Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limited on WIFI

Options
  • 16-02-2013 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

My WIFI on my laptop occasionally changes to Limited and the internet will stop working. Sometimes I will have to disconnect the WIFI and other times it will just work again on its own.

What is the problem here? The laptop or the broadband? How would I fix it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

01902 wrote: »
    My WIFI on my laptop occasionally changes to Limited and the internet will stop working. Sometimes I will have to disconnect the WIFI and other times it will just work again on its own.

What is the problem here? The laptop or the broadband? How would I fix it?

Thanks!

Have you updated the WiFi drivers for your laptop? Dodgy drivers could cause such problems :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

I'm OK with computers but how would I go about doing that?

What is the laptop model number and manufacturer? I.e: Dell Inspiron 9200 for e.g;

Nick

Samsung NP305V5A-A04DX upgraded to Windows 8.

01902 wrote: »
    Samsung NP305V5A-A04DX upgraded to Windows 8.

You should check your device manager to see which Wireless adaptor is installed in your computer (search device manager from start tile screen and look under network adaptors). You can download drivers for your laptop then here

Nick

• Advertisement

Thank you for the replies, I will have a look tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

You could also try setting up static IP settings on your wireless network adaptor. I was having similar problems to you when connecting to an Eircom router, and setting up a static IP configuration helped me to maintain a much more stable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

yoyo wrote: »
    Have you updated the WiFi drivers for your laptop? Dodgy drivers could cause such problems :)

Nick

this ^

badly written wifi drivers particularly with acer laptops

im not sure why acer still use that atheros brand of wifi adapter cos their (atheros) poorly written drivers is often the cause of this issue.

Advertisement