Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

VinLieger wrote: »
    Look nobodies cutting EA slack the current situation is a joke, but i have enjoyed every second ive played of the game so far and guess what it will probably be perfectly playable in a few days time so giving it a permanent bad review because it wasnt playable straight away even if its a perfectly good game is just childish

Imagine all the games ever released were perfect on day 1. The horror.

In a counter-argument, there is no reason for the game to be online (Not that I give a single f*ck either way).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Touché.

Yeah i dont expect to be able to play at all till monday and if i do i will be happily surprised, nevermind though im patient and have lots of other stuff to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Imagine all the games ever released were perfect on day 1. The horror.

Most are at least playable...

Most are at least playable...

Not if they're online. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

stop putting single player games online then with tacked on leaderboards to try and sell it to people simple fix the "whiners" on metacritic and amazon go away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Diablo 3 worked on launch. Yes it had plenty of problems and you'd have to queue to play sometimes, but it was still playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I just bought it on greenmangaming.
    I know about issues and all, but the game looks promising anyway.
    It's not like the game ends in a week, so I hope it will work tomorrow, but if it wont, then I'll just wait.

Newaglish wrote: »
    Diablo 3 worked on launch. Yes it had plenty of problems and you'd have to queue to play sometimes, but it was still playable.

Sometimes? : DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

7210363296_8357bee9de.jpg

EDIT: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=error+37

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

IGN reporting that EA have taken the decision to disable some if the games non-essential features (including leaderboards, achievements & region filters) to try to help fix the server issues.

Linky

Hopefully it will let more people play the game.

So today was only europe as well, at 12.01 add on UK, Ireland and New Zealand, i would honestly be surprised if anyone gets to play before monday

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    So today was only europe as well, at 12.01 add on UK, Ireland and New Zealand, i would honestly be surprised if anyone gets to play before monday

I'm going to try at 12 and see how I get on!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This has War Z written all over it, except it's happening to a reputable company which underneath it all is a rather decent game. I really hope they get their act together soon.

Just read a few articles saying they are holding off reviews til Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What's the cheapest way to buy the game at the moment? Is it cheaper to buy a hard copy?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

.ak wrote: »
    What's the cheapest way to buy the game at the moment? Is it cheaper to buy a hard copy?

Greenmangaming is the cheapest I've found. Most brick and mortars are about 45-50 euro. GMG works out at just under 42 after promo code.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The game is worth the wait, I can fully understand the annoyance though. An easy compromise would have been to have a offline test mode that you could still play and mess in get used to the new layout, make all those early mistakes and then in a few days when things settle you could start a proper city online.

One tip for getting online is to keep the game open and just keep hitting retry eventually it does pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Football Manager 2012 worked and thats an online game that you cant play without being connected to the net. SI give you the choice to go online to get updates. Why was this so hard for EA to understand/implement?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have to laugh everytime I see DRM mentioned

Game was developed as an online, always alive universe,

Its essentially developed and structured like an MMO. Anyone who has played an MMO, knows that launch days are always a nightmare.

Why is DRM being mentioned, its nothing to do with DRM, the issue is launch day for an always online universe, where they have, like every persistent world game, completely under estimated server capacity.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Finally got to play a bit and I do like it so far. That is, in spite of all the stupid, idiotic barriers EA have seen fit to put in the way of that enjoyment.

I feel sorry for the developers. I doubt this was their idea.

The joke of it is that a crack will arrive that allows offline play and probably bigger maps sizes too.

Cuse its always been a single player game for its entire history and nothing in this always on element of the game is of great benefit to anyone or cant be included in the more normal way of adding an ingame server browser for anyone who wishs to play multiplayer theres no reason to force this game online aside from benfiting EA and turning your 40 euro game into a service platform at the mercy of their good graces something i would not be bursting in faith for.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have to laugh everytime I see DRM mentioned

Game was developed as an online, always alive universe,

Its essentially developed and structured like an MMO. Anyone who has played an MMO, knows that launch days are always a nightmare.

Why is DRM being mentioned, its nothing to do with DRM, the issue is launch day for an always online universe, where they have, like every persistent world game, completely under estimated server capacity.

This.

• Advertisement

Maximilian wrote: »
    Finally got to play a bit and I do like it so far. That is, in spite of all the stupid, idiotic barriers EA have seen fit to put in the way of that enjoyment.

I feel sorry for the developers. I doubt this was their idea.

The joke of it is that a crack will arrive that allows offline play and probably bigger maps sizes too.

Was 100% the developers decision.

The point of this game is to be persistently online, and to be played by friends.

The always on connection has ZERO to do with DRM, as confirmed by just about every interview done with Maxis where everyone asked was this the reason why from the start.

bizmark wrote: »
    Cuse its always been a single player game for its entire history /QUOTE]

And the developers have outlined that the next step is for online play in a persistent world

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just bought it on GMG. Gonna wait til sunday to play it tho. Hopefully all the server ****e will be done by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

TheDoc wrote: »
    Cuse its always been a single player game for its entire history

And the developers have outlined that the next step is for online play in a persistent world

its a shame they are missing a few key points in that such as "play" "persistent" and "online":p

Merger wrote: »

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 32 szines

Hi, for me the Sim City is working properly. Eastern Europe server looks busy, but you can connect immediately, you don't have to wait. My Origin name is: FlyingHobbit if you want play. I bought on Green Man Gaming shop. It was only €42. Here is a link: http://goo.gl/1S8Je

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Cuse its always been a single player game for its entire history and nothing in this always on element of the game is of great benefit to anyone or cant be included in the more normal way of adding an ingame server browser for anyone who wishs to play multiplayer theres no reason to force this game online aside from benfiting EA and turning your 40 euro game into a service platform at the mercy of their good graces something i would not be bursting in faith for.

It doesn't benefit EA unless the MMO market jump on it though. I love me my city builders but hate MMOs with a passion so the direction they took, which is totally their free choice with their IP, is not something I am interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Sim City 4 was released 10 years ago, and the gaming world has changed a huge amount in those 10 years.

• Advertisement

It has but that doesnt mean every change is acceptable or wanted just because EA wants you to always be online or wants to nickle and dime you to death doesnt mean people have to or will accept it vin may laugh at 20,000 people voicing a desenting voice on a likely useless petition or the oceans of negative reviews on eurogamer/amazon/metacrtic/youtube but its a very clear indication this crap is not to the benefit or enjoyment of you this is not eve online it is not battlefield 3 its a city building game and these systems are not benefiting your ablity to play they are very obviously negatively impacting them this is not a good "change" reguardless of how much gameing has changed and tbh mostly for the worst in the last 10 years

Advertisement