Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

VinLieger wrote: »
    OK added everyone from the list on origin just missing .ak and Dcullys origin names, sorry if you posted them must have missed them

Cully_IRL yeah posted already but np, the thread is as busy as SC servers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The reason I am getting annoyed is that people are insisting that the servers are somehow doing something special that cannot be done on the clients engine itself, hence justifying the always online connection. Interpreting data from the client and generating a response is nothing special. It can be done on almost any multiplayer game. It is the basic client server relationship. The fact that there is a single player mode proves there is no "magic" going on in the servers. They are just tracking data.

However the problem I have is that for the single player game, where none of this tracking is neccesary, an always online connection is insisted on. Now ive had a look around for anything that dispute this and can find nothing. Ive kept up to date with the game since it was announced and have read extensively about the glassbox engine, nowhere have I read the contrary.

Why not have the Multiplayer and offline single player Seperate?? The reason is that EA have insisted on always online DRM to be implemented. This I find is unacceptable and spin about server computation is just that ,spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Jesus wept, where does it say there is computation done for you client engine on the server?? Simulation of data from neighbouring regions is not "server computation", this can easily be handled by the clients engine in the single player mode. This is why there is a single player mode!
    From what I've been reading the server-side computation actually seems to be precisely that, a simulation of the effects of data from your city and every other one in the region. That's then sent back and processed locally for your city to react to. I can't find any specific reference to server-side computation being required for your individual city.

So, in terms of the single player aspect, yes, technically you should be able to create and build your own city entirely off-line. Their architecture doesn't allow this, however, as every city created in a region, regardless of privacy settings, is created server side. You seem to be correct in saying that, in such circumstances, the only online functionality is the leaderboards.

I've not played the game yet, but for those who have, can you create a region privately and then later set it to public and begin interacting with other cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

spark20130308173544.png

My first city. Not quite as pretty as Daz's one but everyone is happy, growth is high and I've only had one tornado disaster so things are going well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kirby wrote: »
    spark20130308173544.png

My first city. Not quite as pretty as Daz's one but everyone is happy, growth is high and I've only had one tornado disaster so things are going well! :D

Nice was trying to get onto your region on west 3 but its set to private

• Advertisement

I'll try to open it or invite you but the servers aren't being very co-operative.

I'll try to open it or invite you but the servers aren't being very co-operative.

Yeah just a bit

Okay I invited you to the region. I think you have to be logged in to europe west 3 to accept tho. Region is called Noob Boardsville :)

Okay I invited you to the region. I think you have to be logged in to europe west 3 to accept tho. Region is called Noob Boardsville :)

Excellent got in a second ago but instantly booted, trying again now

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Opportunist Kickstarter? (Sim City variant, Civitas)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d
    Out of all of the possible types of games our fledgling studio could pick as our first project, why did we pick a city simulation title as our first effort?

Easy, it was out of a combination of how much we loved some of the original city simulation games back in the early PC days and our displeasure with the direction the new SimCity has taken under the iron fist of EA. We don't agree with the removal of single player, the lack of terraforming, lack of modding, and above all them forcing the worst form of draconian DRM on its players known as the "Always On-line" requirement. They are seriously not going to let you play their game if you aren't online. Anyone that has ever been forced to play under that DRM knows how terrible it is. Not only can your internet access stop you from playing, if EA is having any server issues (Yeah those never happen right?) you'll get a nice fat error message instead of your game starting. Forget playing while traveling or anything. This is not a good recipe for a simulation game. EA should really just rename it SimFarmVille and get it over with.

Then they started banning people for simply disagreeing with the "Always Online" DRM requirement. That was really the last straw for us. We came from studios that had to be hindered with orders like that from publishers, and it took so much away from our final products. We can build a better experience. We don't have to treat our players like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone wrote: »
    DRM is a pain in the ass, but as long as piracy levels are so high I cant see it going away, or if it does, it will be replaced by some other method.
    This sort of DRM drives people to piracy.
    humanji wrote: »
    MMO's are perfect examples of games that are long running and online, and don't have problems giving people access to the game.
    Is there many of these MMO's that only have a one time purchase?
    humanji wrote: »
    The original Sim City games were singleplayer games. This one is designed as a multiplayer game. You can survive working on your own, but the major aspects that the developers were going for, involve you interacting with other cities. Time will tell if this works out. But it's by no means designed as a singleplayer game.
    Some had a multiplayer option, but you all had to be online during the session. The one thing I dislike about Sim Town is it's size. I suppose i wanted them to make a Sim City game...
    Azza wrote: »
    Maxis have already said city size will be expanded sometime after release.http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/01/simcity-city-size-maxis/
    Didn't know that, but I'll wait until the SC5 + expansion bundle comes out so that I can play a decent sized map.

=-=

How many of these sections are you allowed to control at once? Is there a limit? Tempted to buy the game, but am afraid I'd get bored or the restrictions.

Oh, and what happens to the neighbouring cities that depend on you when your city gets hit my earthquakes/aliens/etc? Can you just leave your city, and start a fresh one, and if so, how many times can you do this?

Servers are being a right pain since 6pm. Obvious why but it's still annoying.

Right gonna take a break for a few hours. Anybody who wants to can add me. hokempokem on origin. I'm on europe west 3 with my region called Noob boardsville :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can't log in at all now, thanks Europe :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,533 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i just played a bit of the tutorial for half an hour. then got kicked.

like the look of it, nut the golf is starting soon so i will leave it for the next few hours. might try again later if i don't head for the pub.

my user name is tl1979 if any one wants to add me, but i will need a bit of practice before i will try join any groups I think !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Added most of you, heres the list:
    IRLSinister
    Belfunk1983
    Hokempokem
    Drexel_1
    NotorietyH
    Cully_IRL
    Nesf
    lockie83406
    VinLieger
    Nichollz

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Mc Love wrote: »
    Added most of you, heres the list:
    IRLSinister
    Belfunk1983
    Hokempokem
    Drexel_1
    NotorietyH
    Cully_IRL
    Nesf
    lockie83406
    VinLieger
    Nichollz

Add Pengisu2

Merger wrote: »
    Add Pengisu2

Done - got in but it wont load the boards region

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I had to take a break earlier after reaching a pop of 210K, but for the people interested I've my public region basically up and running. I have 2 of my own cities as well Mc Love's too so it's moving on nicely. I'm just waiting for a few more $$ so that I can invest $1,000,000 into the Arcology project. If people want to join in (I'll be adding an airport soon) the server is public (Servers Busy) <-- that's the name or add me on Origin IRLSinister. I guess this is best for now until we have a region set up with all 16 of the boardsies (won't happen until server issues are resolved).

EDIT: Can't log on and my girlfriend is coming in 30 mins :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

_Puma_ wrote: »
    This is simply not true Grumpypants! Nowhere have Maxis come out and said this. The Game Engine runs locally on your machine, you know the game that you downloaded, that's the engine. Otherwise we would all be playing Simcity in a browser/thin client application. Please don't come out with sweeping statements like this to try and justify an always on connection.

Hell this cant even happen with the most modern MMO's and game streaming services, seriously have a look at a client server relationship and get the basics right first.

All the Servers are providing, from what i've read, is data every 3 minutes that updates your client engine with up to date information for multiplayer. No "heavy lifting" as you so elaquantely put it. Hell in the multiplayer section of that article all that is mentioned is Leaderboards(Now defunct) and challenges...

I really despair if that is what people actually think is going on when they connect their game to the internet.

Lucy Bradshaw, SVP Maxis "GlassBox is the engine that drives the entire game -- the buildings, the economics, trading, and also the overall simulation that can track data for up to 100,000 individual Sims inside each city. There is a massive amount of computing that goes into all of this, and GlassBox works by attributing portions of the computing to EA servers (the cloud) and some on the player's local computer."

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Had to give up for a while! Kept kicking me!

• Advertisement

After ripping up half the city's roads and demolishing peoples houses and places of work in some sort of dodgy FF road improvement scheme, I found the road upgrade button :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

kind of interested in buying this based on the hype just wondering would I be better off buying Simcity 4 to see if I'd enjoy this kind of game before lashing out for this version, (last sim I played was Theme Park ) and I really liked enjoyed that. Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone else just kicked out of the game?

Servers are bloody awful at the moment. Constant disconnections. Nightmare :P.

kind of interested in buying this based on the hype just wondering would I be better off buying Simcity 4 to see if I'd enjoy this kind of game before lashing out for this version, (last sim I played was Theme Park ) and I really liked enjoyed that. Thanks

You will like it I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like it from all walks and tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

It's great. The connection issues are a problem but that's just something you have to take on the chin. I love the game so far, even after a raging, giant lizard tried to rip apart my city..... TWICE!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

It's great. The connection issues are a problem but that's just something you have to take on the chin. I love the game so far, even after a raging, giant lizard tried to rip apart my city..... TWICE!

what's your region called?

I have had no connection issues all day logged into EU east 3 this morning at 1 and have been live all day. This wasn't the case for the last few days but it does look like things are settling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

not for me or my mates
    we cant login at all

• Advertisement

Been on West Eur 1 since half six but getting kicked constantly for about 10 mins. It also wont load any friends for me so I cant invite anyway even if I wanted to!

Advertisement