Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with speaking in meetings

Options
  • 16-02-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

I started working in a company as a Team Leader.The problem is I hate speaking in public and it is holding me back in my career.I will have to start giving more presentations and holding team meetings.Where can I get some help on this?Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

fire_man wrote: »
    I started working in a company as a Team Leader.The problem is I hate speaking in public and it is holding me back in my career.I will have to start giving more presentations and holding team meetings.Where can I get some help on this?Thanks

Toastmasters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭fire_man

ok thanks,has anyone been there?what should I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

A friendly and mutually supportive atmosphere :)

You could also consider a short course in presentation skills. Some of these courses are very good. Depending on where you work your company may actually support you by paying some or all of the costs if they think it will enhance your capabilities.

thanks i would prefer doing it on my own without them knowing.How much is Toastmasters?Do I have to speak at meetings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

You are not alone. Most people are nervous of speaking in public.

Have a look at the evening classes guides. There are courses I think in public speaking.

In the meantime, what will get you through it is proper preparation. Know what you are going to say before you stand up. Use notes - not verbatim what you are going to say but bullets for all the main points in sequence. It means you can always move on to the next point.

Also if you have an important presentation to make, there is nothing wrong with practicing it at home.

I can guarantee you that it gets easier the more often you do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

doomed wrote: »

Also if you have an important presentation to make, there is nothing wrong with practicing it at home.

I can guarantee you that it gets easier the more often you do it.
    exactly. I used to dread this too, I didn't go to classes, but I did watch others carefully and pick up tips, preparation, confident delivery, open body language.

Lots of practicing in front of the mirror at home and talking to myself in the car on the way to the meeting/presentation!

Doomed is right, it gets better and easier with practice and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are short courses, but IMHO Toastmasters is better. They have a structured programme that runs over a period of time, and provide more friendly support. It's also an excellent opportunity to network with a wider group of people than your current job - and your job won't know unless someone from the job is also a Toastmaster.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Lots of practicing in front of the mirror at home and talking to myself in the car on the way to the meeting/presentation!
    I do that too. Wife thinks I need to see a psychiatrist!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

feargale wrote: »
    Wife thinks I need to see a psychiatrist!

Due to the talking to the mirror or just in general? Only joking with you. I do the same as well sometimes.

• Advertisement

OK, Fireman, the principal problem of public speakers is disorganisation, a lack of preparedness. The three cardinal rules of public speaking are a. Analyse, b. Plan, c. Deliver. Each of those three has three sub-rules.

chris85 wrote: »

Due to the talking to the mirror or just in general?
    Both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

In the words of Nike Just do it. Worst that can happen is you get a bit nervous. I'd just come right out and say that. They'll always be some gobsh1te the the audience like me that'll give you a bit of encouragement.

Toastmasters is excellent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I got a tip from an Army Officer almost 30 years ago and I took him up on it.

Volunteer to do some readings at Mass. You were guaranteed to have a large audience, you probably knew most of them and the subject matter you knew little!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I got a tip from an Army Officer almost 30 years ago and I took him up on it.

Volunteer to do some readings at Mass. You were guaranteed to have a large audience, you probably knew most of them and the subject matter you knew little!!!

That's a bloody brilliant idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

That is why he was an Officer! I was doing my NCOs course and like the OP I was nervous and would stammer. It certainly helped me with my nerves.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    That is why he was an Officer! I was doing my NCOs course and like the OP I was nervous and would stammer. It certainly helped me with my nerves.

It's good for nerves (did it as a kid) but not so good for teaching you to engage with and develop a rapport with your audience which the OP also needs to learn, it is a good first step though :)

ANALYSE : 1. Subject 2. Audience 3. Purpose in speaking.
    PLAN : 1. Select suitably 2. Arrange 3. Illustrate
    DELIVER : 1. Direct 2. Distinct 3. Lively.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

feargale wrote: »
    ANALYSE : 1. Subject 2. Audience 3. Purpose in speaking.
    PLAN : 1. Select suitably 2. Arrange 3. Illustrate
    DELIVER : 1. Direct 2. Distinct 3. Lively.

Ah now if it's just team meetings it's easier than that.

Firstly, set out and communicate an agenda prior to the meeting.
    Agenda should include:
    1. Actions from previous meetings.
    2. Update on current status and outstanding issues.
    3. Future short term plans
    4. AOB: should be an open forum for everyone to discuss valid issues.

Op the above is for a case where you are having a meeting with your team. It's important that you be seen to run the meeting and control it as much as your speaking, in a team meeting I'd expect the leader to direct and lead as much as speak, if not more. Also you MUST minute and circulate the minutes and actions within 24 hours of the meeting.

If it's team meetings with other team leaders, it should be the person chairing the meeting who controls it.

Does that make sense?

Advertisement