Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

dazftw wrote: »
    Wasn't there a list of names back in this thread?

Heres my 1st go at it last night. Stayed up til all hours :rolleyes:

I like what you did there with the name! XD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kirby wrote: »
    To be fair, what IS there to know about console gaming? Games come in, they sell. Xbox live is a paid for subscription, PSN is free. That game is for adults, that one isn't. The accessories are over there, sir.

I mean, it's so basic how could you not know it? PC's are alot more complex, in many ways.

My point. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I've already created a public region with space for 16 cities. Unfortunately, direct invites dont seem to be working but if you add me (IRLSinister) then you should be able to find it. It should be good to get an idea of how this whole shared region thing works. I have a population of 150K+. I'm looking for some help with regards to University and industry.

I sent ya a friend request in origin a while ago! Can you accept and il start a city? Drexel_1 is the name

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

http://i.imgur.com/RUO3Eqi.jpg?1

Nice city - I dont really like the curved roads and prefer to live off the grid system.

Doesnt that city you are in have loads of oil yet I dont see any oil plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Mc Love wrote: »
    Nice city - I dont really like the curved roads and prefer to live off the grid system.

Doesnt that city you are in have loads of oil yet I dont see any oil plants.

It does, that's an older screen shot. I changed it from coal power to solar and added an oil yoke next to it.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Is it Europe West two ye are on?? Im on it and no one is showing up in my friends list. Am I on the right server or is the friends list broke?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

jonny666 wrote: »
    Is it Europe West two ye are on?? Im on it and no one is showing up in my friends list. Am I on the right server or is the friends list broke?!!

I am at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sorry im still in work if someone else wants to get the region going now go for it :)

jonny666 wrote: »
    How are ye getting your cities to expand?? I cant seem to get up past 50k. I have high density roads most places.

You need to use parks to upgrade the land price then more people will move in and you will get bigger buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Road layout looks fantastic, any issues with traffic?

I've been contemplating deploying more one way streets. From experience of my main city last night having buildings either side obviously increaes traffic, however I went into sandbox this morning and built buildings on one side, and noticed this creates a one way street.

Trade offs being I dont need large two way roads, I can get away with smaller high density streets, and the traffic flow is alot better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

OMFG i have never played anything so addictive.
    When the Polygon review stated it as "Engineering Addiction" i expected addiction but feck me this is on another level altogether.

Quick question do we get an army or some means of protecting against that godzilla dude i saw in a few videos?

Dcully wrote: »
    When the Polygon review stated it as "Engineering Addiction" i expected addiction but feck me this is on another level altogether.

Quick question do we get an army or some means of protecting against that godzilla dude i saw in a few videos?

No he just disappears after a minute or so, although theres been rumours going around that maxis man might do something to him

Think you can use Maximan, thats what I did, although it didnt appear to do much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

TheDoc wrote: »
    Road layout looks fantastic, any issues with traffic?

I've been contemplating deploying more one way streets. From experience of my main city last night having buildings either side obviously increaes traffic, however I went into sandbox this morning and built buildings on one side, and noticed this creates a one way street.

Trade offs being I dont need large two way roads, I can get away with smaller high density streets, and the traffic flow is alot better.

Traffic is fine, I've got lots of bus stops around with full coverage of the whole city.

I'm on Europe 1.. 2 was full when I went to join last night.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

GODZILLA AGAIN. SECOND TIME TODAY. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*K

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The server went on me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Any word on a mac release date? Mad to get into this!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Your PC simply can not do this locally and function properly. Your PC handles the simple stuff the local animations etc but the heavy lifting is done by Maxis servers.

So please stop saying always on DRM as it is just wrong. But i do at least respect the stance you have taken, it is not a game you want to play so you have decided not to buy.

This is simply not true Grumpypants! Nowhere have Maxis come out and said this. The Game Engine runs locally on your machine, you know the game that you downloaded, that's the engine. Otherwise we would all be playing Simcity in a browser/thin client application. Please don't come out with sweeping statements like this to try and justify an always on connection.

Hell this cant even happen with the most modern MMO's and game streaming services, seriously have a look at a client server relationship and get the basics right first.

All the Servers are providing, from what i've read, is data every 3 minutes that updates your client engine with up to date information for multiplayer. No "heavy lifting" as you so elaquantely put it. Hell in the multiplayer section of that article all that is mentioned is Leaderboards(Now defunct) and challenges...

I really despair if that is what people actually think is going on when they connect their game to the internet.

Looks like something is working, Drexel just got into the region I set up. I gifted him 250K to get started :p

I cant seem to be able to join at all, no friends showing up ingame yet they are in origin.

Despite the servers disaster i predict this game will be one of the biggest sellers on PC in quite a few years.
    Pretty much everyone really enjoys it once you get to play.

• Advertisement

_Puma_ wrote: »

I really despair if that is what people actually think is going on when they connect their game to the internet.

Did you read the article you just linked, it mentions, as I've read previously and viewed via interviews during development, that there is computation and simulation that is performed on the central servers during your playtime.

In regards to how heavy it is I'm not sure, and no on really is, as it hasn't being mentioned.

But I'm pretty sure there is some simulation done on the central server that translates out onto your machine. This is also indicated by a number of threads worldwide outlining the " your city has fallen from sync" and the issues that caused, which indicates there is some work done on the centralised servers.

It is also common for online persistent worlds to do some processing on the central servers which is communicated to the client side. World of warcraft is an example which utilises this, even more so just before the latest expansions where you could play the game without issues, before it was even downloaded fully, as the server side could essentially act as buffer for you whilst you played.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yep people giving EA a hard time over this are being ridiculous. If you want to blame anyone you have to look to the developer who felt at least partial cloud gaming was a plausible approach by now. It was a big risk to take and to be fair to them it's still far to early to see if it works. I'm sure EA couldn't care less if the game had been less ambitious and ran on computers without server side computations, servers they have to pay for.

Just had a zombie invasion lols.

I cant seem to be able to join at all, no friends showing up ingame yet they are in origin.

Despite the servers disaster i predict this game will be one of the biggest sellers on PC in quite a few years.
    Pretty much everyone really enjoys it once you get to play.

When will you learn pal :P

But I agree actually, it has the scope to be a really big hit. Due to the fact its online persistent. I'm sure if made like the previous iterations it would have been interesting for few months, there is real general scope here.

There is email planning beyond belief between me and the gang. We are setting a fresh region now we have a handle on the game, all being designated main "goals", as in who will focus on what. Discussing how that will interlink with the rest, possible gaps, contingency plans for disasters, the works.

This is possibly the foundation for tomorrows politicans!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

TheDoc wrote: »
    Did you read the article you just linked, it mentions, as I've read previously and viewed via interviews during development, that there is computation and simulation that is performed on the central servers during your playtime.

In regards to how heavy it is I'm not sure, and no on really is, as it hasn't being mentioned.

But I'm pretty sure there is some simulation done on the central server that translates out onto your machine. This is also indicated by a number of threads worldwide outlining the " your city has fallen from sync" and the issues that caused, which indicates there is some work done on the centralised servers.

It is also common for online persistent worlds to do some processing on the central servers which is communicated to the client side. World of warcraft is an example which utilises this, even more so just before the latest expansions where you could play the game without issues, before it was even downloaded fully, as the server side could essentially act as buffer for you whilst you played.

Jesus wept, where does it say there is computation done for you client engine on the server?? Simulation of data from neighbouring regions is not "server computation", this can easily be handled by the clients engine in the single player mode. This is why there is a single player mode!

From the horses mouth, tracking of data is all the severs do.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Jesus wept, where does it say there is computation done for you client engine on the server?? Simulation of data from neighbouring regions is not "server computation", this can easily be handled by the clients engine in the single player mode. This is why there is a single player mode!

From the horses mouth, tracking of data is all the severs do.

Calm yourself, you keep saying there is none, and linking articles that does nothing to correct the statement.

Im in work so cant youtube, but you can go look yourself if your so inclined. Dev videos where there was confirmation of some computation taking place on the server side. Didn't go into specifics, didn't say high load, didn't say small load. Just said its happening.

Neither of your links have gone to any length to dispel that, not outline anything specific, so why don't you chill out ;)

OK added everyone from the list on origin just missing .ak and Dcullys origin names, sorry if you posted them must have missed them

Be on later - goddamn work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

I'm installing also Fyi Bought it in smyths with the loyalty card I got it for €40 euro! XD but the discount only applies for the day of release I think

• Advertisement

Yeah probably wont get the region started soon still pretty major server issues, managed to sneak onto west 3 and trying to join peoples regions now

Advertisement