Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

VinLieger wrote: »
    How can people working at selling games be so clueless?

They should be somewhat clued in, I remember when GS opened near me, and my mate went for a job, they didnt give it to him because he didnt know that much about computers/gaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They might know a lot about console gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

nesf wrote: »
    They might know a lot about console gaming.

To be fair, what IS there to know about console gaming? Games come in, they sell. Xbox live is a paid for subscription, PSN is free. That game is for adults, that one isn't. The accessories are over there, sir.

I mean, it's so basic how could you not know it? PC's are alot more complex, in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Mc Love wrote: »
    What roads are you using in your Res areas?

High Density Streets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

High Density Streets!

Ahh - thats my downfall so, only using medium and low

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

At roughly the same time another comes into buy Sim City.

Brings up a copy and they ask him if he wants the collectors edition or standard edition.

He asks what the price difference is. Its €49.99 for standard and €59.99 for collectors. What additional content is in it he asks?.

Gamestop employee 1 " the villian content" (he omits the British Buildings pack is included in it)

Guy "na I'll just take the standard edition"

Gamestop employee 1 "no problem and would you like either the French or German Building pack which are sold seperate (and do not contain the villian content and are are priced at €8.99)

Guy "Yeah sure I'll take the French pack"

Lol I'm started to think EA are business geniuses, selling products from clueless shops to clueless people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kirby wrote: »
    To be fair, what IS there to know about console gaming? Games come in, they sell. Xbox live is a paid for subscription, PSN is free. That game is for adults, that one isn't. The accessories are over there, sir.

I mean, it's so basic how could you not know it? PC's are alot more complex, in many ways.

Shows what you know about console gaming, there is a ton more to it than that.

PCs are not that complex to the full understanding of console gaming bar PC specs.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Ahh - thats my downfall so, only using medium and low

110K now. F*cking love this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Azza wrote: »
    "Yeah sure I'll take the French pack"
    tumblr_inline_mh37liDJHl1r19c4b.gif
    Who in gods name would choose to buy the french pack? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

When industrial zones are closing because they have no where to ship there freight to, what does it mean? I thought they shipped to commercial zones but my RCI isnt calling for any commercial zones to be built

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    When industrial zones are closing because they have no where to ship there freight to, what does it mean? I thought they shipped to commercial zones but my RCI isnt calling for any commercial zones to be built

Build a Trade Depot from the "City Specialization" Menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Played for about 3 hours there before being kicked, have to wait another 5 minutes before playing again. Enjoyable so far. Just wondering, if I start a city on Europe west 1, can that city only be played on europe west 1 in future or can I continue it on any of the other servers?

Shows what you know about console gaming, there is a ton more to it than that.

PCs are not that complex to the full understanding of console gaming bar PC specs.

Care to enlighthen me? Bear in mind, I've owned consoles since the eighties and can probably claim to own any console you might care to name.

Consoles are popular because they are simple. They are plug and play devices. No muss, no fuss. You buy a game, you put it in and it works. The most complex thing you will ever do on a modern console is connect it to the internet. Says it all really.

You can teach an employee everything he will need to know and anything he might be asked in a few weeks. Azza's story makes alot of sense. Most game shop employees are ignorant of PC minutia simply because they don't need to know it. 95% of sales are console based.

The mac comment made me chuckle anyway. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Azza wrote: »
    Lol I'm started to think EA are business geniuses, selling products from clueless shops to clueless people.

They're still in business anyway....just:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=EA+Interactive#symbol=ea;range=my;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    Played for about 3 hours there before being kicked, have to wait another 5 minutes before playing again. Enjoyable so far. Just wondering, if I start a city on Europe west 1, can that city only be played on europe west 1 in future or can I continue it on any of the other servers?

It's exclusive to that server.

Build a Trade Depot from the "City Specialization" Menu.

Nice one!! Had seen that menu at all haha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

_Puma_ wrote: »
    If this is the case why is a single player sandbox mode even possible? I am not contesting the fact that for the multiplayer mode that there is some serious bandwidth being used for the server client connection, with updates from neighbouring regions or whatever that occurs every 3 mins, and this is probably causing the servers to fall down. What is my problem is how they can justify the always online connection for something that is basically a single player mode.

What are these server side "simulations" in the one player mode if they exist? Bar global Leaderboards etc.. I cannot imagine anything that is done on a server and piped down to the client that cannot be done far more efficiently on the client itself, even if the data has to be simulated.

Seriously if ya have a link with some solid evidence i'd gladly read it.

Ok to explain it the old Sim City used animations that gave the impression of a living city, little cars would drive around the corner and vanish.

This one is a living city, it has 100,000 individuals that all get up go to work, drive home, drive to shops buys things. This all has to be processed.

On top of that you have all the other individual units of power, water, garbage, oil coal etc. Even the factories produce boxes that are all individuals and can be followed around the city.

Your PC simply can not do this locally and function properly. Your PC handles the simple stuff the local animations etc but the heavy lifting is done by Maxis servers.

So please stop saying always on DRM as it is just wrong. But i do at least respect the stance you have taken, it is not a game you want to play so you have decided not to buy.

I can't understand the people who are looking for refunds.

Customer: I would like to buy the new SimCity
    EA: Ok no worries, you do know this is an online game?
    Customer: Yes i do.
    EA: And with online games there will be times when servers are full or down for maintenance and you might not be able to play and might have to wait your turn?
    Customer: Yes i know that
    EA: And that this is a digital download we don't give refunds on digital downloads you know this?
    Customer : Yes I do, I know i might not be always able to play and that you don't give refund now give me my game.
    EA: Ok here you go here is your game

Customer: The server is full I can't play, this is a scam, nobody told me I couldn't play when the servers are full. I want a refund your game doesn't work!!!! :confused::confused:

I've got almost 150K people living in my city but I'm out of space. I need someone to build a University/heavy industry city in my region please :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I've got almost 150K people living in my city but I'm out of space. I need someone to build a University/heavy industry city in my region please :P

Im at a stable 200k in my first city, took a few hours but its deffinitely possible, whats your tech at? Check the upgrade status of your residential buildings if they are ready to go simply upgrading the surrounding roads to high density will get them upgrading

Im at a stable 200k in my first city, took a few hours but its deffinitely possible, whats your tech at? Check the upgrade status of your residential buildings if they are ready to go simply upgrading the surrounding roads to high density will get them upgrading

Don't have a University to increase tech :<

• Advertisement

Server are you on Sinister? West 1, 2 or 3? I'll make a new city in your region if you send me an invite.

EU West 2.

EDIT: Region is public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I went for an interview for some part time work in GS before, after the manager gave me a big talk on customer service and how they want to build life long customers by not ripping them off he does a little role playing where someone wants to buy a console for his dad who likes shooters but doesn't play too often. So I said get a PS3 the online is free and it offers a blu ray player if he likes movies.

Manager says no we say Xbox360 because we can then sell them Xbox Live membership and we sell them a load of extra add ons and insurance as that is where we make most of our money.

I just smiled with the words not ripping off customers ringing in my ears :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So my experience yesterday

Logged in via proxy at about 17:00 and downloaded game and installed. A little slow to install based on the download speed, but that was fine.
    20:00 came around to sitting down to play, issues getting in so I just went back to WoW.
    20:10 patch release and downloaded that advised fixes and upgrade to capacity
    20:14 I'm in the game playing

Setting up the friends list and joining regions wasn't working smoothly so I setup my own private region and began to play.

12:00 logged out
    12:02 logged back in without proxy
    12:05 back playing my city

03:15 stopped playing.

Come on this morning and the friends list is working fine, we have setup our region together, and there was no issues with queues or capacity. Announcement also indicated capacity was expanded and servers put online to deal with influx of players.

About 15 of us went through the same process, had the same little hiccups outlined above, but all happy and got hours upon hours of play in.

Can't help but feel its people jumping on a bandwagon here. I've nothing to defend EA over, I just don't like seeing people jump on top of a snowball to make it bigger and give it more momentum. If you have ever played an online persistent game you will know a few simple facts from experience
    • Launch night is never smooth
    • Capacity volumes is always underestimated then over estimed
    • Extra hardware is always on standby
    • Capacity is always lower then it can handle, to ensure smooth load. Technical staff monitor activity for the first few hours to ensure stability

I appreciate there was issues within the U.S, and I appreciate there was some issues in the E.U. But who the **** cares, out launch night was today, and by all accounts from my and my friends experiences, was pretty smooth and had little issues.
    If you are giving out based on the fact you had issues trying to log in, going through a proxy, I imagine I don't have to explain why your complaint is completely invalid.

As for Shim's, come on man get a grip. Class action law suit? Its launch day of a persistent online game, that has been getting serious hype in the last few weeks to no doubt increase numbers way beyond what was anticipated, similar to Path of Exile.

Disruptions during launch day are to be expected, a game that launches perfectly without issue should be praised, one that has some, shouldn't be slated.

Maybe we can move on and discuss the game itself now?

Also if there is some people with Regions set up with free spots, gimme a shout via PM and I'll give you my Origin ID, I think I went region 2.

EDIt : I do apologise I see the topic ahs moved back to more discussing the game, either or consider it a small diary on how launch night went, and how it was pretty smooth for me :)

In city related news, had my city making 50k profit per hour, only to have a shock drought in raw materials required for my processor plants, coupled with my aggresive expansion, resulting in a bankrupt city. And I was just about to invite Enda to the game to show it how it is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I went for an interview for some part time work in GS before, after the manager gave me a big talk on customer service and how they want to build life long customers by not ripping them off he does a little role playing where someone wants to buy a console for his dad who likes shooters but doesn't play too often. So I said get a PS3 the online is free and it offers a blu ray player if he likes movies.

Manager says no we say Xbox360 because we can then sell them Xbox Live membership and we sell them a load of extra add ons and insurance as that is where we make most of our money.

I just smiled with the words not ripping off customers ringing in my ears :rolleyes:

Literally had to stop myself from banging my head off my desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

So when are we getting this region going? Plan to crack into the game properly this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Wasn't there a list of names back in this thread?

Heres my 1st go at it last night. Stayed up til all hours :rolleyes:

RUO3Eqi.jpg?1

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

WOW!

How are ye getting your cities to expand?? I cant seem to get up past 50k. I have high density roads most places.

• Advertisement

Newaglish wrote: »
    So when are we getting this region going? Plan to crack into the game properly this evening!

I've already created a public region with space for 16 cities. Unfortunately, direct invites dont seem to be working but if you add me (IRLSinister) then you should be able to find it. It should be good to get an idea of how this whole shared region thing works. I have a population of 150K+. I'm looking for some help with regards to University and industry.

Advertisement