Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Anyone wrote: »

Sim City 4 was released 10 years ago, and the gaming world has changed a huge amount in those 10 years.

For the better?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Regardless of the situation...

858390_10200879663853970_2270144_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have to laugh everytime I see DRM mentioned

Game was developed as an online, always alive universe,

Its essentially developed and structured like an MMO. Anyone who has played an MMO, knows that launch days are always a nightmare.

Why is DRM being mentioned, its nothing to do with DRM, the issue is launch day for an always online universe, where they have, like every persistent world game, completely under estimated server capacity.

So why do we need to be connected online to play in Sandbox mode or a private region that doesn't connect with other players?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

For the better?

Thats individual opinion I guess. But why I said it was to say that what was the "norm" 10 years ago isnt now. I genuinely think what you are seeing now with games will become standard for bigger releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Morpork wrote: »
    So why do we need to be connected online to play in Sandbox mode or a private region that doesn't connect with other players?

Cause maxis said so and they sure as hell arent bias or anything

• Advertisement

bizmark wrote: »
    It has but that doesnt mean every change is acceptable or wanted just because EA wants you to always be online or wants to nickle and dime you to death doesnt mean people have to or will accept it vin may laugh at 20,000 people voicing a desenting voice on a likely useless petition or the oceans of negative reviews on eurogamer/amazon/metacrtic/youtube but its a very clear indication this crap is not to the benefit or enjoyment of you this is not eve online it is not battlefield 3 its a city building game and these systems are not benefiting your ablity to play they are very obviously negatively impacting them this is not a good "change" reguardless of how much gameing has changed and tbh mostly for the worst in the last 10 years

But if EA sell 10million copies worldwide, that 20k petition becomes meaningless. They will say that what they did is a success. And they will have the figures to show it.

The simple fact that people who are complaining STILL bought the game says a lot to me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I just noticed Sim City 4 is 18 on the Steam charts, and it's not even on sale! I'm hanging around til after midnight, want to see how this launch goes. If it goes well I'll get it for the weekend. If not, I'll hold off.

You assume they will sell alot though and they might but the sad thing is most of these people bought it ages ago (pre ordering is bad mmkay) but will they be burned again next time ? or advice their friends to buy it? id say not its like grabbing as much money as you can right in front of you while throwing a Molotov 20 feet in front of you to set fire to any money that could be their ......or some metaphor that might be better

bizmark wrote: »
    You assume they will sell alot though and they might but the sad thing is most of these people bought it ages ago (pre ordering is bad mmkay) but will they be burned again next time ? or advice their friends to buy it? id say not its like grabbing as much money as you can right now while throwing a Molotov 20 feet in front of you to set fire to any money that could be their ......or some metaphor that might be better

It is an assumption yes, but its a game backed by the biggest games company in the world, so it will sell. It will also get a whole load of new players who never played the Sim City franchise due to The Sims franchise.

As for re-buying, how many bad releases have EA had(theres a lot) yet people still buy from them.

Heres what will happen imo....there will be a mass of anger and complaint due to the server issues. The server issues will be fixed and people will enjoy the game(this will be done in a week). EA will give those people affected a free in game skin and all will be forgiven.

• Advertisement

I very much hope everyone who bought the game enjoy the ever loveing **** out of it but as for the rest i hope your very wrong but fear you might not be which is sad for the future of this hobby i enjoyed for the last 23 years or so.

i want to own a product i dont want to rent a (non working) service from ea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

12:01. Nothing happening. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

EDIT: NVM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

"Processing large file".

A file-size, download speed, ETA or any info whatsoever would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah now i know how than yanks have been feeling since tuesday, sever lists europe east 1 as available and yet when i try to play? Server busy next rejoin time 20 minutes
    Really looking forward to playing this on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Instilling off my disk..... 8% in 50 seconds so far. ;)

Oh dear something went wrong and it stopped reading the disk....had to download.

Server busy, waiting to log on.

20 min wait time. SEE YA.

Good to see they learned from their staggered launch anyway

cm-28643-0508deec1c98ac.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Can all the people whinging about "offline mode" and "offline cracks" please re-read the parts where the game requires a connection to it's servers to do part of the processing of your city and region? You can't have a game in offline mode that needs that sort of connection so the meaningless bl33ting about what they should and shouldn't have off line only shows that you've made your mind up without knowing the facts and are therefore unable to contribute anything of value to this conversation. It seems that Glassbox (the engine) is a seriously complicated and intricate (and therefore resource heavy) piece of kit. Having server side processing takes some of the load off client machines (which means you can sell this to people who don't have bleeding edge gaming machines because they're not that sort of gamer) and as an added benefit, allows them to check for cheats, cracks, hacks and exploits.

They have fncked this up on an unimaginably huge scale - not one person in the world can side with EA's management of this launch, but as TheDoc said above, this is par for the course with MMOs. It happened to Blizzard with Diablo 3, it happened to Bioware/EA with SWTOR, it's been happening as far back as games like Ultima Online. It seems to me that there's no cost efficient way to stress test this sort of demand on servers, otherwise they'd probably have done it.

I've been trying to play this game for almost 12 hours. Twice I have succeeded in getting into the game for about 15 mins the first time and 30 mins the second before it crashed out on me. I was sent a copy to write a review of the game. So far the only experience I have of actually properly playing this game has been from the second Beta test. This annoys me greatly, but I'm not about to loose my mind over it. I won't be letting this over-shadow my review of the game, but I sure as sh1t won't be forgetting about it either.

I find myself genuinely wondering if there are any legal options open? Sale of goods act may well apply. It'd be interesting if someone took a Class Action suit in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Alright. I wanna play with boardsies. Who should I add and what region should I join?

I'm on europe west 2 btw if that makes a difference.

Omg I got in! :D

EDIT: Europe West 2 - IRLSinister

I sent you a friend request sinister. maybe we can start a new region :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm able to connect to the servers but the game is running slow as hell, laggy as feck, I'm just wondering it, is that a server issue or is it my laptop despite meeting the min requirements is a bit ****e.

Mine is running smooth as butter at maxed. Probably your laptop mate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kirby wrote: »
    Mine is running smooth as butter at maxed. Probably your laptop mate.

Damn I feared that! :(

I can't believe how long the update/patch is taking to install!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Just bit the bullet and bought it. Add me on origin if you want a game, daz0rz is my username. Its downloading pretty quick.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Starting to get the hang of this now, have three cities in one region, on my third city using the resources from my first city (cos it has loads of Oil). The cities are big enough once you have a generous bit of flat land to build on.

My origin id is macl0ve if anyone wants to add me :)

Advertisement