Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Servers Busy region is filling up fast. My city is done pretty much. Ore and Coal mining, with a highly educated population which researched me a giant wind turbine for clean energy.

I also have a recycling plant taking in all the alloys, metals and plastics from the other regions.

Oh, and a massive stadium. Hundreds of thousands of the other cities sims came in on my train station to watch a rock concert :P

KirbyVille is officially a success!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Have to say after playing for a good few hours last night I'm a little disappointed with it. It's a great game but there seems to be features missing.

The mass transit options are useless. Just busses and passenger trains. No subway. No monorail.

No highways. I loved making massive highways with massive junctions.

The maps are very small. No terrain editor either. Althought this could be in sandbox
    Mode I'm not sure.

Other small problems but I think they may be server related. Don't think the RCI indicator is working right. Crime seems a
    Little messed up too

Also, I'm rich. I'm at about 750k so I'll save the million for the Airport for the region and stick it in the works spot. Freight and tourists for all! Server's Busy shall flourish! :D
    No monorail

There kind of is. They have a Luas system for the most advanded avenue. I have one in my city. Thats monorail....sort of. :)

Kirby wrote: »
    Also, I'm rich. I'm at about 750k so I'll save the million for the Airport for the region and stick it in the works spot. Freight and tourists for all! Server's Busy shall flourish! :D

There kind of is. They have a Luas system for the most advanded avenue. I have one in my city. Thats monorail....sort of. :)

The street car. Ya I suppose. No subway is a big omission I think. Goina be on now soon to put the finishing touches to my city!
    Might see what your airport does to my city!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well got in last night after some serious delays, a number of hours. PLayed till 4am and the time just flew by, really enjoying it. Playing with all my mates and its such an experience.

Unfortunately waiting since 9am this morning to get in, only 1 guy in. We arnt moving to all these new servers, we have our setup all on West 1. I see the head of Maxis announced this morning all the early adopters will get a free EA game of their choice to compensate.

Really disappointed with the guys on this one. SWTOR was such a fail launch, you'd think they would have learned ..... Pity considering the game is getting ALL the wrong press, when the actual game, playing it, is incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone who has bought the game and had login issues will get a free game, apparently.
    Probably some muck like Crysis3? :P
    Dcully wrote: »
    Friends still not showing up ingame but are in origin :(
    Ive yet to team up with anybody.
    I've found you have to manually add them in-game.

=-=

Left the game on all night. This morning the place is fecked, lots of abandoned lots, high crime rate, but on the plus side, I'm still able to play :P

jonny666 wrote: »
    The street car. Ya I suppose. No subway is a big omission I think. Goina be on now soon to put the finishing touches to my city!
    Might see what your airport does to my city!!

It's all our airport, assuming we are connected. It goes on the Greatworks spot.. I was considering a Space shuttle thingy but I tink the airport is a better option.

Anyone having trouble with the speed? it doesnt seem to be working! also my time has disappeared too!!

Well cheetah speed is disabled. I mean you can click it, but it just does Llama speed. If it's bugged, try closing it down and reloading. Risky but if you have to.

Right, I plopped down the Airport. It needs metal, alloys and oil. Oil is the big one because I don't have any. If anybody in the region can send some oil, it would be a big help. You need to click on the airport in the great work and click give oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

.ak wrote: »
    Installing now. What's the story with the boards.ie region?

As far as I can tell, there's a lot of people on my region - Servers Busy. Add me on Origin (IRLSinister) or search for it in-game. It's public. The Server is EU West 2.

EDIT: I used up ALL the oil in one of my cities, LOL. Will try the other!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So do people plan what they want their city to look like first, or start small, and add on as you need to?

I've always suffered this problem with Sim City games, I react rather than proact.

Considering purchasing when I get my computer back up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Same here I am in a private region building on my own on one city and it really takes away from the game. Stacks of Oil, coal and ore just sitting in depots doing nothing. I even turned off the wind farms and built an oil power plant just to use some of it up:D.

I have another city in a public zone surrounded by cities and it is a completely different experience. The game really is a multiplayer experience, I have fire trucks helping out neighbors, I have a sewage treatment plant so I can take their waste and process it. Started getting a load of murders and arsonist coming to live in my lovely city though from my neighbors had to ramp up police protection. I have 8 squad cars and a 2 story jail cell stuck to the side of the station and my city is only 1/4 off the map and just broke the 15,000 population mark.

I am in the Servers Busy region but I am only able to connect with one city so far. When I was going on last night, I somehow ended up with two cities in the same region. Can I leave one city?

I can't connect to the game. :/

Rugby match in 2 hours, have a feeling I won't be getting on >_<

I can't connect to the game. :/

yeah I was in a minute ago and came out as the other city was loading and now it wont open back up for me even though its running although Task Manager says it has stopped responding :(

How do people get higher density neighbourhoods, something I havent mastered yet!

Mc Love wrote: »
    How do people get higher density neighbourhoods, something I havent mastered yet!

High Density Streets. I also learned something sweet yesterday -- if you click that "smiley face" button on the bottom bar you can check what each individual wealth group (for RCI) wants/needs and is happy/unhappy about. If you can constantly get those bars in the green and with >> arrows beside them you can begin growing in density.

High Density Streets. I also learned something sweet yesterday -- if you click that "smiley face" button on the bottom bar you can check what each individual wealth group (for RDI) wants/needs and is happy/unhappy about. If you can constantly get those bars in the green and with >> arrows beside them you can begin growing in density.

Might look in to that, I keep getting asked for medium wealth commercial but I have provided parks , but nothing changes.

I cant get in at all now - think I have had a good run of over 8 hours today, will leave it for a while.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Might look in to that, I keep getting asked for medium wealth commercial but I have provided parks , but nothing changes.

I cant get in at all now - think I have had a good run of over 8 hours today, will leave it for a while.

The pain of logging off!

Kirby wrote: »
    Well cheetah speed is disabled. I mean you can click it, but it just does Llama speed. If it's bugged, try closing it down and reloading. Risky but if you have to.

Right, I plopped down the Airport. It needs metal, alloys and oil. Oil is the big one because I don't have any. If anybody in the region can send some oil, it would be a big help. You need to click on the airport in the great work and click give oil.

Im producing a lot of oil. Il start giving it later tonight when Im bakc on that city"!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ok for those of you who have this, how different is it really from Sim City 4? I'm really tempted by this but I'd rather be able to run the game on full settings, rather than minimum and I'm not sure my connection would be stable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Jernal wrote: »
    Ok for those of you who have this, how different is it really from Sim City 4? I'm really tempted by this but I'd rather be able to run the game on full settings, rather than minimum and I'm not sure my connection would be stable enough.

There quite different. I'd still prefer using Sim City 4 if I want to build a true city. The new Sim City is about simulation really. I think without bigger maps, long-term I'll go back to SC4 again.

Any one having trouble with the RCI? Mainly the commercial bit?

Just deleted my entire first city. Gonna start from scratch. It was bleeding money AND losing population :/

EDIT: At least I'll have something to work on when the match is over =)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Does the city I make follow the server? ie, if I go back to play do I need to pick the same server?

I ask because I resumed the game after playing earlier and my city was nowhere to he seen. It kept asking me to play the tutorial.

quarryman wrote: »
    Does the city I make follow the server? ie, if I go back to play do I need to pick the same server?

I ask because I resumed the game after playing earlier and my city was nowhere to he seen. It kept asking me to play the tutorial.

Yeah I believe it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I haven't played a sim city game since sim city 2000 over 10 years ago. All this talk of building cities is makin me want to play, which one is the best to get (including this new sim city)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

There quite different. I'd still prefer using Sim City 4 if I want to build a true city. The new Sim City is about simulation really. I think without bigger maps, long-term I'll go back to SC4 again.

Bought SC4 for $13 this week, are there any graphical upgrade mods? I hear there's a great community around it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Right ive played a lot now and the city size is just too small.
    Its totally ruining the experience for me im afraid :(
    The always on connection,issues connecting i can live with but having a so called city building sim with a tiny size restriction is enough for me to drop my overall score form a 9 or 10/10 to about 5 or 6, its inexcusable imo.
    I know its to allow a much wider user base who may not have a good spec pc or laptop but to me this is no city sim its Sim Town.
    Im pretty sure the more people play the more they will see the massive limitations of such a tiny zone to build in.

It makes me wonder when i can build zones in Anno 2070 that are vastly bigger than i can in sim city while looking just as good if not better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dcully wrote: »
    Right ive played a lot now and the city size is just too small.
    Its totally ruining the experience for me im afraid :(
    The always on connection,issues connecting i can live with but having a so called city building sim with a tiny size restriction is enough for me to drop my overall score form a 9 or 10/10 to about 5 or 6, its inexcusable imo.
    I know its to allow a much wider user base who may not have a good spec pc or laptop but to me this is no city sim its Sim Town.
    Im pretty sure the more people play the more they will see the massive limitations of such a tiny zone to build in.

It makes me wonder when i can build zones in Anno 2070 that are vastly bigger than i can in sim city while looking just as good if not better.

I feel the same about the map size,I just do not feel like playing this atm,went back to guild wars 2 again,I'm glad I brought it with a voucher and not my own cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Really tempted with this.

Advertisement