Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change to 5ghz

• 16-02-2013 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi lads I installed wireless homeplugs and didnt find them great so I got tl-wr2543nd router. Its a dual band 450 router. Im on upc and the cisco router is awful as you know. Easy setup with cd. Works grand. Would I be better changing to the 5 ghz channel or just leave well enough alone? And if yes id have to change the upc and the tp link to 5 ghz channel?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

5ghz is not great at penetrating walls..it is better at avoiding interference in apartment blocks for that reason. Otherwise basically same as 2.4ghz.
    Disable UPC wireless and use TP unit only.

5 GHz should give better performance on 802.11n if you're within its range, but it doesn't penetrate walls very well as Sponge Bob said. Your wireless devices will need to support it too. Most cheaper ones don't and most phones don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

Great thanks for info

Advertisement