Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

humanji wrote: »
    But they're not reviews. They're at best brief first impressions and at worst hissy fits. They haven't played the game to any lengths. Most are complaining about one issue which they were well informed about ages ago. It's like complaining that Tomb Raider wasn't an FPS. Am I justified in complaining to Square Enix and demanding that they patch in an FPS mode? Or if I wanted a specific type of game, am I better off not buying Tomb Raider and getting that other type of game?

Sim City may well end up being terrible. But there is not a single reason to take any notice of a load random reviews on a shopping website.

Wasn't really referring to the joe public, more about reviews lowering their score purely of strict DRM.
    These metacritic user scores are generally silly! they gave ME3 a low score purely on them not liking the ending even though the game is amazing.
    Demographic of Metacritic user scorers are 12-16 i'd imagine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just home from work and saw people going nuts again about not being able to play, managed to get on fine with no problems now thats not to say it wont get worse later but im fed up with people who dont even own the game whining about this that and the other

The servers are reachable now because they've now disabled some of the online features, believe it or not.

What a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

So guys how is it? I've been watching it on twitch non-stop whenever I've had a chance. Was considering buy but 60 quid is a lot to dish out. Any sites out there offering discounts? Is it even worth the money so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

But they're not reviews. They're at best brief first impressions and at worst hissy fits. They haven't played the game to any lengths. Most are complaining about one issue which they were well informed about ages ago. It's like complaining that Tomb Raider wasn't an FPS. Am I justified in complaining to Square Enix and demanding that they patch in an FPS mode? Or if I wanted a specific type of game, am I better off not buying Tomb Raider and getting that other type of game?

Sim City may well end up being terrible. But there is not a single reason to take any notice of a load random reviews on a shopping website.

Thats silly imho these are real people trying to play the game they payed 80 dollars for who can not because of a wholly anti consumer unneeded forced in always on element a person would be stupid in the extreme to ignore well over 1300 negative reviews simply because "hey you should of known" when did it get to the point where a game simply not working and being basically a 80 dollar rental become acceptable to anyone to the point they defend it ?

Crazy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Reekwind wrote: »
    ...because they can't. The system won't let them. Hence their anger

So Half-Life two was the worst game ever made because it couldn't be played for the first few days? Or does it make sense to wait and see what happens and judge them game when it's fully up and running?
    KilOit wrote: »
    Wasn't really referring to the joe public, more about reviews lowering their score purely of strict DRM.
    These metacritic user scores are generally silly! they gave ME3 a low score purely on them not liking the ending even though the game is amazing.
    Demographic of Metacritic user scorers are 12-16 i'd imagine.

Ah right, yeah I fully agree there. It makes perfect sense to mark games down because they're always online. It jsut seems pointless to me that so many people are getting wound up by it that they feel they've been sinned against.

• Advertisement

So guys how is it? I've been watching it on twitch non-stop whenever I've had a chance. Was considering buy but 60 quid is a lot to dish out. Any sites out there offering discounts? Is it even worth the money so far?

I'd wait till the dust settle, it's great to get a game when it's out but if it's popular and needs to be online all the time it can lead to a lot of frustration.

Diablo 3 caused me so much hassle because i lack the willpower to just come back later to play it and would just sit on the log on screen constantly hammering away till i get in, only to crash again 10 mins later!

I'd wait till the dust settle, it's great to get a game when it's out but if it's popular and needs to be online all the time it can lead to a lot of frustration.

Diablo 3 caused me so much hassle because i lack the willpower to just come back later to play it and would just sit on the log on screen constantly hammering away till i get in, only to crash again 10 mins later!

So the online is really causing a lot of problems?

So the online is really causing a lot of problems?

Well few die hard fans are complaining about small maps as well, i do agree with it looking at streams, maps look tiny and i'd hardly call them cities! more like large towns :)

your maps are stored on servers and EA only have so many to go around and they'd rather not over buy servers just for the influx on day 1 so for first week i'd imagine they'd drop connection a lot with massive amount of data flooding them. All big online games go through these hicups, think every MMO i've played was a disaster on day 1 or week 1 and even FPS games like Battlefield 3 have them.

Well few die hard fans are complaining about small maps as well, i do agree with it looking at streams, maps look tiny and i'd hardly call them cities! more like large towns :)

your maps are stored on servers and EA only have so many to go around and they'd rather not over buy servers just for the influx on day 1 so for first week i'd imagine they'd drop connection a lot with massive amount of data flooding them. All big online games go through these hicups, think every MMO i've played was a disaster on day 1 or week 1 and even FPS games like Battlefield 3 have them.

But this game has no need to be on line its completely anti you for the benfit of EA createing sim city as a service platform rather than a product which is ok if it was free to play OR a mmo but its not its a single player game that cost you 30-80 dollars

Yes I know the issues that occur with online games; the question I am asking is

1) Is this game worth the RRP?
    2) is there any way to get this game for less than 60E.

• Advertisement

Yes I know the issues that occur with online games; the question I am asking is

1) Is this game worth the RRP?
    2) is there any way to get this game for less than 60E.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ie/en/pc/games/simulation/simcity-limited-edition/

About 42 euro with the 20% off code in the description very trust worthy site have used it many times

bizmark wrote: »
    But this game has no need to be on line its completely anti you for the benfit of EA createing sim city as a service platform rather than a product which is ok if it was free to play OR a mmo but its not its a single player game that cost you 30-80 dollars

No! it's so EA can provide a solid service to their fanbase...... bleh just threw up in my mouth a little, yeah of course i agree! it's a cashcow that will be milked dry, it's purely for delivering micro transactions fast and effectively. it's just like the Sims which make EA a ton of money selling the same doll but with a new hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

guys how many gigs is the game to download?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

it's just like the Sims which make EA a ton of money selling the same doll but with a new hat!

Unfortunately, until people stop buying that nonsense it's here to stay

COYVB wrote: »
    Unfortunately, until people stop buying that nonsense it's here to stay

Which is why metacritic and amazon "hissy fits" are so important and not to be ignored this **** is completely anti user and needs to be spammed everywhere till companys back down from this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Which is why metacritic and amazon "hissy fits" are so important and not to be ignored this **** is completely anti user and needs to be spammed everywhere till companys back down from this crap

Yeah cus EA care what morons say on metacritic? No the only important thing they will understand is when money stops flowing, unfortunately gamers are one of those groups of people who dont know how to say no and will never be able to stop buying stuff as theres always something newer and shinier that we have to have.
    BTW this is all getting ridiculous this thread is meant to be about discussing simcity, you want to talk about EAs ****ty business practices go do it in the thread dedicated to that here. I and several others who have actually gone out and bought the game would like to discuss it without have to see other peoples self righteous rants every 5 seconds

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ie/en/pc/games/simulation/simcity-limited-edition/

About 42 euro with the 20% off code in the description very trust worthy site have used it many times

Have to wait 'til tomorrow to play. But, all the same, thanks a lot!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

KilOit wrote:
    No! it's so EA can provide a solid service to their fanbase...... bleh just threw up in my mouth a little, yeah of course i agree! it's a cashcow that will be milked dry, it's purely for delivering micro transactions fast and effectively. it's just like the Sims which make EA a ton of money selling the same doll but with a new hat!

So what if its a cash cow as long as people enjoy it. What you might find the same doll might give another player many many hours of entertainment.

Secondly there is a difference between micro transactions and DLC. As far as I'm aware there are no micro transactions present in SimCity.

Thirdly why would EA need always online DRM to sell DLC or microtransactions.
    Other games prove its not needed. The logically explanation for these type of DRM is to combat piracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

They're not important at all. What's important is that unless people stop buying pointless DLC, companies will continue to shovel it out. Metacritic and Amazon reviews don't really matter a toss in the grand scale. If there are people in the community willing to spend stupid money for moronic add-ons, the market is clearly there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

They haven't played the game to any lengths. Most are complaining about one issue which they were well informed about ages ago.

They're complaining about not being able to play it at all which is kind of the point of a "game".

Plus I was about to buy it and had no idea about requiring an active net connection. Or that the servers were flaky.

So the info was really important to me, and if it had just been a few complaints I wouldn't have paid so much attention so the critical mass is really important.

• Advertisement

Yeah cus EA care what morons say on metacritic? No the only important thing they will understand is when money stops flowing, unfortunately gamers are one of those groups of people who dont know how to say no and will never be able to stop buying stuff as theres always something newer and shinier that we have to have.

Best way to ensure they notice the hit to their money flow is through word of mouth i would of tought which is what the internet excels at. Also considering dead space 3 has by some accounts been hit by bad sales numbers you have to wonder how much of that is due to micro transaction bad press and how all these problems will effect their sales predictions for sim city and considering its run from a server farm at ea's plesure how long the game will survive if they decide it didnt hit targets.
    BTW this is all getting ridiculous this thread is meant to be about discussing simcity, you want to talk about EAs ****ty business practices go do it in the thread dedicated to that here. I and several others who have actually gone out and bought the game would like to discuss it without have to see other peoples self righteous rants every 5 seconds

Its part of sim city hence why its being discussed on the sim city thread and not the more general micro transaction thread if you wish to talk about purely gameplay elements go ahead no ones stoping you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The way people go on about games at times is ridiculous. Whats so bad about a games company making money? You would swear its something evil and shouldnt happen.

Dazza wrote: »
    guys how many gigs is the game to download?
    Thanks
    I think it's about 12gig.

In fairness though, the game isn't fully out, and the server issue is a fairly important one at the moment.
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    They're complaining about not being able to play it at all which is kind of the point of a "game".

Plus I was about to buy it and had no idea about requiring an active net connection. Or that the servers were flaky.

So the info was really important to me, and if it had just been a few complaints I wouldn't have paid so much attention so the critical mass is really important.

They're rating a game without playing it based on a temporary problem. They're more than entitled to say whatever they want, but why should anybody trust their "review"? It's nothing more than a rant. So if someone went, for example, to Amazon and wanted to read a review to see if it's worth getting, all they'll get is a load of rants from people who either were never going to buy the game, or couldn't log in during the first few days. It's just a pointless rant.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

VinLieger wrote:

Okay I'll bow out of the DRM/DLC discussion. But I'll point out the game isn't out till tomorrow here so not many people will have played it here yet.

Pre-download is available for those who bought the digital version. Now...would it be too optimistic to think that they will launch at 12.00CET?

Hmm, just had something strange happen. I bought this through Origin (had a voucher, which is the only reason I didn't bother going elsewhere. Well, that and laziness), and I just got an email saying it's ready for pre-load. But it now says I have the Deluxe edition, rather than standard. I've checked receipts and haven't been charged extra, so if you've gotten it through Origin, see if it happened to you. It might be a slight error, it might be free stuff, or they may end up charging later, so it's best to give a heads up.

Hmm, just had something strange happen. I bought this through Origin (had a voucher, which is the only reason I didn't bother going elsewhere. Well, that and laziness), and I just got an email saying it's ready for pre-load. But it now says I have the Deluxe edition, rather than standard. I've checked receipts and haven't been charged extra, so if you've gotten it through Origin, see if it happened to you. It might be a slight error, it might be free stuff, or they may end up charging later, so it's best to give a heads up.

There wasnt a standard version available on digital, only Deluxe and Limited Edition not sure which was which.

Anyone wrote: »
    There wasnt a standard version available on digital, only Deluxe and Limited Edition not sure which was which.
    The cheaper one then. The other was €20 extra for essentially a couple of re-skinned buildings. Madness. But if they're free, I won't complain.

The cheaper one then. The other was €20 extra for essentially a couple of re-skinned buildings. Madness. But if they're free, I won't complain.

Haha, true. Now I have to go check which one I got!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Maybe they just gave that to everyone as partial acknowledgement to the absolute ****up the release has been??

Advertisement