Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Steam has Tropico 4 on Sale to make use of the fact that Sim City is awful !
    10 euro for the whole Bundle !! :D

Suggest you all buy that instead and save yourself 40euro ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The city size is terrible imo - not being able to expand when there is some space on the map, even if they gave you the option to expand into the next city would be ideal. Industry crying out for workers, no space, have to wait for residential areas to go to high density, nearly went broke a while ago but I created an earthquake and sorted it out. Profitable again!

Its a good game, but the city size is too small

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mc Love wrote: »
    The city size is terrible imo - not being able to expand when there is some space on the map, even if they gave you the option to expand into the next city would be ideal. Industry crying out for workers, no space, have to wait for residential areas to go to high density, nearly went broke a while ago but I created an earthquake and sorted it out. Profitable again!

Its a good game, but the city size is too small

and no terraforming which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

will buy this in a year or so, when EA releases the inevitable plethora of addons etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Steam has Tropico 4 on Sale to make use of the fact that Sim City is awful !
    10 euro for the whole Bundle !! :D

Suggest you all buy that instead and save yourself 40euro ! :D

I'll be honest while playing I thought of T4 and Anno 2070 many times and how much space I had to operate, if anything I appreciate them more now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Stacks of Oil, coal and ore just sitting in depots doing nothing. I even turned off the wind farms and built an oil power plant just to use some of it up:D.

Do you know you can sell them on the market from the trading depo? There's a switch in there somewhere to toggle between storage, buying and selling.

Got the game there on Friday morning (12:01am). Seemed to be ready to play at about 30% downloaded, which was a nice surprise, and so far no problems whatsoever connecting or playing on servers.

"Cheetah" speed seems to be enabled for me – unless I just haven't noticed that it's the same as speed 2.

Also, my Internet connection dropped mid-game at one point – all that happened was a little notification in the top corner. I finished what I was doing in game, reset my router, and continued on totally uninterrupted.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

In terms of the game... totally addictive. And I'm loving it. Two long sessions so far but I'm away from it now for the weekend :(.

Small city size would be my only complaint but with the ability to manage a number of cities in a region (in a "single player" game at least), I can see how it might work out. Rather than stuffing all you want into one city, spread it out over the region. Which presents a nice additional challenge of balancing everything harmoniously.

I'm not in much hurry to try the social / multiplayer stuff (why does everything have to be multiplayer?!) but once I figured out you can hop between "sites" and build up a whole region by yourself.... well, I certainly didn't get much work done on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

My friends are playing on a server that's full, I can't join them. Does this mean that I won't ever be able to join them on that one? or will it free up some space later tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

My friends are playing on a server that's full, I can't join them. Does this mean that I won't ever be able to join them on that one? or will it free up some space later tonight?

It only means you can't join that server right now. Later on it might have spaces available.

Playing away on my own for the past three or so hours - really enjoying it.

I need to relearn some simcity concepts - particularily how the cities relate to each other in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

There is def something up with zoning. 3 cites ive made and demand for commercial zones at all. Just homes and industrial. But if I dont zone commercial people complain and it wont expand

Edit: I agree. City size sucks balls. If EA release DLC of bigger maps il uninstall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Is the free game ea are offering as compensation for server problems just for america or for europe too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Goodshape wrote: »
    Do you know you can sell them on the market from the trading depo? There's a switch in there somewhere to toggle between storage, buying and selling.

Got the game there on Friday morning (12:01am). Seemed to be ready to play at about 30% downloaded, which was a nice surprise, and so far no problems whatsoever connecting or playing on servers.

"Cheetah" speed seems to be enabled for me – unless I just haven't noticed that it's the same as speed 2.

Also, my Internet connection dropped mid-game at one point – all that happened was a little notification in the top corner. I finished what I was doing in game, reset my router, and continued on totally uninterrupted.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

In terms of the game... totally addictive. And I'm loving it. Two long sessions so far but I'm away from it now for the weekend :(.

Small city size would be my only complaint but with the ability to manage a number of cities in a region (in a "single player" game at least), I can see how it might work out. Rather than stuffing all you want into one city, spread it out over the region. Which presents a nice additional challenge of balancing everything harmoniously.

I'm not in much hurry to try the social / multiplayer stuff (why does everything have to be multiplayer?!) but once I figured out you can hop between "sites" and build up a whole region by yourself.... well, I certainly didn't get much work done on Friday.

Speed 2 & 3 are currently the exact same, even if activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Tried to buy this just now via GMG with the 20% off but it's not going through.

Dunno if that's a good thing or not :P

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Is the free game ea are offering as compensation for server problems just for america or for europe too?

You'll find out in 9 days time :>

Patch released:
    Update: 03/09/2013

SimCity Update 1.3

This update to SimCity contains the following updates and fixes:

General

• Fix for a crash related to the highway interchanges and vehicles.
    • Traffic was optimized for complex road sections.
    • Fix for a specific case of city processing that forced players to rollback their cities to a previous state.
    • Fix for a crash some players saw when exiting their city.
    • Rapidly clicking or accidently double clicking the Claim city button will no longer create multiple regions.
    • We temporarily removed filtering by friends and maps on the Join Game screen to better support database performance. Players can still find friends' regions by going to their friends' profile pages.

Servers

• Various database optimization to address issues with connecting to our servers
    • We've added 8 new servers (Oceanic 2, NA East 3, NA West 4, EU West 5, NA West 3, EU East 4, NA East 4 and EU West 6).

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I've been making use of recycling in a city with no natural resources except water. I reclaim plastic and alloy from it and send it to a factory to make processors to sell. Pretty cool addition to my economy. :D

I've been making use of recycling in a city with no natural resources except water. I reclaim plastic and alloy from it and send it to a factory to make processors to sell. Pretty cool addition to my economy. :D

Okay, so I learned something really cool today.

*** WARNING ***

This is NOT suggested for your first city

*** WARNING ***

So I have two cities (one is a machine with over 200K population) in the Region. My first city was going good, and then it started to wither REALLY badly. So I literally demolished the entire thing and started from scratch. HOWEVER, ALL my previous researches, etc, stayed over!! So basically, I had educated Sims, most of the City Hall Features unlocked, etc. FURTHERMORE, all my RCI zones IMMEDIATELY increased density. I've used only a tiny part of my city's structure, but I've managed to already obtain a population of 50K in a tiny space of land.

Looking forward to seeing how far I can bring this city when I get a chance.

TL,DR: After you've got enough experience, demolish your first city in its entirety and start anew. You will reap rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Is there are a way to have zero industry in in your city and just let sims commute to neighbouring citie full of industry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Is there are a way to have zero industry in in your city and just let sims commute to neighbouring citie full of industry

i'd be interested to know this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

quarryman wrote: »
    i'd be interested to know this too.

Yes you can.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Okay, so I learned something really cool today.

*** WARNING ***

This is NOT suggested for your first city

*** WARNING ***

So I have two cities (one is a machine with over 200K population) in the Region. My first city was going good, and then it started to wither REALLY badly. So I literally demolished the entire thing and started from scratch. HOWEVER, ALL my previous researches, etc, stayed over!! So basically, I had educated Sims, most of the City Hall Features unlocked, etc. FURTHERMORE, all my RCI zones IMMEDIATELY increased density. I've used only a tiny part of my city's structure, but I've managed to already obtain a population of 50K in a tiny space of land.

Looking forward to seeing how far I can bring this city when I get a chance.

TL,DR: After you've got enough experience, demolish your first city in its entirety and start anew. You will reap rewards.

I'm doing something similar I purposely build a nightmare of a city loads of small roads, circles, diagonals. Put Dr Vu in it so it was also a crime cesspit with pollution and sewage everywhere. Loads of oil and industry so it make tons of money and now i'm trying to clean it up.

Upgraded all the roads, put in new police stations, jails, sewage treatment plants and have put in Maxis man. Half way through cleaning up this city and it's a lot of fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone have any region for me to join?

Finally caved in and bought the game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They must have released an update - currently processing large file

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'm on EU west 1 if you want to join mine. daz0rz is my origin name

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Oceanic 2, called eastern isles, looking for someone on there if you want. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

You can join mine, I just started a couple of hours ago.

Add me on Origin: quarrymanpaul

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My Origin ID is SierraOscar if anyone wants to add me, will make creating regions much easier. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya it's starting to get addictive now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I cant decided if i should pick this up or not, hearing a lot complaints etc.

But i was wondering can you build like a prison city and then get payed to hold other cities criminals ?

• Advertisement

****........I just got kicked,pain in the ass.

Advertisement