. not of great quality).

Having a look online and in stores for deals on food is another way to save a few € each month on food. www.zooplus.ie (and the UK site - www.zooplus.co.uk) is a good site to browse for deals, and keep an eye out for specials offers at local stores.

Advertisement