Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

FFS, eventually after many attempts i got in.
    Thought id refresh myself with the genre and do the tutorial,went well no disconnects etc.
    Time to play for real,created a private game since it was going to be my first effort and id rather invite friends than joe public for the first region.
    When i went to claim my land the game refuses to allow me do so,countless attempts even with different regions etc but no joy yet the servers are up.

edit : servers down again lmao!
    and back up a gain !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dcully wrote: »
    Good man, one thing though, should we not go with Europe West?

Yup that would make more sense allright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Belfunk wrote: »
    Not sure if this has already been posted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21712910

Wow, that's fairly major.

Currently 11/16 spots taken
    VinLieger
    Merger
    Kirby
    Lockie1983
    Newaglish
    Youreadthat
    Grizzly
    Johnny 666
    NotorietyH
    Dcully
    IRL_Sinister

Hope i havent missed anyone, still in work but will start it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I might get in on that. How do the players actually interact with each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

VinLieger wrote: »
    VinLieger
    Merger
    Kirby
    Lockie1983
    Newaglish
    Youreadthat
    Grizzly
    Johnny 666
    NotorietyH
    Dcully
    IRL_Sinister
    macl0ve

Added me in :D

VinLieger
    Merger
    Kirby
    Lockie1983
    Newaglish
    Youreadthat
    Grizzly
    Johnny 666
    NotorietyH
    Dcully
    IRL_Sinister

I'll get in on that, if that's okay! Silly n00b question, but how do I find out my Origin name? I'm away from my PC and usually just use my email address to log into origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Grimebox wrote: »
    I might get in on that. How do the players actually interact with each other?

You can trade excess resources to other cites – water, oil, power. During an emergency you can loan fire engines/police. Also sims from other cites will visit for tourism or work – giving you extra tax $.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

VinLieger
    Merger
    Kirby
    Lockie1983
    Newaglish
    Youreadthat
    Grizzly
    Johnny 666
    NotorietyH
    Dcully
    IRL_Sinister

Stick me down Belfunk1983

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭_Puma_

gizmo wrote: »
    The logic, from what I understand, is that the simulations that are being carried out online are quite complex and would preclude the possibility of the game running on lower end machines. Since a considerable portion of the target audience of the game would be non-core gamers, the chances of them having decent machines would be fairly low so this would allow more people to run the game. So there is dual benefit, the game is made more dynamic via the city interactions with the online simulations aiding this by keeping them consistent and hack free and it also allows the game to reach a wider audience.

As for development I'd wager that initial client side development was done with dummy data which just cycled between a bunch of set values while the server side team worked on getting their end up. The online side of things would have been brought in gradually until all systems were tied together with the relevant simulations replacing the dummy data with the correctly calculated ones.

I should point out that all of the above is based on what has been released so far and the engineering implications of this info. It'll be extremely easy to see if they've been lying when more folk get their hands on the game and they start looking at the traffic going to and from the EA servers. :)

Gizmo I understand the point you are making but think about it, there are no calculations done "online" simply data been handed back and over between server client. Now they have come out with the point that they had memory issues on the clientside but this could be tackled by graphical settings, map limitations etc.. like what is done for nearly every other game. I don't believe that the glassbox engine is so complex that only the EA servers with magical CPU's can process the data. Some sort of offline single player sandbox mode should be the very minimum we accept, but there was no will to do this, which in my opinion is to justify the always online DRM.

In any case this is why I wont be purchasing SimCity 5, I hope for you that purchased it that the server issues get sorted out asap, but I believe that voting with your wallet and punishing companies that decide that over zealous always online DRM is neccesary is not the way to go, and by looking at reviews on metacritic I am not alone in this.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I'll get in on that, if that's okay! Silly n00b question, but how do I find out my Origin name? I'm away from my PC and usually just use my email address to log into origin.

When in origin your name should be displayed on the top right corner beside your avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

So I had to start a second city because I ran out of garbage space. Definitely have to applaud EA for limiting city space. It's a huge challenge.

EDIT: But the cities aren't connected by roads. G_G

Currently 15/16 spots taken
    VinLieger
    Merger
    Kirby
    Lockie1983
    Newaglish
    Youreadthat
    Grizzly
    Johnny 666
    NotorietyH
    Dcully
    IRL_Sinister
    Mc Love
    .ak
    Belfunk
    nesf

So I had to start a second city because I ran out of garbage space. Definitely have to applaud EA for limiting city space. It's a huge challenge.

EDIT: But the cities aren't connected by roads. G_G

How can you play and i cant?
    I see your playing away on my friends list,i havent managed to get past claiming plot of land for city yet.
    I see reviewers are lowering review scores, Polygon for example which gave a glowing review has once again lowered its score,thats twice now.
    http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I see your playing away on my friends list,i havent managed to get past claiming plot of land for city yet.

Are you on EU West 2?

I see reviewers are lowering review scores, Polygon for example which gave a glowing review has once again lowered its score,thats twice now.
    http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

Too be honest polygons name is mud after this, they have absolutely no reliable reputation left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Too be honest polygons name is mud after this, they have absolutely no reliable reputation left

lol what ?

bizmark wrote: »
    lol what ?

Nearly every other major publication put strong reservations in their reviews talking about the difference between what they experienced in the very small and closed reviewer environment and what could possibly happen on launch, several sites still havent published reviews.
    Polygon were the first out the gate with a glowing reccomendation and talked about none of the possible launch problems envisaged by all the fans and many other journalists. And now they have reduced their score not once but twice? Theyre whole thing seriously looks like fast backpeddling in an effort to save face after other sites like Penny Arcade published strong reservations along with the overall review.
    Plus there already is a strong uncurrent out there among gamers that they are shall we say "persuadable"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

bizmark wrote: »
    lol what ?
    Yeah, I echo this "what".

Polygon gave a review and revised it when more information came out, and again after that. Most reviewers would never do that. This way we get a more accurate reading on how they view the game. If anything it shows that what many reviewers receive from companies is not what the consumer receives. But it'll be interesting to see if they revise the score upward when the servers settle (assuming they will).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

On top of that they also had this live before their review.

About the Polygon review of SimCity

Granted, they probably should have provided a link in the review from the start too.

• Advertisement

See i dont agree with changing the scores it gets you give something a score you stand by it. If there are problems on launch you add that as a supplement to the review stating they were not experienced during the review process and warn people about it but changing the score is a stupid move.
    It opens up the idea that game scores are a changeable thing and not static. What if a piece of DLC or a patch comes out in 3 months and they decide they dont like it? Do they change the score again?

Nearly every other major publication put strong reservations in their reviews talking about the difference between what they experienced in the very small and closed reviewer environment and what could possibly happen on launch, several sites still havent published reviews.
    Polygon were the first out the gate with a glowing reccomendation and talked about none of the possible launch problems envisaged by all the fans and many other journalists. And now they have reduced their score not once but twice? Theyre whole thing seriously looks like fast backpeddling in an effort to save face after other sites like Penny Arcade published strong reservations along with the overall review.
    Plus there already is a strong uncurrent out there among gamers that they are shall we say "persuadable"

That's fair enough tbh. I think reviewers should wait til the server thing is sorted before making a judgement on the game. Whilst it's not great on behalf of publisher/developer, it's hardly fair to judge them on it when in a week's time the servers could be grand, and it could be a hugely popular game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

They reviewed a game in closed doors conditions and found it to be a very good game but fundamental flawed when released to the public to the point features had to be cut to get it semi working and they re scored it as appropriated thats to be lauded imho and rises their reputation in my eyes though i would hope they learn not to test a game such as this is ideal conditions again.

*edit* Ultimately pointless though as metacritic doesnt do rescores so i guess it could well be seen as cynical now i consider it

gizmo wrote: »
    On top of that they also had this live before their review.

About the Polygon review of SimCity

Granted, they probably should have provided a link in the review from the start too.

Fair enough i did not see that and as you said it should have been somewhere in the review

.ak wrote: »
    That's fair enough tbh. I think reviewers should wait til the server thing is sorted before making a judgement on the game. Whilst it's not great on behalf of publisher/developer, it's hardly fair to judge them on it when in a week's time the servers could be grand, and it could be a hugely popular game.

Exactly changing the review score each day of launch week while the game is in constant flux is pointless, either they should have waited OR stick by their score but apply updates to the review explaining the current problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Currently 15/16 spots taken
    VinLieger
    Merger
    Kirby
    Lockie1983
    Newaglish
    Youreadthat
    Grizzly
    Johnny 666
    NotorietyH
    Dcully
    IRL_Sinister
    Mc Love
    .ak
    Belfunk
    nesf
    I'll take the last spot. EU east 1 right?

Unfortunately they've disabled trading features between cities, can't share power, water etc.

ShaneU wrote: »

Unfortunately they've disabled trading features between cities, can't share power, water etc.

Done
    Server will depend on whats working best later on ill post the info here when i set it up.

Currently 16/16 spots taken - Full
    VinLieger
    Merger
    Kirby
    Lockie1983
    Newaglish
    Youreadthat
    Grizzly
    Johnny 666
    NotorietyH
    Dcully
    IRL_Sinister
    Mc Love
    .ak
    Belfunk
    nesf
    ShanU

If theres more people interested we can get another going at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Barlett

ShaneU wrote: »

Is trading not one of the main reasons they said always online was needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Heres everyone ive got listed for the boards.ie region

Currently 7/16 spots taken
    VinLieger
    Merger
    Kirby
    Lockie1983
    Newaglish
    Youreadthat
    Grizzly

ill invite people when i get home from work this evening IF things are working probably gonna do it on europe east 1, anyone else wants in say so below and give your origin name as well so i can figure out who everyone is

I'm on the list as Kirby but just so you know, my origin is hokempokem. I've added a few people already. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Pretty much sums up my point.

Advertisement