Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breach of Privacy and the Data Protection Act ?

• 16-02-2013 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone.I'm new to Boards.ie and hope I've posted in the correct forum :o
    Hope you can help.My daughter has had a mobile phone with a popular service provider for the last 5 years.This morning on waking she found that her phone displayed "No Service available" On ringing my daughters number it has transpired that another person has been "Given" her number and my daughters sim is useless.My thinking is that the service provider has breached privacy Laws and the Protection of Data Act and would appreciate your opinion on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Sounds like they have ported the wrong number, a typo perhaps? Have read about it happening on here before...

Would this forum be any help? - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dj momo

Thanks for the info,seems like the likley cause,but surely a "Typo" is no defence in the case of a persons number being taken ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

dj momo wrote: »
    Thanks for the info,seems like the likley cause,but surely a "Typo" is no defence in the case of a persons number being taken ?

No, not a defence. Just the cause of it.

I hope you get it sorted. If I remember correctly, it was reported to be a bit of a struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Contact the network ASAP. Explain what happened. A type is surely at cause here.

Just got off the phone with a customer service rep of the provider and he was very helpful,he acknowledged that my daughters privacy has been breached as has the Protection of Data act.he gave me an e-mail address to send my complaint to,which I have...holding back on contacting Comreg 'til I see their reply,Thanks for your help Kenny

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

This is most likely an unfortunate error. The effect if which is a DPC breach, but a limited enough one at that.

A duty of care arises, etc. this is codified in the DP Act.

Make the complaint and see where you get with it.

I wouldn't be anticipating a lottery euro millions windfall on foot of same.

Thanks for the info Tom,not expecting a "Windfall" I wish :)...I work in the Services Industry,and have watched in recent years the decline of "Customer Service" and have vowed not to tolerate and take to task any ill treatment from Vendors..after all this is my hard earned cash being spent.BTW I will post the Outcome of my grievance for anyone unfortunate enough to have had a similar experience

Advertisement