Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish History 1916 Rising Book's?

Options
  • 16-02-2013 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys trying to learn more about the 1916 rising and was just wondering if any of ye could recommend a good book that details pretty much all the events and the lead up to it. i have been looking online and am kind of lost with the selection of books there is. is there any particular one i should look out for?:D
    Thanks in advance Ross.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I can't recommend a book that deals specifically with the Rising, but The Transformation of Ireland 1900-2000 by Diarmaid Ferriter is excellent. It's interesting to read about areas such as the Easter Rising and War of Independence, and then view them through the prism of modern Ireland. Also, while it covers these key areas, it also deals with overlooked issues that effected people on the ground, rather then just those in political office. If this isn't what you're looking for now, do keep a note of it for another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

exactly what i was looking for thanks i have just ordered it. it seems to have gotten great reviews thanks:D at 900 pages it will be one of the bigger books i read:o... i hope its not a hard read if you know what i mean.thanks again ross:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    exactly what i was looking for thanks i have just ordered it. it seems to have gotten great reviews thanks:D at 900 pages it will be one of the bigger books i read:o... i hope its not a hard read if you know what i mean.thanks again ross:D

You're welcome. It is a big book, but it's not heavy going. Happy reading! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

you can go the traditional route - would recommend FX Martin or Tim Pat Coogan (1916) or On Another Man's wounds - Ernie O'Malley

or you could go with 1916 by Morgan Llewlyn - not sure of historic accuracy but is a great read..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Easter 1916 The Irish Rebellion: Charles Townsend

The core text of every history module concerning recent Irish past in Irish colleges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

^^^
    cheers mate just ordered it now from play thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

Your location says Midlands, so this may be of interest to you, my fiancé thought it was great
    http://www.generationpublishing.com/

They Put The Flag A Flyin'
    Story of the Roscommon Volunteers involvement 1916 - 1923

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I would also recommend James Stephens' eyewitness account of the Rising "The Insurrection in Dublin", which has a vivid immediacy that draws you in and gives you a real sense of how Dubliners felt about it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

If you want the views of the fighter's themselves (partisan views of course :)) then you can do no better than 'Dublin's fighting story, 1916-21'.

Yes it goes beyond the rising but these are stories written and told by the veteran's themselves. The stories were originally published in the Kerryman in 1948 but are combined in this book with an introduction by the aforementioned Diarmaid Ferriter.

A very good read imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I know that I will be torn to shreds here but let me preface by saying I have a big interest in the period and a M.A in history. If you are not a historian and are looking for a light read with a reasonably accurate description of the events you could do worse than "A star called Henry" by Roddy Doyle. Lovely book and very funny also.

If you are to read one of those general 20th century history books then I wouldn't recommend Ferriter's one if all you want is a rundown of events, I really like that book but he tends to stray quite a lot usually into the realm of social or cultural history. Other historians such as Dermot Keogh, JJ Lee or (God help me) even Tim Pat Coogan have produced books on the period which are probably more accessible though less interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

I know that I will be torn to shreds here but let me preface by saying I have a big interest in the period and a M.A in history. If you are not a historian and are looking for a light read with a reasonably accurate description of the events you could do worse than "A star called Henry" by Roddy Doyle. Lovely book and very funny also.

Agreed, lovely book, although some of it I could have done without :)
    If you are to read one of those general 20th century history books then I wouldn't recommend Ferriter's one if all you want is a rundown of events, I really like that book but he tends to stray quite a lot usually into the realm of social or cultural history.
    In my opinion, that is every bit as important as the event itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Mystery of the Casement Ship - Captain Karl Spindler, Captained The Aud that brought Roger Casement to Ireland.
    Not a long book.

A novel Insurrection by Liam O'Flaherty with some of the historical persons involved.

Advertisement